Without Amazon, we are toast

F

Frankie's Friend

I'm just asking what you guys think...

Could UPS afford to lose Amazon if Amazon decided to build it's own delivery infrastructure?
Sure they can because we make money on the rest of the volume including the $600 up charge for incompatible freight and the $75 up charge for any ov70.

It takes a bunch of Amazon to trump that. A bunch.

Box Ox

Honestly now....Amazon has ordered 20,000 new vehicles.

This peak was surprising light.....I asked veterans and they said they've never seen it this light....ever.

Did some digging and I found out that back in 2013, UPS has a "Christmas Delivery Fiasco" and could not deliver many packages on time for many weeks after Christmas. This led Amazon to begin to build it's own delivery service.

So, the question is: How important is Amazon to UPS? Can UPS survive without Amazon?

Amazon delivering most/all of its own packages would hit UPS stop counts more than actual profits. Profit per piece isn’t big, but routes would be cut.

Amazon taking a big chunk of the premium air volume that UPS and FedEx currently deliver would be a bigger concern. Ground covers operating costs. Air is the profit maker.

F

Frankie's Friend

It's been sweet, at about 7.5 hours they send a few Amazon vans and take everything off the truck. Then tow me back for a perfect 8hour day
200.gif

take your time

Amazon delivering most/all of its own packages would hit UPS stop counts more than actual profits. Profit per piece isn’t big, but routes would be cut.

Amazon taking a big chunk of the premium air volume that UPS and FedEx currently deliver would be a bigger concern. Ground covers operating costs. Air is the profit maker.

That's interesting to know.

Amazon is opening it's own air hub, and leasing airplanes.

amazon air.png

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Amazon would have to open a mail center in multiple strip malls in every city to pull it off. They can't buy out UPS Stores/Kinkos/USPS. Basically amazon air is them flying their own :censored2: around. If anything the prime vans are only hurting the post office delivering the small :censored2: we could care less about.

They have to undercut their own contractors (prime) just to recoup some money for free shipping on the little :censored2:.

F

Frankie's Friend

We would be truly surprised at what we accrue in Amazon profit vs any other pkg. Stops would slow down for a time but did you read the new surepost language in the Best Contract Ever? If they roll (hold) a trailer that's even 5% they can send ALL the surepost (mostly Amazon) to the post office in that facility so we aren't going to get what we have now regardless of what Amazon delivers themselves. Their quality will diminish. Our profitability will increase.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This peak was surprising light.....I asked veterans and they said they've never seen it this light....ever.

Did some digging and I found out that back in 2013, UPS has a "Christmas Delivery Fiasco" and could not deliver many packages on time for many weeks after Christmas. This led Amazon to begin to build it's own delivery service.

So, the question is: How important is Amazon to UPS? Can UPS survive without Amazon?
Not nearly as important as everyone acts.

Overpaid Union Thug

That fiasco was mostly the fault of Amazon. They bit off more than they could chew and blamed us. Horrible weather compounded the issue. ALL carriers failed. The following year we added capacity, seasonals, and drivers and cruised through peak (like this year) while FedEx floundered AGAIN. Amazon will ruin Xmas if they ever try to deliver more than a small fraction. They'll always need help

bumped

What you don't understand is most of us lived through 2013. The winter weather across the nation wat terrible in December. Amazon, even if they had their own delivery system wouldn't have been able to do it either. Amazon through UPS and Fed Ex under the bus. That's when most of us said FU to Amazon.

In 2013, Amazon was promising that on the 23rd of December that is you ordered by 11:00 pm cst that you could get a Christmas Eve delivery. That is just not going to happen. False promises.

2014 was probably the easiest peak besides this one. UPS overhired, and we got crushed in 2015 when we under hired. Can you guess what's going to happen next year.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Oh how new employees think....Amazon hurts us far more than they help us. It’s all in the margins....and with them it’s horrible. Low paying customer who wants priority over higher paying customer.....and you think this is good business for us. We’ve had to hire more and buy more capacity just to fulfill our obligations to this low margin customer.

In 2013 they screwed up...our culpability was that we didn’t say no. They’d have 7-10 trailers show up unannounced on top of their planned volume. They knew full well what we could and couldn’t do.

Well look at the post office this year.....look familiar. Bottom line is that what we do is a commodity and should be priced accordingly to the laws of supply and demand. The losses at the post office will be staggering this peak and then perhaps people will understand that there truly is no such thing as “free shipping”.

F

Frankie's Friend

We also added a "peak" tariff this year. From my understanding FedEx didnt.
That cyphoned off a percentage plus the contract confusion with ups freight voting it down all the while the media showing ups pkg cars in the "possible strike looming" pics didnt help.
The post office may have caught up now? Good luck shipping with them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So...peak wasn't light this year compared to other years?

View attachment 228859

Show me route optimization software that works better than experienced drivers... and we are redirecting packages to access points after one attempt. And what is a FedEx store? Never heard of it. Was this article written by a middle school newspaper journalist? If you are concerned about what you read in garbage like this I have a bridge for sale that might interest you.