Won a bid route, and they started changing it

clever_username

Philosoraptor
So I bid on this route last minute, as I had been watching it for two weeks, checking how it’s dispatched. Rural route, lot of miles but only 100 or so stops a day and 5 pickups that usually cancel. Sounds perfect.

A week in and they start throwing splits on, some days I’m up to 130 stops. Bear in mind I’m covering roughly 300-400 square miles. That’s a 12 hour day. One can only drive so fast down dirt roads. My point is this isn’t what I bid on.

Is there any recourse? Is management allowed to just start changing a route around like that? Does being on the 9.5 in my last center carry over to this one? Any advice is appreciated.

Put it in writing that you're opting onto the 9.5 list, your new building prob doesn't have you on the list. They can change your route up to 49% in most places without any recourse. Good luck.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
So I bid on this route....

A week in and they start throwing splits on, some days I’m up to 130 stops...... My point is this isn’t what I bid on.

Is there any recourse? Is management allowed to just start changing a route around like that? Does being on the 9.5 in my last center carry over to this one? Any advice is appreciated.

UPS will always try to squeeze as much productivity out of you. Besides 9.5, which may or may not have teeth, in that they'll just pay out the penalties. Best course of action I've found is to simply SLOW DOWN. Let them own their own failures. Work at the same pace, realize that over dispatching is for them to fix, not you. When their numbers are greatly screwed up, getting chewed out on conference calls, having to move heaven & earth to make your day successful, they'll learn and back down. Until next time it creeps up again. Rinse & repeat, collect extra money or get a decent dispatch.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I bid on this route last minute, as I had been watching it for two weeks, checking how it’s dispatched. Rural route, lot of miles but only 100 or so stops a day and 5 pickups that usually cancel. Sounds perfect.

A week in and they start throwing splits on, some days I’m up to 130 stops. Bear in mind I’m covering roughly 300-400 square miles. That’s a 12 hour day. One can only drive so fast down dirt roads. My point is this isn’t what I bid on.

Try this

Slow down

ManInBrown

UPS will always try to squeeze as much productivity out of you. Besides 9.5, which may or may not have teeth, in that they'll just pay out the penalties. Best course of action I've found is to simply SLOW DOWN. Let them own their own failures. Work at the same pace, realize that over dispatching is for them to fix, not you. When their numbers are greatly screwed up, getting chewed out on conference calls, having to move heaven & earth to make your day successful, they'll learn and back down. Until next time it creeps up again. Rinse & repeat, collect extra money or get a decent dispatch.
This, but opt onto the 9.5 and file every single week you are violated. Lots of drivers opt on, but get scared and don’t file. Trust me, after weeks and weeks of handing you free money, something will change. The people up above get real sick and tired at some point of handing out free money. Like someone else said, it’s always possible they just pay out and don’t care. IMO the scenario I described happens more often though, from my personal experience. File, file, file.

542thruNthru

1st. Yes you should still be on the 9.5 list. The list is maintained by your local not the company and you are on it for 5 months. (Yellow highlight)

2nd. If it were me I would slow a bit and do the job by the book. Make it hard to complete every stop and or every pick up before running out of hours. Like was already mentioned this alone can usually get the company to stop screwing with the route.

3rd. I would file 9.5 every single week without fail. I would send a message by DIAD every day saying "I am over dispatched and will not make 9.5" I would then make sure to print every message to show that the center knew of the dispatch problems.

4th. After I had filed and been paid 4 time I would file a grievance stating the green highlighted language and request to be present. I would also attach a copy of the bid sheet that shows stops, pick ups, miles, area. So when the meeting took place I could show how my route was changed as soon as I took it and why I am over 9.5 so much and request my route be fixed so that I can make 9.5.

There is no easy fix. You have to stay vigilant and not get upset. You're going to have to come to the realization that you're going to have some long nights for a while but just remember the end goal.
Screenshot_20200704-091526_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
1st. Yes you should still be on the 9.5 list. The list is maintained by your local not the company and you are on it for 5 months. (Yellow highlight)

2nd. If it were me I would slow a bit and do the job by the book. Make it hard to complete every stop and or every pick up before running out of hours. Like was already mentioned this alone can usually get the company to stop screwing with the route.

3rd. I would file 9.5 every single week without fail. I would send a message by DIAD every day saying "I am over dispatched and will not make 9.5" I would then make sure to print every message to show that the center knew of the dispatch problems.

4th. After I had filed and been paid 4 time I would file a grievance stating the green highlighted language and request to be present. I would also attach a copy of the bid sheet that shows stops, pick ups, miles, area. So when the meeting took place I could show how my route was changed as soon as I took it and why I am over 9.5 so much and request my route be fixed so that I can make 9.5.

There is no easy fix. You have to stay vigilant and not get upset. You're going to have to come to the realization that you're going to have some long nights for a while but just remember the end goal.
View attachment 301256
You are a great brother, brother

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

View attachment 301256
This year, the 9.5 list in Jan is good the rest of the year without signing again in June. You probably know this.

The route descriptions must also include the "base line". If you get tired of being used and abused then work at a consistent pace, not foolishly running to get it all done, take your whole lunch like your applicable contract reads, and take all your other paid breaks by 15:00. You'll see your route get better if you don't cave in.
PS/ Call your Steward and BA (if they're worth the time) and keep them up to speed on this garbage...especially in this heat index.

710 steward

Slow it down. Slow it down to a 13 hour day. Every Friday becomes an eight hour request. If you’re already working 12’s then taking your time to follow THEIR methods shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited:

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Whenever there is a newer, and often younger driver on a bid route, dispatch likes to see how much they can push the envelope. Old Man Jones only did 85 stops because he had 25 years in, was on the 9.5 list and didn't give a :censored2: about the company's numbers.

The company relies on the younger guys not knowing their rights and having them run around like chickens with their heads cut off with an inflated stop count.

JJinVA

Whenever there is a newer, and often younger driver on a bid route, dispatch likes to see how much they can push the envelope. Old Man Jones only did 85 stops because he had 25 years in, was on the 9.5 list and didn't give a :censored2: about the company's numbers.

The company relies on the younger guys not knowing their rights and having them run around like chickens with their heads cut off with an inflated stop count.

I was hauling a** when I first started, and now everyday when I have 6-8 stops left I see that little green light in the top right corner of the DIAD light up while Im driving to the next stop and I know, before even looking, its a supe asking me to call the center when Im done to go take work off people. Some days I dont mind cause I like money and I take my sweet time when I take work off someone, but it gets old. Most days I just want to go home

11.19igrad

this what happened to me. trying to improve on fake production pressure and something went wrong on my 11th hour. would have never realized the truth of 22.4 if it hadn't happened

Over70irregs

Slow it down. Slow it down to a 13 hour day. Every Friday becomes an eight hour request. If you’re already working 12’s then taking your time to follow THEIR methods shouldn’t be a problem.
What happens when 8 hour request is not honored? (This is a learning/teaching moment for the masses)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You need to check your supplemental contract language.

From the Central Region....

"In centers where drivers bid on delivery areas, the bid shall contain a geographic description of the area or loop and identify the base line. It is understood that day-to-day adjustments may be made. The above language shall also apply to full-time combination jobs."

-Bug-