Why would you leave your route for a new one?

oldngray

nowhere special
Try a route. If you don't like it go back to the old one.

Some guys hate all residential routes. I'm one the other side, less pick-ups, less stress.
Allowances have changed. It used to be better to have a lot of pickups but not any more.

UPSER1987

We had one guy stay on a killer industrial park route for years because he was afraid to learn something different. Don't be that guy!

This. We have two routes in the center that you are considering. Will do those routes all day everyday. Easiest money you can make. Less in and out the car, no residential, in by air. Take it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Allowances have changed. It used to be better to have a lot of pickups but not any more.
I don't worry about breaking off or making room. Most of my pick-ups are on route and smart pu's. So much easier.

I did plenty of commercial routes. No thanks, lol.

old levi's

blank space
During the 10 years that I was a swing driver they would sometimes throw together a trash route.
Always liked those, no pickups, usually no air, just go out and deliver.

Signed a bid for a new route due to the fact I have been on the same route for 7 years and getting bored and tired of the same old routine. So my question is what are some good reasons to leave your current route for a new one. I know many of you are going to say because it's easier or more driving. Just want some insight before I pull the trigger, I have only been on one route my entire driving career so any suggestions help.

Signed a bid for a new route due to the fact I have been on the same route for 7 years and getting bored and tired of the same old routine. So my question is what are some good reasons to leave your current route for a new one. I know many of you are going to say because it's easier or more driving. Just want some insight before I pull the trigger, I have only been on one route my entire driving career so any suggestions help.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

That ole dirty leg you’ve been banging’s
husband finds out

Time to bid something on the other side of town

rod

Retired 22 years
We had one guy stay on a killer industrial park route for years because he was afraid to learn something different. Don't be that guy!
Sounds like our “downtown “ guy. It was the only route he ran in his 30 years. Worst route in the center. Always heavy, a bricked out high step P1000 everyday, no miles and worse of all any time any management had to check on someone to get a check mark in the “have you harassed someone today” column - he got picked because they could find him in 10 minutes.

john chesney

Go for the route with the hottest chicks on it

MC0493

Think that one through if you have to swap trucks. I cover a route that has deliveries loaded in two trucks a day and it takes atleast 2 trucks to cover the pickups. Having a 24 footer around makes it much easier but more often than not one is red tagged and i end up using package cars and having a real bad time. Fun fact, the vehicle limit in the DIAD is only 4.

Sounds like our “downtown “ guy. It was the only route he ran in his 30 years. Worst route in the center. Always heavy, a bricked out high step P1000 everyday, no miles and worse of all any time any management had to check on someone to get a check mark in the “have you harassed someone today” column - he got picked because they could find him in 10 minutes.
Sounds like you never manned up at this job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Workloads have changed over the years with technology, pretty much they are all the same. Nowadays it’s more nit-picky stuff like residential vs business. Or a route with lots of pickups vs none. I’ve been on both sides, you get used to eventually.

J

jibbs

I've been loading for two of the shop stewards for a couple years now.

One bid the other off his route for one of several reasons (it's different depending on who he's talking to.) When he's talking to other drivers, he's just been on the route for several years and is tired of the monotony of the day to day-- he wants a change. When he's talking to the driver he bumped, he always jokes around about how he thought he was doing a favor by getting him off the route he always complains about. When he told me he was jumping from one route to another, he said it was because he was tired of the other guy in the same county as him :censored2:ing his day up all the time. He also thinks that once the 200+piece post office stop comes off first thing in the day, the rest of the day'll be cake.

There's no telling what's true, but all seem valid reasons.

I had the downtown route for a couple of years until I got smart enough to bid an easier route. When are you going to get smarter?
I bid every route, but I’ve only done a couple dozen routes worthy of a regular 4 day a week routine.