Why I Think Hoffa Has Been Bought-Off

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This isn't crazy talk. For over a year now, the Teamsters won't even return phone calls or acknowledge emails. Even if they weren't interested in organizing Express (they aren't), one would assume they would be professional enough (and courteous enough) to at least talk with us, provide advice, and/or move toward an eventual organization drive. Instead, we get nothing.

That means locals are being directed by the national IBT not to talk to us. Given Fred's propensity for buying politicians, why not buy-off your biggest threat directly? I really think Hoffa and Hall are on the take from Mr. Smith.

dezguy

I'm new here and have been lurking for a few weeks after finding this site by accident. I don't understand why you're so hung up on the Teamsters. Is there not another union that could take up the challenge of organizing FedEx other than Teamsters? Just because UPS is represented by IBT, does that mean FedEx does as well?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Is there not another union that could take up the challenge of organizing FedEx other than Teamsters?
Good question.

I think the Teamsters want us to believe they're the only one's for the job even though another union could. It would take some serious convincing to get another union interested in representing us but if they want the membership, well here we are.

As far as the Teamsters organizers go, they strike me as a lazy bunch with a very uninspiring "leader." It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hoffa found it easier just to take Fred's money.

dezguy

Good question.

I think the Teamsters want us to believe they're the only one's for the job even though another union could. It would take some serious convincing to get another union interested in representing us but if they want the membership, well here we are.

As far as the Teamsters organizers go, they strike me as a lazy bunch with a very uninspiring "leader." It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hoffa found it easier just to take Fred's money.

It just seems to me, if IBT is ignoring you guys, why would you want them representing you? That would send up a red flag for me. I'm not sure how many employees Express has in the States but I'd have to imagine it would be a pretty significant number. You'd think that would be incentive on it's own for another union to try and take up the fight if Teamsters was unwilling to.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
This isn't crazy talk. For over a year now, the Teamsters won't even return phone calls or acknowledge emails. Even if they weren't interested in organizing Express (they aren't), one would assume they would be professional enough (and courteous enough) to at least talk with us, provide advice, and/or move toward an eventual organization drive. Instead, we get nothing.

That means locals are being directed by the national IBT not to talk to us. Given Fred's propensity for buying politicians, why not buy-off your biggest threat directly? I really think Hoffa and Hall are on the take from Mr. Smith.

They won't return your call, because they know that we have a "bunch of cowards" here at the plantation (and yes, I'm considered a "person of color" and I said it). In the 90's we tried numerous times to gather my peers. They all talked a good game, but when it came time to "sign the card", they all disappeared. I don't blame them .. why waste your time with a force that doesn't give a rats, what Fred does to them or their family.

fedupped

That was then, this is now..my card is signed. In the 90's I felt pretty good about how the company treated us. not anymore.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They won't return your call, because they know that we have a "bunch of cowards" here at the plantation (and yes, I'm considered a "person of color" and I said it). In the 90's we tried numerous times to gather my peers. They all talked a good game, but when it came time to "sign the card", they all disappeared. I don't blame them .. why waste your time with a force that doesn't give a rats, what Fred does to them or their family.
There are too many people indebted to their American dream of over-sized homes, cars, gadgets and of course families etc.. I definitely see it at big brown. Not everyone, but a fair portion. That's one thing that people tend to underestimate. I've heard arguments against this concept. This indebtedness is owed to their living less than modestly, for a modest income. No, they won't risk organizing and any threat of being out of an income with these life burdens.

fedupped

There are too many people indebted to their American dream of over-sized homes, cars, gadgets and of course families etc.. I definitely see it at big brown. Not everyone, but a fair portion. That's one thing that people tend to underestimate. I've heard arguments against this concept. This indebtedness is owed to their living less than modestly, for a modest income. No, they won't risk organizing and any threat of being out of an income with these life burdens.
Are you talking about upper mgmt?

Are you talking about upper mgmt?

Their was a reason why his old man left this earth....................oh wait he was a corrupt piece of garbage!...time for his sell out kid to leave or join him...whatever........................garbage in..garbage out...TIME TO GO FAT ASS SELL OUT HOFFA! dOnt let the door or (me) hit you in your fat corrupt ass!

Sniper

Nicely said.... needs vs "wants"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nicely said.... needs vs "wants"
Right on. The oldschool union mentality, correct me if I'm wrong, is living modestly and not taking on large sums of debt.

For that reason, in a roundabout way, I have to agree with Noneyabiz. It is cowardly - but by design. (see any of the corporate consumerist PR, post WWII)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
From what I understand, Hoffa and Teamsters pulled the plug organizing Fedex stations in MA because of politics. Hoffa was afraid that if they failed to organize FedEx, it would poorly reflect his campaign he would lose re-election votes.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
From what I understand, Hoffa and Teamsters pulled the plug organizing Fedex stations in MA because of politics. Hoffa was afraid that if they failed to organize FedEx, it would poorly reflect his campaign he would lose re-election votes.
Oh I see he's looking out for number 1 instead of the Teamsters as an organization. Hoffa is such an a*****e.

His latest unionizing attempt with the American Airlines mechanics was a big flop and was nothing more than a poaching attempt since those mechanics were already under a different union.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Oh I see he's looking out for number 1 instead of the Teamsters as an organization. Hoffa is such an a*****e.

His latest unionizing attempt with the American Airlines mechanics was a big flop and was nothing more than a poaching attempt since those mechanics were already under a different union.

From what I've heard, IAM has been negotiating some awful ****ty contracts on behalf of their members. While I don't agree with poaching --especially when the total union density in the US is 11% and dropping; this pond is big enough for all of us -- the IBT only lost by some 400 or 500 votes.

If IBT managed to start picking off Ground terminals (especially the larger ones, I'm thinking of one in particular situated at the nerve center of two or three of the major highway corridors on the east coast), one-by-one, and was able to start getting Freight hubs as well.. that would be an awful lot of leverage. If, say, half of the Ground hubs in the country were organized along with a similar number of Freight terminals and the pilots could be counted on honoring a picket line, IBT could essentially (I'm guessing here, not sure if this is possible under the RLA but I know it can/has been be bargained for under the NLRA as we did with Overnite when UPS bought them out..) force card check on Express. Total pie-in-the-sky, never gonna happen, dream scenario.. but you get the idea.

Still, that would be one helluva loaded gun pointed at Fred S's head.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
From what I've heard, IAM has been negotiating some awful ****ty contracts on behalf of their members. While I don't agree with poaching --especially when the total union density in the US is 11% and dropping; this pond is big enough for all of us -- the IBT only lost by some 400 or 500 votes.

If IBT managed to start picking off Ground terminals (especially the larger ones, I'm thinking of one in particular situated at the nerve center of two or three of the major highway corridors on the east coast), one-by-one, and was able to start getting Freight hubs as well.. that would be an awful lot of leverage. If, say, half of the Ground hubs in the country were organized along with a similar number of Freight terminals and the pilots could be counted on honoring a picket line, IBT could essentially (I'm guessing here, not sure if this is possible under the RLA but I know it can/has been be bargained for under the NLRA as we did with Overnite when UPS bought them out..) force card check on Express. Total pie-in-the-sky, never gonna happen, dream scenario.. but you get the idea.

Well said, grasshopper. But you overlook the awesome power of the BBQ.

Time for HOFFA to go anyways. WE need a term limit on these guys! Now he is grooming his kid to be the next Teamster leader. ENOUGH OF THE HOFFA family...............time to go.....bub bye..................thanx for selling out your members...POS

BBQ/cookout/work/outing/fundays go a long way in union-busting. Beats the hell out of me why it does, but it does. Some people can't see through the propaganda or worse yet don't care to.

Alot of our own union members dont care! OH yes give me the call..and ill come in on my vacation!..wtf??no more unity...BROWN IS loving this! They dont have to (break us) we are doing a pretty good job ourselves!

xfdxgroundmgmt

One thing many of you may or may not know, many years ago A RPS station in Chicago went union! However RPS did not give a single piece of **** to the union's requests for compensation. After enough time the amount of union positive people had been termed for good reason or quit. Leaving the facility open to reject the union which they did. Going one by one at ground would not help that fight, it would have to be many all at once and a quick strike. The technology in the facilities allows a brand new hire to be as successful as they need to be. Sure everything may slow down because of lack of experience repetition of loading or unloading but, it wouldn't stop the train.