Why would you leave your route for a new one?

ManInBrown

Where I was in package, routes are permanent. They’re not rebid yearly. Had I stayed, I would have never left the route I had. It was cushy. Very rich town. Very far walks from the street to the front door. Minimal dogs. Lots of exercise. Walked on average 11-13 miles a day. Never pulled in anyone’s driveway. Walked everything off. It’s amazing what doing the right thing, will do to your stop count. That’s what these new runner gunners don’t understand. Following the methods keeps your stop count down.

The worst routes are the ones with a sheetload of pickups in my opinion. It’s always something. This one is leaving early, can you come early tomorrow? This one has 200 going out tomorrow instead of 20. My package route had 5 pickups, that all could be done at anytime after 6pm. Everything left outside. Could go at 8:30 if I wanted.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Thanks for the info, as of right now I am 2nd on the bid. The only reason this route seems more appealing than my route is the fact that the stop count is 60 to 150 on my current route. Plus doing bussiness stops doesn't bother me much.

Total package

We can rebuild him
Signed a bid for a new route due to the fact I have been on the same route for 7 years and getting bored and tired of the same old routine. So my question is what are some good reasons to leave your current route for a new one. I know many of you are going to say because it's easier or more driving. Just want some insight before I pull the trigger, I have only been on one route my entire driving career so any suggestions help.

Total package

We can rebuild him
Most of the guys in our center try to get a route they can take their lunch at home on. That and getting one that doesn’t mean handling a ton of pieces or using a handcart much are good reasons to me

hegro

I will hit my 2 year mark soon. Will probably stay on my route for another year or two then switch to a route that is in Mon-Fri. My current route is only in Tues-Fri. I an still Tues-Sat so no big deal but will be switching in the coming months. Need to find something with more businesses. My current route is usually 90% resis.

rod

Retired 22 years
Beware of the double trip. My route doubles sometimes and it can be annoying to go back to the building and see all your doosh bag management team an extra time every day.
You mean they don't go home or to the golf coarse after the guys leave in the morning? Ours always did.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My first route was an industrial park where I delivered and picked up a thousand packages out of a '24 straight truck. Four routes later, I do a subdivision route with 200 pieces a day with no pickups. Always go for less work

Overpaid Union Thug

I bid on my current route for no reason other than I wanted to bump the former occupant off of it. He is one of those people that goes straight to dispatch, or an On-Car, every morning to get stops moved off his route on to others. Sometimes permanently. A real bitchass cry baby too. But after having the route for three years I figured it would be sweet after all of the tweaks he had made to it.:laughing2: