wish me luck

LaUpser

Started my first day of driver class, today it went smooth kinda nervous on how much is to be discussed in 5 days. but here's a few questions ill like to ask also im a p/t unloader so i would be moving up from within

1. does anyone know the pay rate for cover driver before/after 30days
2. is rate different for inside compared to off the street hire
3. what is the rate for air pay on sat.
4. any tips on remembering the 10 point commentary

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Do youself a huge favor, it will answer all these questions, DON'T DO IT. Save yourself a ton of misery and anger and find something else to do with your life. Good day

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do youself a huge favor, it will answer all these questions, DON'T DO IT. Save yourself a ton of misery and anger and find something else to do with your life. Good day

​ok so we know what u wish u had done but that's pretty poor advice for someone else. Everyone situation is different. Sure there are days I hate this job but for me the money makes it all worth it.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I would avoid cover driving. The covers getting hired right now will most likely only work during peak, and maybe a month or two during summer. I would only go cover if the center your going into has a lot of high seniority cover drivers who are going to be going full time next year.

Cementups

Box Monkey
4. any tips on remembering the 10 point commentary

correspond each number with each point.

1.......leave 1 car length when stopped in traffic
2, there are two lefts in this one......look left right left before proceeding through intersection
3......count 1,2,3 when pulling from stop.
4, there is a 4 in it...........4- 6 second following distance under30, 6-8 over 30
5, .......8-12 second eye lead time.
6 & 7 both start with S's........stale green lights & scan steering wheels
8, lay the 8 on it's side and it looks like eyes.....establish eye contact
9 is like a hook looking over your left shoulder......... Look over left shoulder when pulling from curb
10, two numbers = two mirrors.......use of mirrors

​Good luck

MDupsernj

It seems "cover driving" has different meanings around the country. By me, I'm considered a "cover" or a "split" driver. I'm a full time perm driver who just doesn't have a route. I have same pay/benefits as any regular full time driver. Our "casuals" are summer/peak hires who start at starting rate and have no benefits and are only seasonal.

LaUpser

I would avoid cover driving. The covers getting hired right now will most likely only work during peak, and maybe a month or two during summer. I would only go cover if the center your going into has a lot of high seniority cover drivers who are going to be going full time next year.
this is not a problem for me because i also have a fullltime job im doing this to get my foot in the door

LaUpser

Firstly I would like thanks everyone for the help. I made it out the class with a 100. The first two have me nerve wrecked and second guessing myself I I really wanted to do this by after I got comfortable it wasn't so bad , they say now I suppose to have at least 3 days with sup then I'm on my on is that true or bs . Also would I be able to driver Saturday air now . One reason is it would help me areas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, you will have 3 days with an on-car and then you will be on your own. Saturday Air would be a huge help but that should have been done before sending you to school and it would be unfair to bump someone just to give you time behind the wheel.

The worst thing you can do is to look in the cargo and become overwhelmed. Take it one section at a time. Make sure you get your airs off by their commit times. If you can deliver ground at the same time as the air that would be a bonus. Ask your on-car to print out the delivery records for the area that you will be covering----this will give you an idea of how the regular or other cover drivers run the route. By no means do you have to follow that stop for stop---use it as a tool to get a general idea of how the area is run. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed pull over to the side of the road and take a short break to regain your composure. If you do get frustrated, and you will, try not to let that show while you are making a delivery.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
It seems "cover driving" has different meanings around the country. By me, I'm considered a "cover" or a "split" driver. I'm a full time perm driver who just doesn't have a route. I have same pay/benefits as any regular full time driver. Our "casuals" are summer/peak hires who start at starting rate and have no benefits and are only seasonal.

Where I work we dont use the term "casual," just seasonal driver. We have no full time cover only TCDs, and any FT driver with out a bid is called a swing driver for slang and "unassigned" for the official term.

LaUpser

I totally understand the seniority thing I have been off and on for 6yrs. Mainly because I wasn't sure if it want to driver ... Well better late than never