Why the 8 hour dispatch?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Ran helper teams today. My buddy had 180 stops and a helper, catch is that he’s a resi route and that would be barely an 8.5 day for just him.

Good....bad....or unsuccessful this 9.5 is for real.
They are trying and so far so good. I got home at 6 pm. I am skeptical , this is cutting into dividends. I like it. Look at the last 5 years of peak they sucked the big one.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It’s a scare tactic they us with us here that if you can’t get in under 9.5 they will start you later.
Prior to this contract start time windows were pretty specific. If we had a start time that was too late they had to pay us from our normal start time regardless.

For routes dispatched with later starts you were paid a differential on top of your normal rate.

Now it appears that UPS has the flexibility to allow it to basically do what ever they feel is necessary to fulfill its business obligations.

This is both good and bad, only time will tell if there’s any benefit either us or the company as a whole.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
So where would they start with me, what would their approach be when I run 2+ over a day on average?
That I have to literally sprint up and down the street and drive with reckless abandon?
Maybe drive over peoples lawns and just toss the package from the cab stairs onto the porch....

Time to all grow a set and tell your crew in a nice way that that's the best you can do and are willing to do, and to get :censored2: if they don't like it.
If you don’t have an accident, they can literally average 40 stops a day per driver and still make money.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
You know what I really like about the lighter dispatches/more routes? It's putting pressure on the sups to be more thorough with their dispatching. Rather than just "yeah we can throw Billy on that 10 hour planned day cold, he'll be fine;" they are actually using serious consideration with every route. He knows this, he doesn't know that, too heavy to put someone out cold on that. As someone who has gone out cold dozens of times with unreasonable expectations, it's nice to know that I'm not going to walk in and get absolutely screwed. I really don't mind going out cold, I enjoy learning new areas. But there are times when it's like a mission impossible and you're stressed all day about missing service. And you know it's purely a result of poor planning, and that if you screw up and miss service it's ALL on you.
If you're going to learn a new route, and you actually want to retain what you did throughout the day, it sure is nice to do it on an 8 hour day with no businesses that you don't recognize on the 7000 shelf. Common sense.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
d99454ecd37d214296091b98de896aef.gif
What's the reasoning for that?

Really would have liked to see some language covering start times this contract.
Lets face it (sold out) language sucks, too many tongue twisters for example no guarantee 8 hour day depending on volume. Big Word is CONTROL ,But this push took a lot of people and we will see if it pays off.