With 250 drivers fired, who delivered the packages?

johnups

250 discharge hearings should keep the local busy and cost them a lot of money in litigation fee's. The intent was never to fire all 250 drivers The good drivers will be fine. The question will be what will happen to what the company views as the true troublemakers in this illegal strike. the local will have to make tough decisions. If they feel they cant save all 250 will they be forced to cut deals to save as many as possible? This illegal strike could end up being a gift for the company. An opportunity to get rid of a few bad apples.

johnups

No , the members are not fine. As of 6:00 tonight they walked off another 16 drivers in 804. This is not over, Hoffa needs to step in and demand OUR jobs back or ELSE. This is a stand for ALL UPS drivers around the country. YOU may be next!!!! They push and push, We at 804 are tired of having there foot on our necks. Wake up Teamsters, Hoffa!!! Hello. Those still without contracts should go out as well, how much money is enough for these people( animals). They violate our contract 5 days a week 24 hours a day in Maspeth, and that's FINE??? They always talk about the customer, they don't care about the customer as long as their bill is paid. Goodnight.

johnups

250 discharge hearings should keep the local busy and cost them a lot of money in litigation fee's. The intent was never to fire all 250 drivers The good drivers will be fine. The question will be what will happen to what the company views as the true troublemakers in this illegal strike. the local will have to make tough decisions. If they feel they cant save all 250 will they be forced to cut deals to save as many as possible? This illegal strike could end up being a gift for the company. An opportunity to get rid of a few bad apples.
First of all, lets understand what is in our contract. The LOCAL is prohibited from calling a "wildcat" strike and so are the members. This was an action by the members that was improper and violated our national master agreement.

No matter what the situation, we can never "WILDCAT" the company. Its an automatic termination for any employee who engages in this process. We as members can NEVER interupt the business.

While the cause may have been good, and the rationale behind it honest, it can never be done.

Everyone will be restored once the smoke clears, the company CANNOT take some back and not "people they dont like" as suggested.

You take one back, you take them ALL back. There are no exceptions.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. The local will work it all out.

TOS.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No , the members are not fine. As of 6:00 tonight they walked off another 16 drivers in 804. This is not over, Hoffa needs to step in and demand OUR jobs back or ELSE. This is a stand for ALL UPS drivers around the country. YOU may be next!!!! They push and push, We at 804 are tired of having there foot on our necks. Wake up Teamsters, Hoffa!!! Hello. Those still without contracts should go out as well, how much money is enough for these people( animals). They violate our contract 5 days a week 24 hours a day in Maspeth, and that's FINE??? They always talk about the customer, they don't care about the customer as long as their bill is paid. Goodnight.
Time to wake up people. This isht is about to get real....

fedupups

UPS will fire all 249 names they collected make no mistake about that...this will go to arbitration and the end result is a coin toss I believe (50/50 either way)...NYC has threatened UPS with paying all parking fines loss of business etc...with the savings UPS will make from a 4 year progression and vacations for seniority 250 drivers UPS will make there money back and more....when FEDEX and USPS cant handle NYC pickup and delivery requirements guess what UPS will get all the business back..so to get the 250 jobs back what has to happen...1. The International has to step in...2. Hoffa will tell Tim..I can get most if not all jobs back all u have to to do is place the local 804 board in our trusteeship(all on the quiet of course)...if Tim doesn't agree Hoffa will say I offered a deal and it was turned down...currently its a poker game local 804 has a pair of 2's...UPS has 4 aces...lets see who has a royal flush....we all all know UPS abuses us daily but due to our lack of leadership and contract language at all levels we r subjected to their rules and if there are to be any other walkouts nationwide it has to be on a national Hoffa sanctioned level(and we know that aint happening)..so as much as it suxs grab your diad go to your truck and do what we do and hope through some miracle our fellow brothers and sisters are all reinstated asap..

johnups

]I think the majority of the 250 will keep their job but there will be some that will made an example of and some that both the company and the union mutually want to get rid of. We have all seen that happen when even the most ardent union guy will agree that a total screw up has used up all their second chances and its time for them to go.[/quote]
If you only knew

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The PTers in Local 89 did vote and turned down the contract and supplement. Now the complaint from other Union members is that they are holding up every ones raises.

You are mixing up apples and oranges. I never said part-timers don't vote. They just don't vote in any kind of large numbers. Full-timers out vote part-timers even though there are more part-timers at UPS.

And good for local 89. I stand fully behind them and hope they get everything they ask for. And take as long as they need to settle this. My retro check grows by the day.

Mack Grant

I'm reminded of a quote by Sir Sterling Moss. "Never start something you can't stop"
Many situations are like that. Now New York State is weighing in.

Dear UPS:

Is this the publicity you want after last Christmas?
Things are quickly getting out of hand.
Make peace you fools.
Ups wil make peace, but it won't be publicly. A lot of those drivers might get their jobs back, but it will be many months after everything has died down. Sorry you disagree, but I read the news story where the honcho in ATL said the company won't stand for this. This type of thing comes from the top and it can't be ignored.

Mack Grant

Buddy, UPS has stated to the media that they intend to "terminate" the drivers responsible for the wildcat. You can bet your @$$ they will do just that.

Those drivers violated a legal binding contract when they abandoned the job.

Months later, when the heat has settled, they'll allow the good employees back. Those who had a target on their back are probably gone sadly.

Buddy, UPS has stated to the media that they intend to "terminate" the drivers responsible for the wildcat. You can bet your @$$ they will do just that.

Those drivers violated a legal binding contract when they abandoned the job.

Months later, when the heat has settled, they'll allow the good employees back. Those who had a target on their back are probably gone sadly.
Standing with you 804...lot of years with this bs. We need to take a country wide stand and bring these bullying cowards down!!! Same stuff going on here. I'm in 492 in NM, let's stay strong and fight for what we know is right!!!!

hey guys , understand something . as I said in an earlier message UPS is a treacherous company . you should all know this by now. I did the numbers crunching . those 250 drivers will make approximately 21 to 22 million in salaries over the next year. new hires will only make approximately 10 to 11 million a year . figure it out UPS will save 30 plus million dollars over the next 3 years . UNION BUSTING AT ITS FINEST ----- MANAGEMNET WINS LABOR LOSES. and don't think the entire business world is looking to see the outcome of this. CEO'S EVERYWHERE ARE DOING A CIRCLE JERK AS I WRITE THIS

worldwide

Hopefully New York will rescind their $43 million contract from UPS and cut the parking ticket cap that UPS has. Make it real expensive for UPS. Then lets see if their tune changes.

If the contract is cancelled, think of all the Teamsters around the state that will lose their jobs due to decreased volume. If I'm the driver that picks up the state offices in Albany and all that volume disappears and then I'm out of work, I would not be too happy. Others lose their jobs or get bumped because of a wildcat strike based on the actions of one BA? It's also likely that their are terms within the state agreements that they can not simply cancel the agreement anytime they want for any reason. Every agreement of this size would have specific language addressing termination of the agreement. Does the State of NY want more people unemployed? Same goes for the parking ticket "deal". Other companies have the similar deals and it benefits the city of NYC as well since the process is streamlined and less time is spent in court disputing tickets. If UPS is singled out by the city, don't you think there would be legal repercussions?

JL 0513

I can only imagine what the original fired driver feels like. Imagine having 250 drivers come to your defense because of your personal issue and they're lives are ruined. How do you live with that afterwards? All the while being unemployed yourself. Ouch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can only imagine what the original fired driver feels like. Imagine having 250 drivers come to your defense because of your personal issue and they're lives are ruined. How do you live with that afterwards? All the while being unemployed yourself. Ouch.

The ironic part is he will most likely get his job back.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
hey guys , understand something . as I said in an earlier message UPS is a treacherous company . you should all know this by now. I did the numbers crunching . those 250 drivers will make approximately 21 to 22 million in salaries over the next year. new hires will only make approximately 10 to 11 million a year . figure it out UPS will save 30 plus million dollars over the next 3 years . UNION BUSTING AT ITS FINEST ----- MANAGEMNET WINS LABOR LOSES. and don't think the entire business world is looking to see the outcome of this. CEO'S EVERYWHERE ARE DOING A CIRCLE JERK AS I WRITE THIS

Your argument only works if the new drivers hit stride with their delivery abilities right from day one.

New drivers typically suck when they start. They are slow and make lots of mistakes.

A new driver will not equal an experienced driver for about 3 years IMHO. To say it plainly, they will not be even close on production for that amount of time. And if they are not as efficient or as skilled, they will cost UPS more than your estimate.

TUT

If the contract is cancelled, think of all the Teamsters around the state that will lose their jobs due to decreased volume. If I'm the driver that picks up the state offices in Albany and all that volume disappears and then I'm out of work, I would not be too happy.

Think of all those before you that fought for everything you have at UPS today. It is called UNION for a very specific reason. We all have our choices in life, I admire your honesty, but this to sinks ships. This is also why many others not named UPS don't have Union's, it takes real bravery.