Why the 8 hour dispatch?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
We’ve already been asked at PCM to “think about” working the Saturday after thanksgiving. You might be right. Coming in on Saturday isn’t as bad when you have been getting off at 5 everyday
My answer will be (for the 24th year in a row), “I won’t be available Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday!”

Dr.Brownz

8hr dispatch? I say bring it on! Better load quality, more time to make vital alliances with customers, less being out there after dark and less exposure to unsafe situations.

I'm not at all convinced this is the "new normal" at least in the places that are supposedly seeing these 8.2's. It could simply be an experiment where the company is looking for any data to support a link to reduced accidents and/or injuries, or it could even be nothing more than a ploy in an attempt to pacify a significant portion of the rank and file that have the knives out for Hoffa, Taylor and the board room in the aftermath of having an unsatisfactory contract forced on them.

Does anybody much less everybody really think the lions share of drivers are going to be punching out before 9.5 from Thanksgiving thru New Year's? The company couldn't even get the air stops to many of us before 4pm half the days during last peak season and that was with little to no snow on the ground. For those that are experiencing this wherever you may be, except for these guys stuck in Silicon Valley where they really ned that OT, enjoy this why it's here because there's absolutely no guarantees it lasts.

Last December I only worked over 9 hours 2 times. Most days I was off before 8 hours. I have a regular extended route too.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
The damn computers they have,I only look at it to see what add cut I have off of other drivers because they never have my EDD released until the last minute.
Ohhhh, those! Never used them. Don’t care to. Let everyday be a lucrative surprise

JL 0513

The damn computers they have,I only look at it to see what add cut I have off of other drivers because they never have my EDD released until the last minute.

Yeah, most of the time EDD isn't released until half of us have pulled out of the building and waiting outside for it to be released. Stupid waste of time.

So I look at the screen to see if making air is possible in case I need to ask for air help. Also nice to see the stop and piece count.

Undertow

Last December I only worked over 9 hours 2 times. Most days I was off before 8 hours. I have a regular extended route too.
If you can get that, then more power to you but that clearly was not the norm for most every other driver in most every other building in December of 2017 when an abundant amount of full time hourlies were being subjected to 70 hour workweeks and didn't see two consecutive days off on a Saturday and Sunday for the better part if not the entire month. And it could easily be a repeat of that scenario again and perhaps worse if the possibility of being hamstrung with the inferior ORION program becomes the reality. That's only one way out of many things could become much worse.

Many of us here have been working at this job several decades or more and we've all seen and heard the assurances, vague promises, targeted goals, and suggested benchmarks come and go like flavors of the month. This time it hasn't even been lasted even an entire month and yet there's guys here assuming this is somehow a sure lock to remain because they were told by management in a meeting that this is currently a priority? As if management has a long established track record of transparency with regard to motives or never abruptly changing priorities?

Time will tell but past experience and the law of averages applied to management executing on stated plans suggest that forced overtime will be telling many off not most of us far more in less than a month. "Because management said this is how things will unfold" isn't going to convince me in any way that this experiment in certain areas and not others is going to take hold and become the established practice everywhere. And they certainly wouldn't be doing it long term solely out of any genuine concern for the health and welfare of the hourlies. They would do it only if it somehow benefited short and/or long term interests pertaining to the bottom line - and that goalpost is really ever firmly entrenched deeply in the ground.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Why is UPS implementing a 8 hour dispatch now? So that we will be begging for hours during peak when they need them. They are employing psychology. Get a clue.
My guess is they know they will need a ton of RPCD'S at first to implement 6 or 7 day a week service. Then when all the 22.4s Tuesday through Saturday and Wednesday through Sunday are up and running it will be slaughter time. Senior RPCD'S at 40 hours and newbie at 32 hours due to when work available clause. Then slaughter again due to the technology clause that is how then intend to force production. Listen i dont care who or what anyone says you are NOT going to preform the 340 methods perfect according to there computer every time every stop. They now have a way to use the methods against us and its in the contract that was just forced upon us. Time will be the convenient way of this sad story being told. My guess is ups wont hit it hard for about 36 months which is probably as long as it will take to get feeder then 22.4s up and running.
All this is my own opinion based upon the actual contract language and the conversations ive had at church and in public with the lawyers i know.

Indecisi0n

It's getting real bad here. I had to give my center manager a handjob for 2 hours of overtime . I wonder what I have to do for four hours .