Why is UPS charging me so much?

rod

Retired 22 years
For the average Joe Blow UPS is SPENDY!!!!! Especially if you send it out through a UPS Store.
You get what you pay for in life. Why is it you want to switch shipping companies?

Not so true in this day and age. Speaking as an outsider I have had good experiences with all the shipping companies. USPs-UPS-FedEx and FedEx Ground. They all get the job done and you are able to track your stuff with all of them. I will say that I get the least amount of stuff being shipped to me by UPS---maybe its because they are so costly. Most of my stuff comes FedEx Ground now days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For the average Joe Blow UPS is SPENDY!!!!! Especially if you send it out through a UPS Store.

Not so true in this day and age. Speaking as an outsider I have had good experiences with all the shipping companies. USPs-UPS-FedEx and FedEx Ground. They all get the job done and you are able to track your stuff with all of them. I will say that I get the least amount of stuff being shipped to me by UPS---maybe its because they are so costly. Most of my stuff comes FedEx Ground now days.

If you were truly an outsider you wouldn't spend so much time here.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have an eBay store and ship quite a lot of products via FedEx. I want to switch over to UPS for many reasons. I heard that they were roughly the same price, so I tried to ship a $15 toaster with UPS and they were charging me $28!! (Box 8x8x12 2lb 8oz) FedEx only charged me $8. I know that theres discounts available, but i dont think it would be enough to beat $8. Is there a reason the charge is so high? I really want to switch over to UPS, I'm fed up with using FedEx.
Thanks
A 5 pound box from NY to CA is quoted as $18.15 on the UPS website.

That $28 quote is ridiculous.

FedEx website says $15.64 for the same delivery.

Our list price is a little higher, but no where near what you are saying.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have an eBay store and ship quite a lot of products via FedEx. I want to switch over to UPS for many reasons. I heard that they were roughly the same price, so I tried to ship a $15 toaster with UPS and they were charging me $28!! (Box 8x8x12 2lb 8oz) FedEx only charged me $8. I know that theres discounts available, but i dont think it would be enough to beat $8. Is there a reason the charge is so high? I really want to switch over to UPS, I'm fed up with using FedEx.
Thanks

Try again.

FedEx listed rate for a 3lb box going from NY to CA is $15.64

UPS for the same is listed as $18.17

There is a difference in price, but not what you claim.

box_beeyotch

It really is true, and I bet most of the CC people here would back me up. I know some stores 20 miles away that charge double what the CC charges.

The two we have local to me are owned by a local military family. They dont charge high shipping rates because they use the store to make their money through printing signs and banners. Depends on the owner.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Thanks

Have you actually tried calling 1800-pick-ups to ask them why the rates are so high? That would be your first step...

barnyard

KTM rider
UPS stores charge retail rates. If you want to see what it really costs, you have to open an account and ship through that. Substantial discount when shipping through your own account.