Why?

Moneythehardway

We get the same raises as you. And now there is better driving opportunity for PTers. You have an amazing PT job. Probably one of the best in terms of compensation. You can work at other places in addition to UPS. I cannot as I'm a driver and have no time. Some of my PT friends also do landscaping or are waiters. They kill it in the cash department in addition to getting awesome health.

My advice:
1) See things as they are, not worse.
2) See it better than it is.
3) Make it better than how you see it.

Yes working at UPS ptime with its benefit package is above standard, and I am grateful for it all, including wage progressions and such, Also realize it is one of the most physically taxing jobs that get done in a 3.5 hour time frame so what we get would be DESERVED not just a given.

Secondly, yes our compensation as a whole package (healthcare, pension etc..) is greater than competitors BUT you have to look at it as an inside family issue, not looking around you. UPS profits BILLIONS or near billions every quarter of every year, this is an in-house issue, forget about the outside companies for a sec. We just want our fair share of the pie is all. If it comes down to it like someone mentioned before, allow ptimers to elect each year in janurary whether they want the health benefits or the extra 3-$4 an hour in wages for that year. Because yes its all fine and nice to have the bene's but to a lot of us young ptimers, it's like having a shiny new toy at home that you never use...Has no value to us until we use it and many of us don't use it until years down the line. Don't get me wrong, i'm fortunate for it and grateful as well but at the end of the day, i think an extra $1 bump or somewhere around that won't hurt UPS to give us ptimers as a thank you for helping in the success of RECORD-breaking (yes record breaking meaning these numbers have NEVER been reached before in a certain period by UPS until now) profits. Not taking away from us.

UPS Preloader

google supply and demand. it will have your answer.

no trying to be rude, sarcastic, or facetious. just trying to point out that your job requires NO skill and that 90% of the population can do it and are willing to do it for slave wages.

Same here... not trying to be rude, sarcastic, or facetious. just trying to point out that driving a truck and delivering packages requires VERY LITTLE skill and that 90% of the population can do it and would most likely be willing to do it for slave wages. (I apologize to most of you full time drivers as I do have respect for what you do.)

UPS Preloader

An amazing PT job? Hahaha are you serious? In my building 1 out of 10 hires actually stays and doesnt quit, they all say all this work for $9 an hour and 20 hours a week. Thats on top of waking up at 230 in the am. What a joke!

Rudy, both you and Stink have valid points. Yes, the works sucks and so do the hours but it is something we chose to do. If it wasn't worth it neither you or I would have done it nor would we have stayed. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it's amazing, but where else are you going to get health insurance for 20 hours of work a week and still get a paycheck all be it a small paycheck? Don't get me wrong, I still believe the starting pay is an insult and I will be voting no, but once you've been with the company for 5+ years and your pension is vested, it's not a bad gig. You just need to learn to deal with all the BS. Unfortunately for guys like you and I (Vote and pay dues.) we get penalized by all the PT's that don't vote and don't pay dues.

Drink Craft Beer

An amazing PT job? Hahaha are you serious? In my building 1 out of 10 hires actually stays and doesnt quit, they all say all this work for $9 an hour and 20 hours a week. Thats on top of waking up at 230 in the am. What a joke!
20hrs, if you're lucky. What's so amazing or appealing to guys 18-24yrs of age to wake up and call an hour before start time and see if you're needed? Then told to call back in 20mins for your answer? How amazing is it that you can't plan anything when not knowing if you have to go to work the next morning?

Plus add in ata times that it's 10 degrees out, you're in back of a un-heated trailer unloading packages while freezing your ass off...all for less than 10 bucks an hour and MAYBE 2 days a week?

Then when there is nobody to cover due to call-offs or vacations it makes it much more convenient for the Supervisors to do Union work...at times,3 days out of the week. "We have no choice"

Wonder sometimes how long some of these drivers worked on the pre-load to say how "amazing it is"

UPSGUY72

Why is it every contract us part timers get the short end of it? What have we done so wrong for us to pretty much get overlooked in getting our fair share of the pie? Yeah we get some things so i'm covering that end of the argument, but its crumbs in relation to how much the company is bringing in and what the drivers and others get within this company, it's not crumbs altogether because we get healthcare and such but IN RELATION to what is being cut out of the huge UPS profit pie, we get the crust of it but why?

I'm all for all of us prospering within this company, but let's be serious, at the end of this proposed contract, drivers will top out at around $37! And you mean to tell me some of that money couldn't have been allocated to giving part timers at least a decent one time 'catch-up' raise ($1.50 along with the new hires) to go with our new progression of .70 cents? The sad thing is, it shouldn't even come down to having to vote down the TA, it should have already been covered IN the TA to begin with. 4 year driving progression, split driver helper pay (below our normal insider pay rate), essentially a pay CUT with the new proposed added healthcare deductibles and co-pays, the new healthcare alone can eat up a ptimers check if we use it.

Sorry so long, and this whole post may be mute, but just wanna ask Why do us ptimers get treated like the red headed stepchildren of this company?

It's simple it's a Part time job it isn't met for people to live off. Those job are called FT jobs. Most people that work PT at UPS and have be around for a long time are here for the benefits. There isn't another PT job out there that gives you the same benny's that they give FTimers. (healthcare, pension, vacation, sick days, ETC )

When I worked PT I also had another FT job that was 4 10hrs days.

Drink Craft Beer

Rudy, both you and Stink have valid points. Yes, the works sucks and so do the hours but it is something we chose to do. If it wasn't worth it neither you or I would have done it nor would we have stayed. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it's amazing, but where else are you going to get health insurance for 20 hours of work a week and still get a paycheck all be it a small paycheck? Don't get me wrong, I still believe the starting pay is an insult and I will be voting no, but once you've been with the company for 5+ years and your pension is vested, it's not a bad gig. You just need to learn to deal with all the BS. Unfortunately for guys like you and I (Vote and pay dues.) we get penalized by all the PT's that don't vote and don't pay dues.
That depends on how long you had to call in each morning.

If one is lucky and hits at the right time when a PT'er is promoted or a couple PT'ers move to a different state, county etc... whatever reasons and you don't have to call in anymore, then yes it's worth it cause you can plan a daily schedule around it.

UPS Preloader

That depends on how long you had to call in each morning.

If one is lucky and hits at the right time when a PT'er is promoted or a couple PT'ers move to a different state, county etc... whatever reasons and you don't have to call in anymore, then yes it's worth it cause you can plan a daily schedule around it.

I never called in, nor did I answer the 3AM phone calls. I told management right away that I'm not on call. They are not paying me to wake up and call them so I am not doing it. If you want or need me to work you need to let me know the day before. This allowed me to plan a schedule around it and not let a PT job with UPS rule my life.

Moneythehardway

It's simple it's a Part time job it isn't met for people to live off. Those job are called FT jobs. Most people that work PT at UPS and have be around for a long time are here for the benefits. There isn't another PT job out there that gives you the same benny's that they give FTimers. (healthcare, pension, vacation, sick days, ETC )

When I worked PT I also had another FT job that was 4 10hrs days.

Not meant to live off of, of course not, it's 3.5 hours a work daily or 17 hours a week. But do you think if the pioneers of our union who has us set up with good bene's decades ago now would have had that same mindset of 'it's not meant to live off of" we would have these things? Point I'm making is we ought to keep our standards high as long as we're helping the company prosper, I see NO problem with UPS cutting enough out of the pie to keep all groups happy (Drivers are the most complete and satisfied group and rightfully so), retirees, ptimers with our small demands of a nice bump in pay. Don't think we're asking for too much

Drink Craft Beer

It may be how it works at your Hub, but definitely doesn't work that way at mine. If you don't call in for say...3-4 days straight, they see it as that person doesn't want to work and they move on to the next.

Surprised they didn't laugh at your "demands" and say...."don't let the door hit ya in the ass."

Johney

Did you and all the p/ter's in your building go to the meetings and voice your opinion's as to what you all wanted to see in this contract?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Disclaimer: I am a pter. Now...UPS is a publicly traded company. They have stupidly (IMO) allowed 10% of the overall equity of the company dictate and determine what kind of company they are. It's what happened when they went public. UPS's image and reputation lives and dies by it's stock performance. In order for them to be "successful" they have to profit hugely. Now...we live in this stock controlled world and need to accept it as it is until people decide to change it up. No one has, no one will till it fails on it's own. Knowing this...why would you expect a company that needs to win the big cock contest that is the stock market cater to a PT position employee? Insurance has out paced inflation by a large margin. It's going to continue to outpace inflation because now the greedy bastards are using the ACA as a smoke screen to increase profits in their ponzi scheme. The ACA hasn't been fully implemented yet. They are raising their rates now and blaming something that isn't fully implemented yet. Gotta tell ya...if it looks like bullchit and smells like bullchit...chances are...it's bullchit. We don't vote, we don't attend, we aren't well informed, and we only work there 17-27 hours a week.

Why is it every contract us part timers get the short end of it? What have we done so wrong for us to pretty much get overlooked in getting our fair share of the pie? Yeah we get some things so i'm covering that end of the argument, but its crumbs in relation to how much the company is bringing in and what the drivers and others get within this company, it's not crumbs altogether because we get healthcare and such but IN RELATION to what is being cut out of the huge UPS profit pie, we get the crust of it but why?

I'm all for all of us prospering within this company, but let's be serious, at the end of this proposed contract, drivers will top out at around $37! And you mean to tell me some of that money couldn't have been allocated to giving part timers at least a decent one time 'catch-up' raise ($1.50 along with the new hires) to go with our new progression of .70 cents? The sad thing is, it shouldn't even come down to having to vote down the TA, it should have already been covered IN the TA to begin with. 4 year driving progression, split driver helper pay (below our normal insider pay rate), essentially a pay CUT with the new proposed added healthcare deductibles and co-pays, the new healthcare alone can eat up a ptimers check if we use it.

Sorry so long, and this whole post may be mute, but just wanna ask Why do us ptimers get treated like the red headed stepchildren of this company?
Because that's how it is. Sorry

RealPerson

Because its a part time job. A lot of part timers try and make it something it just isn't. Go full time or except what it is a part time job.

You sure help the fellow Union people so much.. So GLAD you are NOT my Steward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many people are in the Union? 140,000 - $150,000 are being thrown into Central States, and MANY other issues that affect your other brothers and sisters, and you just tell people to suck it up. I bet you are one of the people on the Unions payroll down at your local.....

ups clerk

Bc most can't afford to join your great union.. how much was minimum wage in your state in let's say 1985? Google it, I rest my case. Healthcare means nothing to a bunch of twenty years olds. You guys offer nothing. Part timers come and go, no one stays long enough to vote.

Exactly. And new hires...20 year olds still live at home and are under their parents' insurance. Believe me if there was a signing bonus to this contract they would vote, then take their money and leave. So yes, they have no stock in this company. This might be good if they don't vote because the part timers who will vote are the 10-30 year part timers who will vote NO on this contract because of the health concerns in the contract.

wgf46

Special times for Full Timers to meet with Union Rep in my building, no time set aside for PT in my building. Participation Breeds Commitment, Commitment Breeds Success. UNION please provide the opportunity for PT Participation ???!!!