Why? whats wrong here?

ManInBrown

Your not entitle to take unpaid days off just because you want to unless you out of days. Some buildings might allow it to happen but there is no language in the contract that says you can request a day off without pay.
It's done here with no problem. We jut tell them to not use a day. RLO with no pay

nocturnalbuck

I can understand this method , IF EVERYONE had single days. We are automatically denied single day if we request within 8 days prior. i dont feel we should be forced to use them for a 24hr notice request off. The request off isnt officially granted until start time of that day! Again, i was basically just volunteering to go to the bottom of the list for the day!

UPSGUY72

It's done here with no problem. We jut tell them to not use a day. RLO with no pay

I didn't say it wasn't done. I said your not entitled (there is not contractual language that says you can take days off unpaid when ever you feel like it ) to tell them you want a day off and not get paid when you have days left.

UPSGUY72

You should stick to answering the phone. In the Atlantic Area if there are extra drivers then unpaid days off have to be offered in seniority order and no, the company can't force you to use personal or vacation days.

Read the original post the OP asked for a day off unpaid he wasn't offered it. Two totally different things. They didn't ask him to take the day or put a list up and ask people to sign it if they wanted the day off...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Read the original post the OP asked for a day off unpaid he wasn't offered it. Two totally different things. They didn't ask him to take the day or put a list up and ask people to sign it if they wanted the day off...
I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to you:
Your not entitle to take unpaid days off just because you want to unless you out of days. Some buildings might allow it to happen but there is no language in the contract that says you can request a day off without pay.
Remember you weren't told you couldn't have the day off. You were told you couldn't have the day off unpaid as you still have days available to use. There is nothing you can do you don't have a case the union wants you to work as UPS pays into union run benefits based on days you work and get paid for not for dead days.

UPSGUY72

I never said the op was offered the day... I said if the op asked for a day off UPS doesn't have to give it to him upaid. Asking and offered are different...

clean hairy

Southern Supplement Art 64 reads the same. This doesn't matter if you report or not, management calling you and asking you if you want the day off or coming in and there's extra bodies.

ARTICLE 64 -TIME OFF UNPAID

When time off is available it shall be offered in seniority order by classification as long as it does not result in economic cost to the Employer.
I am in the same supplement as you, it also says extra work will be offered in seniority order or something to that effect.