Will we go on strike if contract is voted down

Damok

Damuck,

isnt this statement below the BIGGEST assumption of all? Hmmm?

Can you provide us with some facts of how many facilities have been "ramped" up??

Can you provide us with "who" is hoping for another opportunity of a strike at Fedex?

I havent heard Fred S mentioning anything about UPS, in fact, in his latest comments, he's hinted at selling the company to the chinese.

Not sure where your info comes from, so why not provide us some insight.

Peace.

Seems as though I asked you for the same thing and instead got one of your long winded speeches that didn't do anything to answer my question... funny how that works huh? You have to learn to read a little closer there my boy. See what I did there?

BrownShark

Banned
Seems as though I asked you for the same thing and instead got one of your long winded speeches that didn't do anything to answer my question... funny how that works huh? You have to learn to read a little closer there my boy. See what I did there?

Damuck,

The only "wind" you feel was that of your sail folding, you see my young inexperienced friend, my whole post was predicated on your original "assumption" explaining your doom and gloom prediction.

Try and look at facts rather than impersonating "chicken little" along with others who post on this board.

The sky isnt falling, and our competitors will not shut UPS down.

Its takes not only Hub capacity, but on the street "cube" space to have an effect on UPS. This no one has.

Look at the monetary facts of the situation. Consider that Fedex took 1% of the business after the 97 strike but UPS has gained well over 5% since.

Some of you need to take a course in simple math.

Let the hype go please.

Peace:peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Damuck,

Its takes not only Hub capacity, but on the street "cube" space to have an effect on UPS. This no one has.

So your logic is based on a complete switch in one day rather then the attrition of volume caused by constant labor worries.

Look at the monetary facts of the situation. Consider that Fedex took 1% of the business after the 97 strike but UPS has gained well over 5%
since.

Perhaps you could give us that simple math course? 95 percent of all carriers were single carrier ups. Since then only 15 percent of all shippers are single carrier.

How many ground packages is fdx up to now. 5 Million?
Following your logic we are to assume that fdx does not recognize the difficulties our teamster contract poses for us. Fdx does not solicit customers and warn them of the impending contract. And fdx has no plans to absorb those packages?

Clearly fdx can not handle all of our packages. But they do have a string of freshly built buildings all over the us that are underutilized.

So if the ballon goes up and we strike again. Whats the damage? Whats an exceptable loss for you since fdx can't handle it all? 10 percent of our packages? 20 percent? This time. What about the next time we have a contract negotiation. How much is an acceptable loss then?

You can't discount the affect these negotiations have on our business with your smug commentary.

VTBrown

Well then....I would suggest that UPS come up with a better offer quickly if we vote this one down.

Pretty simple there.

diesel96

Who's selling out the younger members and "new hires", your plan of holding out untill they concede to ALL your concessions are addressed spells disaster and dismissal for them.I don't speak for the rest of the country who aren't in such desperation mode as you guys are suffering but I don't feel the issue's being debated here is detrimental enough for a no vote.

Really, part time coverage drivers will be able to work up to 899 hours at $16.10 and will not become full time.

These part timers could work 899 hours as a part time coverage driver and 1000 hours in their part time inside job and still only receive part time benefits and pension. How can someone work over 1800 hours and still be considered part time?????

IF a driver in progression worked 480 hours, they would be full-time.

The company will work these part time coverage driver instead of progression drivers whenever possible which is anytime they want to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cover driving is voluntary. They know what their getting into and are expected of them. Don't think for a moment because they work so many hours they should jump into full-time status ahead of part-timers who have waited and earned their senority status to reach a driver progression opportunity. This is why the silent part time majority needs to raise these concerns to the leadership beforehand, not as a afterthought. This is why they should just do away with cover driving period, or use them as originally intended to vacation or workers comp coverage. Cover drivers are the reason driver progression is slow. Guess what, if nobody would volunteer, UPS would be forced to progress more into full time driver jobs. Unfortunatly, econimics rule,I guess these guys need the money more, but why apply for a part time job if you need full time pay.

VTBrownRe: Will we go on strike if contract is voted down
Well then....I would suggest that UPS come up with a better offer quickly if we vote this one down.

Pretty simple there

Well then, I suggest you contact your local FED-EX office and re-apply for a job their, cause you could be one of unlucky ones layed-off or demoted rookie.

Damok

Damuck,

The only "wind" you feel was that of your sail folding, you see my young inexperienced friend, my whole post was predicated on your original "assumption" explaining your doom and gloom prediction.

Try and look at facts rather than impersonating "chicken little" along with others who post on this board.

Look at the monetary facts of the situation. Consider that Fedex took 1% of the business after the 97 strike but UPS has gained well over 5% since.

Some of you need to take a course in simple math.

Let the hype go please.

Peace:peaceful:

And still you fail at comprehension... you're so very interested in "hearing yourself speak" you miss what's going on around you. You can't even respond to the initial question but instead miss the point of my post and ask me for my "sources" I /sigh in your general direction... in fact, I've gone from being amused by you to feeling sorry for you... though I'm sure I'll still get the occasional chuckle. Buck up and turn that frown upside down.

tieguy

Banned

Pretty simple there.

maybe. Or maybe a maybe a majority of your brothers don't have the death wish you and a few others show here.

Maybe a majority of your brothers and sisters will look at the offer and trust their leaders did a good job fixing some key issues and got the best overall deal they could. I personally think this contract will do a lot to spruce up the many ailing pension plans. I'd bet money there will be many posters here in 5 years talking about how happy they are with their pension plans. Only time will tell.

In any case the balls in your court. I can certainly unload em, sort em and deliver them. I can also pull the feeders wherever they need to go. Can't fly the planes yet but hey maybe by the next contract I'll be ready to do that also.

Whatever the outcome I personally think there will be a lot less pain voting for the offer then voting against. Its your decision to make and your lesson to learn.

browned out

maybe. Or maybe a maybe a majority of your brothers don't have the death wish you and a few others show here.

Maybe a majority of your brothers and sisters will look at the offer and trust their leaders did a good job fixing some key issues and got the best overall deal they could. I personally think this contract will do a lot to spruce up the many ailing pension plans. I'd bet money there will be many posters here in 5 years talking about how happy they are with their pension plans. Only time will tell.

In any case the balls in your court. I can certainly unload em, sort em and deliver them. I can also pull the feeders wherever they need to go. Can't fly the planes yet but hey maybe by the next contract I'll be ready to do that also.

Whatever the outcome I personally think there will be a lot less pain voting for the offer then voting against. Its your decision to make and your lesson to learn.

Wow the tieguy can do it all. I think he can unload the trucks in the input, run to the other side of the belt and sort the pkgs, blaze over to the PDs and load the drop 28s or 53 footers, etc etc. (kinda like snoppy playing ping pong on both sides of the table)

Management did a stellar job filling in in 97

tieguy

Banned
Wow the tieguy can do it all. I think he can unload the trucks in the input, run to the other side of the belt and sort the pkgs, blaze over to the PDs and load the drop 28s or 53 footers, etc etc. (kinda like snoppy playing ping pong on both sides of the table)

Actually yes. Didn't have the numbers to clean it up in one day but yep overall I think we did a good job. Not saying I'd like to go through it again since it was a lot of long days but I felt good about what me and my brothers in management did during that stretch considering there were a lot less of us I think we did pretty good. My comment above is not braggery but simply stating a fact. I'm along for the ride. So if VT was to fire a shot about the company thats fine. it really does not matter to me. I can certainly suck up cardboard if I have to and I'm confident I can find something else to do if you guys want to run this company in the ground and give it all to fdx and dhl. I'm financially secure like others here who invest and diversify. I've made sure I also diversify in my skills so I am still marketable on the job market if need be. I'd like to keep us number one in parcels but I can't control what you folks do. I can't control your desire to continously want to play with fire simply because we now think a job that will pay 32 bucks an hour with beni's and retirement and plenty of paid time off is no longer enough.

705red

Browncafe Steward

You cannot collect a pension if you get fired for weak language! Look at the rollaway language, you can drive into a building and be ok, but god help it if your hand brake isnt tight and you roll into a mailbox your fired.

If this is true and you honestly believe that you can do our jobs as good as we can then why did you take a pay cut and go into management?

If its our decision why are you selling it so much? I do hope that it will not pass on the national level, but if it does we have started campaining against this offer here in chicago. We are getting everyone informed on the offer so everyone has time to look at the pluses and the minuses. One thing i can promise everyone here is that we wont except that offer!

FromBluetoBrown

And then we can grieve him for working:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
You cannot collect a pension if you get fired for weak language! Look at the rollaway language, you can drive into a building and be ok, but god help it if your hand brake isnt tight and you roll into a mailbox your fired.

I suppose you're right we should bring him back to work with no repercussions so the next time he has a runaway it can kill a couple of kids playing next to the mailbox.

If this is true and you honestly believe that you can do our jobs as good as we can then why did you take a pay cut and go into management?

I think you totally missed my point. I'm past the false bravado of who can do the better job and who can bring whom to their knees during contract negotiations. You need to reread my post instead of making assumptions. I'm secure with the fact that I can't control what happens at contract time and I'm secure with the possible consequences. I realize there may be another psycho like Carey who knows he has impending indictments coming down the pipe and tries to throw a public strike to salvage his place in history. I'm not sure who you think you're talking to but I never took a pay cut getting into management. My pay has increased significantly each time I was promoted from one position to another.

Red I realize we have some idiots on this board but to be honest I expected a better response from you.

VTBrown

Tie....show me where I made a shot at the company, I can't find it. I'm more pro-company then union. The only thing I do not like about the contract relates to OT.

As far as you doing our job??? Why on earth couldn't you? It's an increasingly easy job. Can be physical but its still easy.

Cole

A strike is very very unlikely! Why? Because the Union would have to call it, and they are recommending this one, so if it gets voted down, I believe they will make a few minimal changes, and send it back to us etc...

sawdusttv

A strike is very very unlikely! Why? Because the Union would have to call it, and they are recommending this one, so if it gets voted down, I believe they will make a few minimal changes, and send it back to us etc...

That's right, that is the reason they started negotiations so early. So that they have time to fix problems, if their first offer is turned down, without dragging it out to the last minute. All the strike talk and the threats of not talking again until June? Nothing but scare tactics, to win votes from the new and uninformed!

browned out

Actually yes. Didn't have the numbers to clean it up in one day but yep overall I think we did a good job. Not saying I'd like to go through it again since it was a lot of long days but I felt good about what me and my brothers in management did during that stretch considering there were a lot less of us I think we did pretty good. My comment above is not braggery but simply stating a fact. I'm along for the ride. So if VT was to fire a shot about the company thats fine. it really does not matter to me. I can certainly suck up cardboard if I have to and I'm confident I can find something else to do if you guys want to run this company in the ground and give it all to fdx and dhl. I'm financially secure like others here who invest and diversify. I've made sure I also diversify in my skills so I am still marketable on the job market if need be. I'd like to keep us number one in parcels but I can't control what you folks do. I can't control your desire to continously want to play with fire simply because we now think a job that will pay 32 bucks an hour with beni's and retirement and plenty of paid time off is no longer enough.

A good job?

I recall one feeder replacement driver tragically dying in an accident. My prayers go out to his family. I don't know if he was ill prepared or working too many hours but he paid the ultimate price for the ups get it done at any cost mentallity. Thank god the trailer did not land on a schoolbus filled with elementary school children.

So the feeder dept was on pace for about 25 deaths a year. Ups has only had 14 fatalities this entire year. I don't know if there were pakage car fatalities as well or have the numbers on their accidents.

I know management eat their young. Sending out management in an unfamilar job at the long hours you stated endangered the lives of the general public as well as ups management personel.

tieguy

Banned
A good job?

I recall one feeder replacement driver tragically dying in an accident. My prayers go out to his family. I don't know if heI was ill prepared or working too many hours but he paid the ultimate price for the ups get it done at any cost mentallity. Thank god the trailer did not land on a schoolbus filled with elementary school children.

So the feeder dept was on pace for about 25 deaths a year. Ups has only had 14 fatalities this entire year. I don't know if there were pakage car fatalities as well or have the numbers on their accidents.

I know management eat their young. Sending out management in an unfamilar job at the long hours you stated endangered the lives of the general public as well as ups management personel.

I'm sorry I though we were talking about how we dug in during that time and worked together. Give your evil company BS a rest and please don't ever give me that BS about prayers to the family when you used the guys death as another reason to bash the company. You discredit his committment and his death when you do so. Knowing you company haters you were probably titillated when the guy died.

browned out

That's assine. Anyone on this site who does no feel bad when anyone dies whether hourly oe management has some severe issues.

As for bashing the company I will continue to do so when its demands reult in the death of any upser. The people are more important than the packages..

I know you think it smells great and is nice and its warm in there but please come out of big browns ass and try to see more than 1 side of the story.

Everytime I think that you may be objective. You make a statement like the roll away into a mailbox comments.

The post was about being discharged and not discharged based on speculation.

A driver could run over the mailbox on purpose or or crash twice into other cars etc and still only get a warning notice.. Is this driver anyless dangerous? The roll away should be treated as an avidable and judged by severity as all other accidents are. We used to be instructed to put the car in lowest gear or reverse and put handbrake on. Shifter could be inadvertantly bumped out of gear. We had a roll away and driver was terminated. He got his job back and ups change it to lowest foreward gear.