Will Hoffa and Hall get the message?

anonymous4

You expect a public monster that is profitable to downsize 100% and risk losing everything over the hope they can get themselves back to speed before our competitors swallow our entire clientele? I'm sorry, there might be a time in the future when this is the best option but that time is not now and not in the foreseeable future.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You expect a public company that is profitable to downsize 100% and risk losing everything over the hope they can get themselves back to speed before our competitors swallow our entire clientele?

If the Teamsters strike (which is what, as I wrote, my assumption was based on), you think companies like Amazon are going to stick with UPS? Once the strike concluded, you think they're coming back?

So yes, I believe that if the Teamsters strike, UPS would be heavily damaged and take leverage from it.

anonymous4

UPS would not allow the teamsters to strike, that's the point. There is far too much at stake for them. For all the crying that goes on about Fedex and UPS going public, these two factors work to our advantage. It is not going to happen. UPS has their poker face on and know that the teamsters will be the first to blink. A strike would be M.A.D. for both entities.

The future looks bright for UPS small package. Downsizing and "streamlining" serves what purpose for a public monster when you would give away everything to our competitor on a platter? So they can come back with a fedex-like model with 5% of the countries small package volume? Again, there could be a time when this is a winning bet for them, to think that time is 2013, is outrageous.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
UPS would not allow the teamsters to strike, that's the point. There is far too much at stake for them. For all the crying that goes on about Fedex and UPS going public, these two factors work to our advantage. It is not going to happen. UPS has their poker face on and know that the teamsters will be the first to blink. A strike would be M.A.D. for both entities.

I believe that if the Teamsters had asked for demands that UPS felt would make it uncompetitive in the future, that UPS would've allowed them to strike and sought replacements. UPS has the balance sheet + labor market as leverage.

Inthegame

What's the turnover rate here? How long would it take them to replace all of us and get back to speed? Really, what's your best guess? UPS package in the USA would be done. And the better question is - why would "they" allow that right now? Fedex would gobble everything up by the time you replaced this workforce.
If a strike/lockout occurs and the pilots refuse to cross our lines we're safe (for a while). If not, I'd expect UPS to shut down ground operations, run strictly the more profitable air, move every sup/manager available to run Louisville, Rockford and Philly, wait a week and watch all the wannbe tough Teamsters that're screaming for a strike to scab, then hire back at less wages with curtailed benny's. FedEx would be inundated with ground pkgs and fail, UPS would come back leaner and CHEAPER and regain the lost market. The rest of the brain surgeons that forced the strike could reapply at the max $25 hr pkg job. Pt's would get $10 hr, with no bennys. And TDU would blame the whole thing on yes voters and hall for the catastrophe that he clearly sees could happen.
WAKE UP FOLKS! This isn't even close to what happened in '97. The National Master has been accepted! Anyone not get that?

anonymous4

And you think this contract makes them uncompetitive? The contract is passed, this entire thing is a wrap and it's business as usual. There is a slight bump but they won the game. Teamsters are well paid still, and life is good. This kicking and screaming won't mean jack. Teamsters and UPS continue this ****ed up marriage until the next time. Rinse, repeat.

The healthcare issue wouldn't have made them uncompetitive either. They are a greed monster and need more, more, more. There was never going to be a strike, never going to be a lockout. IBT negotiated a poor contract. The real losers here will be our leadership as they will be shown the door in the next round of elections. Good riddance too. They started negotiations right as UPS showed record earnings. The line in the sand should have been drawn, the membership should have been unified and UPS wouldn't have been able to strong arm us like they did.

Again, over and over you and Stink won't face the real issue. There is 1 and only 1 stumbling block. If they leave health care just the way it was, this thing sails. Personally, I would like to see you get the same great health care plan I have, but you seem to be happy with the lesser plan ​you have.
Stink has better then him and us if we don't get what we want.

I am hoping that the members get the message as well. I voted "yes", but this is too close for comfort. If all gets ratified and we have 5 years, consider this a warning to start preparing for 2018. It seems that no matter what is offered, more and more people think that they are getting screwed. Try convincing anyone in America that at 36+ an hour, you are getting screwed. You can leave all the other benefits like pension, healthcare and vacation out of the talk. Based off of the 36 bucks alone, they will think your a nutjob for expecting and thinking you deserve more. I am taking these close numbers as a reason to get my "house in order". Pay alot more than my minimum on my mortgage, dont incur any new debt and put money aside each week for the next 5 years. For every 20.00 a week saved in this next 5 years, you will save 5,100.00 for strength at the next negotiation.
Are you smoking rock. We got $4 in five years in 08 and great healthcare. I was willing if need to give a freeze on my raises when the recession hit on the 08 contract, but no freeze. 20 billion later and they want us to take 10 cents less and less on healthcare when the economy is in a up swing. Wake up. This is crazy. We are not asking or a lot guys. Crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy.

Inthegame

And you think this contract makes them uncompetitive?...

They started negotiations right as UPS showed record earnings. The line in the sand should have been drawn, the membership should have been unified and UPS wouldn't have been able to strong arm us like they did.

Nope this contract allows them to REMAIN competitive. No one "strong armed" anyone. 53% of voting members voluntarily voted yes. UPS has showed record earnings for many years in their history. But you bring up a point few remember. Ken (the devil) Hall started negotiations on the current agreement early, in the summer of 2007. That contract was set to expire end of July 2008. Had Hall waited and gone through this process in 2008 and supplements and riders were rejected how good of a deal do you think we'd gotten then while John McCain was suspending his preidential campaign to work on the economy? Thank God Hall had the sense or good fortune to open early and sign a deal before the s%^t hit the fan in 2008. And now he's a sell out bum. You guys don't deserve his efforts.

RealPerson

Nope this contract allows them to REMAIN competitive. No one "strong armed" anyone. 53% of voting members voluntarily voted yes. UPS has showed record earnings for many years in their history. But you bring up a point few remember. Ken (the devil) Hall started negotiations on the current agreement early, in the summer of 2007. That contract was set to expire end of July 2008. Had Hall waited and gone through this process in 2008 and supplements and riders were rejected how good of a deal do you think we'd gotten then while John McCain was suspending his preidential campaign to work on the economy? Thank God Hall had the sense or good fortune to open early and sign a deal before the s%^t hit the fan in 2008. And now he's a sell out bum. You guys don't deserve his efforts.

USPS is dropping like Flies. Shipping and online ordering are on the rise.

fedupups

53% of voting members voluntarily voted yes....Great point In The Game...the LOWEST amount percentage wise that a National Contract has passed...wont happen next time when these Hoffa and Hall clowns r voted out

Catatonic

Nine Lives
53% of voting members voluntarily voted yes....Great point In The Game...the LOWEST amount percentage wise that a National Contract has passed...wont happen next time when these Hoffa and Hall clowns r voted out

​Hoffa is retiring and Hall will be the next President if he wants it.

In the Game...u forgot to add the lowest percentage ever...just trying to help u out
The majority have spoken. What else do you need?? I think you are a sore looser. Get over it. I can't wait till all these par timers and driver who live far far beyond their means figure out they don't get their raise August 1st. Can't wait to here them bitch. Give it 4 or five months and they will be dying to vote yes.

fedupups

70 cents an hour wont buy my vote and I live in the most expensive part of the country...what else u got???...and Steward my property taxes r probably more than your mortgage...and still a NO vote...

BlackCat

The majority have spoken. What else do you need?? I think you are a sore looser. Get over it. I can't wait till all these par timers and driver who live far far beyond their means figure out they don't get their raise August 1st. Can't wait to here them bitch. Give it 4 or five months and they will be dying to vote yes.

​Keep my raise and give me back my insurance and we will call it a day.