Will there be a national strike at UPS?

Whither

Scofflaw
Union membership is waking up. They don’t like what’s going on either.
Screenshot_20221101_212446.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Union membership is waking up. They don’t like what’s going on either.
What is going on?

We keep hearing "strike talk", but what are the issues? More importantly, what are the top 3-5 issues of those most likely to vote? They will be deciding. This might upset part-time workers who have concerns, but they do not vote in numbers to matter.

Some issues are local matters. The forced 6th day for example or the day after Thanksgiving. Any local can stand firm and clear up those problems.

Whither

Scofflaw
What is going on?

We keep hearing "strike talk", but what are the issues? More importantly, what are the top 3-5 issues of those most likely to vote? They will be deciding. This might upset part-time workers who have concerns, but they do not vote in numbers to matter.

Some issues are local matters. The forced 6th day for example or the day after Thanksgiving. Any local can stand firm and clear up those problems.
If you don't know what the issues are, then either you work for a different company or you've "overlooked" an awful lot.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Supplemental provisions.... aren't going to be "overridden" at a Local level. Not on these issues.

nWo

What is going on?

MY UnIoN BroTHerS aNd SisTeRS DoNT MaTTer durrr.

We have a very important contract coming up . There is no room for SCAB talk.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
MY UnIoN BroTHerS aNd SisTeRS DoNT MaTTer durrr.

We have a very important contract coming up . There is no room for SCAB talk.
Everybody votes for what is best for them. Sorry part-time, that's how it is.

worldwide

Will there be a national strike at UPS?

I found this a thought-provoking article and would suggest y'all pay close attention to the IBT's involvement in the railroad dispute. There are 57k Teamsters involved, e.g., nearly half of all the rail workers affected.

It's time to do what we can to bolster rank and file organization and strength. We need to be prepared to hold O'Brien and Zuckerman accountable to their promises.
Biden could potentially create a Presidential Emergency Board to put in place a 60-day cooling off period as he did with the railroads. The President may exercise his discretion to create an emergency board when the labor dispute threatens “substantially to interrupt interstate commerce to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service.” PEB's are formed to address rail and air carriers and UPS Airlines is the 2nd largest cargo airline in the world and the 8th largest in the US in terms of fleet size. UPS also likes to boast that they move ~6% of the US GDP in their network so any potential interruption to the US economy would certainly get the administrations attention.

allahuakbar

She/Her
I haven’t heard one good reason to strike yet.

Part timers don’t vote. I’m not gonna sway my vote to help them either.

22.4’s know the job they applied to. They can die with the part timers.

Pullman Brown

You can only draw conclusions based on your current experience at your building! You then project that and assume that everybody is going through the same thing. It’s hard not do. Some have it a lot better, worse, or somewhere in between. This forum helps but doesn’t give the full experience of everybody. In my building alone the forced six punch fiasco is something that we want fixed or it’s a no vote! This has to be dealt with nationally because we can’t count on our supplements fixing it!

Last edited:

allahuakbar

She/Her
You can only draw conclusions based on your current experience at your building! You then project that and assume that everybody is going through the same thing. It’s hard not do. Some have it a lot better, worse, or somewhere in between. This forum helps but doesn’t give the full experience of everybody. In my building alone the forced six punch fiasco is something that we want fixed or it’s a no vote! This has to be dealt with nationally because we can count on our supplements fixing it!
I do think it’s hilarious there’s a line out the door to go home here while dudes are out there in other buildings rotting 60+ hours a week.