Why the 8 hour dispatch?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's just more than savosa drivers overtime. The packages get back to the hub in a timely manner and they don't have guys staying around longer than their regular shift to unload last minute package cars . Also you don't have feeders sitting around waiting .

I'm sure they will experiment with it for awhile until they find the right balance.

Don't worry yourself...we'll still sit and wait.

DOK

Because someone finally figured out they can make a little more money running more routes and paying less over time and having less service failures and 9.5 grievances

Valid point.

Might be a valid point but I don’t think the math supports the point. If you have 100 stops to deliver is it more cost effective for one guy to do it or 2. More trucks, insurance, pension liability, health liability, unemployment insurance, workman’s comp liability etc etc, rises exponentially with each additional employee, perplexing what’s going on. Much more cost effective for the company to pay someone an hour and a half OT.

The bottom is going to fall out of this economy some day, then ups will have idle trucks and workers, I don’t know just seems strange.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Might be a valid point but I don’t think the math supports the point. If you have 100 stops to deliver is it more cost effective for one guy to do it or 2. More trucks, insurance, pension liability, health liability, unemployment insurance, workman’s comp liability etc etc, rises exponentially with each additional employee, perplexing what’s going on. Much more cost effective for the company to pay someone an hour and a half OT.

The bottom is going to fall out of this economy some day, then ups will have idle trucks and workers, I don’t know just seems strange.

Law of diminishing returns. It's more like if you have 2 drivers doing 200 stops a piece it is more cost effective to have 3 drivers do 133 a piece.

Heavy Package

Why is UPS implementing a 8 hour dispatch now? So that we will be begging for hours during peak when they need them. They are employing psychology. Get a clue.

Which one is it? Do drivers at UPS want (need) the OT or not?

At my hub I would say 25% NEED the OT and this new dispatch has them like a deer in the headlights. They are now making $600/wk less than they were just a month ago. That's a $30k swing in income over 12 months. Drivers as little as 5 minutes over are being sent to the office and being talked to and set up for progressive discipline.

Two points:

1. People need to budget based on 40-hrs a week. They are living beyond their means and have gotten so that 50+ hrs a week of pay is expected.

2. UPS did pull the rug out from all of us. No warning for both the good and bad - I could have helped coach my kids basketball team. At the same time, imagine if your boss just one day came up and said I am cutting your pay by $30k / yr. I am sure you would have liked some notice so you can make adjustments.

vvv

Which one is it? Do drivers at UPS want (need) the OT or not?

At my hub I would say 25% NEED the OT and this new dispatch has them like a deer in the headlights. They are now making $600/wk less than they were just a month ago. That's a $30k swing in income over 12 months. Drivers as little as 5 minutes over are being sent to the office and being talked to and set up for progressive discipline.

Two points:

1. People need to budget based on 40-hrs a week. They are living beyond their means and have gotten so that 50+ hrs a week of pay is expected.

2. UPS did pull the rug out from all of us. No warning for both the good and bad - I could have helped coach my kids basketball team. At the same time, imagine if your boss just one day came up and said I am cutting your pay by $30k / yr. I am sure you would have liked some notice so you can make adjustments.

Damn brother...5 minutes? That's hard to believe. If so they are playing you for a bunch of scared nervous fools. My daily overage is that 5 minutes and add another 2 hours easily on top of it.

Heck, the fill in drivers who cut every corner on my route don't even keep it under an hour over.

You boys best toughen up and stick together and start dropping the hammer or you are all in for some rough sailing ahead.

DOK

Law of diminishing returns. It's more like if you have 2 drivers doing 200 stops a piece it is more cost effective to have 3 drivers do 133 a piece.

I’m more worried about protection when this economy slows down. Ups always ran lean and when slow downs hit everyone still had work. If we get fat with people and trucks and then there’s a crash, not sure how that would end up.

JL 0513

I’m more worried about protection when this economy slows down. Ups always ran lean and when slow downs hit everyone still had work. If we get fat with people and trucks and then there’s a crash, not sure how that would end up.

It's going to be bad for all the new drivers. UPS is over compensating in the midst of the strongest economy in history. There WILL be a recession, just a question of when.

Even under a normal M-friend operation running the lean. model they have for many years, they still have to cut routes Mondays. Now you throw Saturday ground in and over hire you're looking at mass layoffs in the future.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
insubordination/ failure to follow instructions most likely
56211636-8B0C-496E-9FE2-D86BFBCC930D.gif
A6A3AC36-EAC4-4514-8E45-52B7F0DBA777.gif
A331A0A9-8D0E-435C-9D87-99B32BEA05EA.gif