Will UPS ever deliver ground on Saturday?

Brownsfan

I am getting a thermos shipped fed ex(stupid Amazon) but for once this is a good thing cause it will be here on sat the 2nd and not the 5th like are pkgs will be. Do you think UPS will ever ship ground on Saturday?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
NO.
Studies have been done and they show that Saturdays are the worst day of the week when people are never at home.
There are more outside activities planned for Saturdays, especially for those with children.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, FedEx ground delivers on Saturdays, but not Mondays. I talked to a FedEx driver who informed me of that, so both of us run 5 days a week just ours is a standard work week and theirs is kind of goofy

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
They should, non sign fors. Get the volume out to keep days like Monday from being a complete blast. Plus give Saturday drivers and workers a little more hours.

Johney

The USPS has been losing money forever and has talked about quitting Saturday delivery, so unless they charged extra for Saturday ground like air it will never happen.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, FedEx ground delivers on Saturdays, but not Mondays. I talked to a FedEx driver who informed me of that, so both of us run 5 days a week just ours is a standard work week and theirs is kind of goofy
Fedex Ground delivers Monday through Friday. Fedex Home Delivery, a division of Fedex Ground delivers Tuesday through Saturday. However, at co-locations where Ground and HD share a building, it is not uncommon for HD to deliver some of the Monday freight on Saturday or Saturday business deliveries in the HD system to be diverted to Ground to be serviced Monday rather than waiting until Tuesday.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Fedex Ground delivers Monday through Friday. Fedex Home Delivery, a division of Fedex Ground delivers Tuesday through Saturday. However, at co-locations where Ground and HD share a building, it is not uncommon for HD to deliver some of the Monday freight on Saturday or Saturday business deliveries in the HD system to be diverted to Ground to be serviced Monday rather than waiting until Tuesday.

There are too many FedEx "divisions" to keep track of. But I knew one of them was Tue-Sat

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The USPS has been losing money forever and has talked about quitting Saturday delivery, so unless they charged extra for Saturday ground like air it will never happen.

I was talking to a usps guy a few weeks ago. When the topic of cutting Saturday came around the workers fought it and won. They will keep working 6 days a week.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Re: Will UPS ever deliver ground on Saturday?
HERE, there was a pkg. driver (regular, full time) whose bid workweek was Tuesday through Saturday. I don't know what he was dispatched with on Saturdays (regular Sat. Air work versus grounds), never met him, but I saw his name on the day-off schedule for quite some time. My source tells me he's no longer with the company, and I haven't heard of anyone else bidding on, or assigned to, Tuesday through Saturday.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Re: Will UPS ever deliver ground on Saturday?
HERE, there was a pkg. driver (regular, full time) whose bid workweek was Tuesday through Saturday. I don't know what he was dispatched with on Saturdays (regular Sat. Air work versus grounds), never met him, but I saw his name on the day-off schedule for quite some time. My source tells me he's no longer with the company, and I haven't heard of anyone else bidding on, or assigned to, Tuesday through Saturday.

We have at least one guy here who works Tuesday through Saturday. They had put up a bid list when they wanted to start that, and he and MAYBE 1 other guy signed up for it. On Saturdays he does regular Saturday Air delivery like everyone else. If I didn't love my wife I might have done it, but to have just one day a week where we get to spend time together just wouldn't cut it

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a few cover driver that work Tuesday through Saturday because of route cutting on Monday. I hope we never go to Saturday Ground.

They should, non sign fors. Get the volume out to keep days like Monday from being a complete blast. Plus give Saturday drivers and workers a little more hours.

Ok, I`m the CEO of UPS and I grant your wish. But you have to now work six days a week to do it. How do you feel about it now?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would pretty much be a logistical nightmare and cost a fortune. If the union (agreed / allowed) it, it would all be a time and half.

Not necessarily--you are assuming the standard M-friend work week. Read your supplement--it may surprise you that there is language in there addressing this.

UPSGUY72

Ok, I`m the CEO of UPS and I grant your wish. But you have to now work six days a week to do it. How do you feel about it now?

Would never happen to many drivers would run into HOS problems. They would have to hire more drivers, local sort, preloaders, managers, etc and cut the hours we drive each day. Also they will have to pay the drivers time and half for the whole day. Is is not economically feasible to deliver ground on Sat.

Would never happen to many drivers would run into HOS problems. They would have to hire more drivers, local sort, preloaders, managers, etc and cut the hours we drive each day. Also they will have to pay the drivers time and half for the whole day. Is is not economically feasible to deliver ground on Sat.

It`s me, the CEO again. You`re the low seniority guy and your schedule is now Tue-Sat. Enjoy.