Will there be a national strike at UPS?

Whither

Scofflaw
Biden could potentially create a Presidential Emergency Board to put in place a 60-day cooling off period as he did with the railroads. The President may exercise his discretion to create an emergency board when the labor dispute threatens “substantially to interrupt interstate commerce to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service.” PEB's are formed to address rail and air carriers and UPS Airlines is the 2nd largest cargo airline in the world and the 8th largest in the US in terms of fleet size. UPS also likes to boast that they move ~6% of the US GDP in their network so any potential interruption to the US economy would certainly get the administrations attention.
I'm aware that Biden can intervene, just like Clinton could have in 97. But that doesn't deter me. If that were to happen, we have a collective choice: to obey or defy. That's why this brotherhood needs rank and file organization. As individuals we're powerless against federal intervention. As proud Teamsters standing together we would be a force to reckon with.

People have forgotten, our union officers not least, that the Teamsters have a proud tradition of defying injunctions to return to work. It's high time to revive it. Just look at the rail workers situation. Their unions are in bed w the enemy (the freight railroads and the gov't). If they can't get organized and muster the courage to act boldly, then they're going to lose.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Last time I head out of 340k UPS teamsters only 14k participated in the contract survey.

Pretty damn pathetic. These numbers better start climbing if we want UPS to take us seriously.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You can only draw conclusions based on your current experience at your building! You then project that and assume that everybody is going through the same thing. It’s hard not do. Some have it a lot better, worse, or somewhere in between. This forum helps but doesn’t give the full experience of everybody. In my building alone the forced six punch fiasco is something that we want fixed or it’s a no vote! This has to be dealt with nationally because we can’t count on our supplements fixing it!
Sounds like you need to elect new local leadership if they don't want to fix the problem.

Nah
I haven’t heard one good reason to strike yet.

Part timers don’t vote. I’m not gonna sway my vote to help them either.

22.4’s know the job they applied to. They can die with the part timers.
If I was an RPCD, the neverending 6th punches would be on my radar as a pretty good reason.

Pullman Brown

Sounds like you need to elect new local leadership if they don't want to fix the problem.

Why wouldn’t you want this dealt in the National? Follow the strong language of good supplementals out there! It has become more of a national issue than ever before!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why wouldn’t you want this dealt in the National? Follow the strong language of good supplementals out there! It has become more of a national issue than ever before!
My local worked it out a long time ago. It can be done. No need to strike over it in my local, it's already there.

nWo

Last time I head out of 340k UPS teamsters only 14k participated in the contract survey.

Pretty damn pathetic. These numbers better start climbing if we want UPS to take us seriously.

The 326,000 part timers are ruining it for us 14,000 Full-timers.