Why is UPS charging me so much?

We are hosing you! Ha ha!

A toster is a throw away item. Why even bother?
wbk_2.jpg

I have an eBay store and ship quite a lot of products via FedEx. I want to switch over to UPS for many reasons. I heard that they were roughly the same price, so I tried to ship a $15 toaster with UPS and they were charging me $28!! (Box 8x8x12 2lb 8oz) FedEx only charged me $8. I know that theres discounts available, but i dont think it would be enough to beat $8. Is there a reason the charge is so high? I really want to switch over to UPS, I'm fed up with using FedEx.
Thanks
Because my game my and I like to eat also.

I was told that UPS stores can only charge standard rates now. UPS was getting too many complaints about outrageous shipping charges.
They make their money now by raping the customer on shipping boxes, packing, tape, and the other services they offer.

The Milkman

It really is true, and I bet most of the CC people here would back me up. I know some stores 20 miles away that charge double what the CC charges.

Worked a CC for 8 years and I heard the complaints. They charge a lot more for shipping, add in a box, then they pack it for you....You pay through the nose. My wife's son sent her a gift some time back, the piece inside was chipped and broken..Picture this..a 12x12x12 box with a softball sized gift as an example. There was literally no cushioning inside the box..And he paid about triple the cost vs a CC. I told him don't use them stores. And forget about getting a refund from them, that is even worse. I got off the road in 2000 and was at a CC till 2008. UPS kept changing counter hours, then cutting them as I believe to this day to push people to the stores and thus trying to eliminate friend/T Counter Clerk jobs. We had one of the lowest claim counters in the district because we packed things the right way, and double boxing when needed on high insured items. People were willing to pay a few dollars more for a box when I explained that their scott tissue box would never make it one piece to their destination.

bluehdmc

I had something ship out to me this week that weighs less than a pound. UPS ground would have cost $36 (tell me the store wasn't making a profit on that shipping). Standard $6 shipping went out DHL Smart Mail. Go figure.

DHL Smart Mail is HORRIBLE!!!! I've ordered stuff on ebay and amazon that have gone out DHL Smart Mail, it takes a week to send what would take the post office 2-3 days. I just seems to sit places. I ordered a used book on Amazon, that turned out to be going from Long Island to NJ. Took a week. I leave feedback that they used "slow boat to China" shipping.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
DHL Smart Mail is HORRIBLE!!!! I've ordered stuff on ebay and amazon that have gone out DHL Smart Mail, it takes a week to send what would take the post office 2-3 days. I just seems to sit places. I ordered a used book on Amazon, that turned out to be going from Long Island to NJ. Took a week. I leave feedback that they used "slow boat to China" shipping.
Watching the tracking has been painful.
smartmailsucks_zpsijb4erqd.png

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
A 5 pound box from NY to CA is quoted as $18.15 on the UPS website.

That $28 quote is ridiculous.

FedEx website says $15.64 for the same delivery.

Our list price is a little higher, but no where near what you are saying.
Whoah! Slow it down. Since when are actual facts and information acceptable answers?