Will They Ever Get The Hint?

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Continued from a post already in progress...

I have plenty of problems with Mccain on the war on terrorism like the fact that he wants to tell our commanders how many troops they need to do their job. I would rather have him trying to give more than needed than some of the others trying to take away what is needed.
I thought McCain was saying what those commanders would be punished for saying.

For you to imply that we chose to go to war for no reason is at the very least uninformed.

I just base my opions on my experience and I was only trying to understand where some of you got yours from.
I'm not sure what I said that implied something about our choice to go to war. I thought toppling Saddam's government was reason enough to go to Iraq, once I believed that he was violating the terms of his "probation".

I get my opinions, at least in part, from listening to others and analyzing their statements. My opinions are subject to change as I discover new information. I try to treat information skeptically, even if it agrees with a view I already hold. If I try to look at every issue from opposing points of view, I usually find that there is no stance that is 100% correct.

I read print publications about 1-2 hours per day. Typically, I will read a couple of articles each from a dozen different newspapers each week, and an article or two from each from half-a-dozen magazines. (I work about one block from a library, and I get a long lunch. I subscribe to, um, zero newspapers.)

I like to find newspapers from outside the US, and see what they say about the US. (Everybody claims that the US does not pay attention to the rest of the world, but most of the newspapers in other countries do not write much about the US. So there.)

In the past week, I found LeMonde (France - English version) and Le Soleil (Senegal - English version) to see what the French are telling themselves about their recent elections. (Senegal? Until last week, I did not know they spoke French. I do not know why my local library carries this newspaper.)

Online, there's quite a mix of sites. (Hey, I did go to MSNBC.com last week. I read one article about the declining value of the Dollar. It did not mention drums.)

All it seems like you can do is [1] find a link that you think supports your side or [2]correct someones spelling to make you feel smarter or [3]go on a free speech rant or [4]quote an old Nazi to imply that our country is the same or [5]maybe blame the president since the guy you probably voted for lost.
  1. I prefer not to post links that do not support my side. Do you suggest no links, or an equal-time clause that requires everyone to post opposing pairs of links? (Affirmative Action for URLs is linkist!)
  2. I believe the word you are looking for is "pedantic".
  3. Do I rant? I'll try to be more emotionally detached in my writing. I do not mean to rant - that privilege is reserved for O'Reilly, Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Imus, O'Reilly and O'Reilly. Maybe I should take the Fifth Amendment about the First Amendment. (I don't know the names of many talk radio hosts, either.)
  4. I think I have quoted NeoNazis, too. Or maybe I posted links to their sites. I am glad you noticed that I imply many things - I really want to lead the reader to a particular conclusion, rather than hammer it. I did not say anything about today's United States when I presented the old-Nazi quote, but you saw the parallels. (If your complaint is about quoting others rather than my own words, I'd respond that I often find someone else's words that already express my thoughts better than I can. Or I might find an appropriate quote to use as a response.)
  5. I maybe-blame the President for his actions, inactions and the results of each. Even when he is acting as Karl Rove's maybe-puppet.
  6. You left out sarcasm. My cheif weapon is sarcasm.
I think you made me sound pretty versatile and well-rounded. But I am biased.

About #2: My humor is sometimes aimed at myself. Use of the word "pedantic" is an act of pedantry.

Also about #2: If you are referring to the Al Shortpan spellings, I was having fun with his name - the typo was an inspiration, not a point of derision. (History Moment®:Once the attorneys discovered search engines, people started misspelling famous names on purpose. I do not want to be the one who leads Al's attorneys to the victim of their next libel lawsuit.)

If you were referring to "rediculous", I had resisted and resisted correcting that one, but it happened the same way repeatedly. Plus I was in a really ornery mood on that post. That post qualifies as a rant. I was pretty mean.

BTW, I misspelt at least one word. Now's your chance!

av8torntn

1- I will not suggest that you do anything with your links some of them are amusing.

2-nope

3-yes

4-so

5-a joke? sort of funny I suppose

6- left it out on purpose cause I kinda like that

Have a great day

av8torntn

One of the big disagreements I would have up there in all of that is freedom is scary for some cultures. I think it gets lost to people seeking more power to people who do not have the will to fight for it. You may see that as a culture thing when some Muslims do not fight for anything while some will kill for anything. My observation was the insurgent groups that you say we cause are mainly fighting for more power so this may be what you mean but Saddam had troubles with some of these same groups. The terrorist groups are in the fight more for a religious excuse. It is really an intolerance for freedom because it takes away their power over the very poor and those unable to think for themselves. Oh and I am not a great speller so I used spell check just for you. Anyway I will not reply here anymore I have taken this thread so far off topic I do not remember what the topic is any longer. My apologies.