Won my over 9 1/2 greivances!

wornoutupser

I won my greivances last week. I had 11 filed- there could have been more on weeks that were close.
I get a good amount of the additional pay and the company agrees to control my overtime in the future.

That is the funny part, I filed Friday night for yet a another week! Will they EVER learn?

wornoutupser

Watch your back.They'll be gunning for you.Make sure you check your mirrors and the bushes.

He He He They have already followed me twice in the last month. I took my center manager for a 25 mile ride as he lost me in a gated area and had to catch me. I had a BLAST with that one!
My on road followed me during a horrendous Florida thunderstorm. I took him through every deep hole in the road that I could find-my old car goes through anything. I laughed as I watched him going through that deep stuff!

Just remember your security training: If someone is following you and you DONT recognize the vehicle, dial 911 and have some fun!

beentheredonethat

He He He They have already followed me twice in the last month. I took my center manager for a 25 mile ride as he lost me in a gated area and had to catch me. I had a BLAST with that one!
My on road followed me during a horrendous Florida thunderstorm. I took him through every deep hole in the road that I could find-my old car goes through anything. I laughed as I watched him going through that deep stuff!

Just remember your security training: If someone is following you and you DONT recognize the vehicle, dial 911 and have some fun!
Worn out - You may have some fun at this. But, all you need is a cop in a bad mood, or worse, a real emergency that the cops don't get to in time due to your 911 call. If they push it and get the facts that you dialed 911 when you had your supervisor following you. The cops could get you for improper use of emergency services. Even if they don't, how would you feel if due to your call, it caused a delay to a real emergency? Then what would you say, sorry I didn't mean it. There's been a lot of cases in the news showing of how just a few minutes can be the difference between life and death.

Ms Spoken

So call your local police and get their req phone line that goes to dispatch and explain that you think your being followed. I have my local PD in my phone because you never know when you might need it.

Ruralbrownman

Congrads on the grievence win. UPS must have money to burn. In our building we have filed many management doing hourly work , sups and managers running routes or picking up next day airs from drivers who will not be back before our air shuttle leaves , and have won all of them. In fact most are settled and just paid before the hearing date even comes up.

What I would like to see in the next contract is a change in the over 9.5 wordage. What would happen if they were were forced to pay double time for anything over 9.5? My only fear would be that I.E. would make changes in allowances so a driver could not get a 9.5 dispatch. Remember , in the last contract , the 9.5 wordage was changed , and not in the drivers favor.

Last edited:

disneyworld

That's pretty funny if they don't think we see them. In my town,the first driver to notice a sup on the road would call the route next to him and so and so on.

oakland

Yes Dale the 9.5 language is going to be on the table as well as many other things. We had a local meeting recently and that was talked about. Our B.A. asked the members what we would like the language to be. As a whole the theme across the board was to simplify much of the wording in the language. We went through many articles of the contract, who knew we had over 22 different pay tiers. I think the 9.5 stuff that has been gone through the last few years is a positive trend, it has members more aware of the whole process of contract enforcement.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I won the first grievance I ever filed in 22 illustrious yrs, and I was on vacation when it was heard!!! I cashed that check and spent it like a drunken chick at my class reunion. Every dollar was sweeter than the last, then it was gone! It was so special.

outta hours

What I would like to see in the next contract is a change in the over 9.5 wordage. What would happen if they were were forced to pay double time for anything over 9.5? My only fear would be that I.E. would make changes in allowances so a driver could not get a 9.5 dispatch. Remember , in the last contract , the 9.5 wordage was changed , and not in the drivers favor.[/quote]

IE has nothing to do with a 9.5 grievance because it is based on hours WORKED not DISPATCHED. They can and do change their numbers daily. That is why bonus or performance is not in the contract or recognized by the Union. We have several drivers that work over 9.5 with an under 8 dispatch on paper. And this is before PAS. I guess when we get that they will be under 6. But they can and still do file.

tieguy

Banned
Congrads on the grievence win. UPS must have money to burn. In our building we have filed many management doing hourly work , sups and managers running routes or picking up next day airs from drivers who will not be back before our air shuttle leaves , and have won all of them. In fact most are settled and just paid before the hearing date even comes up.

Paying the penalty is still cheaper then putting another car on the road. sad fact of life and why you have the over issues. :blush:

tieguy

Banned
I won my greivances last week. I had 11 filed- there could have been more on weeks that were close.
I get a good amount of the additional pay and the company agrees to control my overtime in the future.

That is the funny part, I filed Friday night for yet a another week! Will they EVER learn?

worn out how did the time standards work into the settlement?

wornoutupser

Tie,

There was no question of my performance. IE has recently gone in and changed all of our center allowances- it has gone from impossible to worse. We are not on PAS yet.

My run has not had a time study ever that I am aware of. I have been here over 20 years and I loaded it before I drove it.

I was running an average on .6 to .9 over- now I am at 1.5 over every day. We have had a problem with management harrassing a driver on production- yet they can't do that. They did and it is costing a 3 day suspension with no warning letter or 1 day suspension first. Management disagrees that performance is not a contract issue here. The run dispatch was changed on the driver two days after the ride and the letter was issued for being .2 SPORH less than the ride. Welcome to the HE@# that exists in this building!

The driver will win, we always do, yet this crap continues. Sorry for the rant but that is a major sore spot here!

trickpony1

Wornoutupser-
I bet that did alot for the morale in the building. I hope the driver files and wins. Management actions like this should bond the drivers together even stronger.
I know of an extended center whose drivers went from:
-starting work(off the clock) an hour early
-running and gunning all day
-not taking meal

to a center whose drivers do none of that.

center manager was pulling his hair out because his numbers started looking real bad. Poor guy, I feel so sorry for him. (sarcasm intended).

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
how did the time standards work into the settlement

Tie

How should the time standards work into the settlement? The way I understand the contract, it says hours worked, not planned. If you only plan 9 hours, but work 10, then you have a issue with the dispatch.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No way can I get a time study.
But you know what I hate the most................
Be 50 late which used to be,,,,, you sucked to being 50 late and they tell me I did one hell of a job.
So the day I am 1.5 late, I get treated like the redheaded step child, yesterday I was 50 late and they tell me I am a star.
And it was time to move on to someone else when I replied "you should have thanked me for the 1.5, I struggled all day, and still made service, didnt get hurt, didnt crash, and worked my a** off. So just dont say anything to me on the good days, coz it was just a stroke of luck, and I worked exactly the same way I always do"
And I did, there is no way to account for the things that go right, or wrong, and the numbers game is giving me indigestion. Because reality isnt in the equation. If Im over consistently, I am filing also. Time to end the charade.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OK, hell has frozen over.
I was only .11 late. Now they think Im in line for a management position.

I have never been that close to scratch since they changed the numbers.
Im convinced they changed them back, or I put in some runners ss#.

Or could it be we have had a new mgr since Monday? And one of the sups that liked to call everyone a slug, also got moved?

He is one of the guys in the 30 yr club, that actually hangs out with us in the AM, instead of sweating over his pc. Acts like a real human being instead of an alien.

He actually smiles.

He actually says Hello, and knows us by name.

I only had one 10 hr day this week.

I must be drunk.............. no its too early. Its only 730 here and I am home, Im usually punching out.......

I must be dreaming.......... no I just pinched my self I am awake.

I actually asked for an option day and it was granted, without a fight, and he even said he would make sure I got paid on time.........Now theres an improvement.........

Maybe, just maybe its gone full circle, and our jobs will be fun again.

Maybe just maybe they are getting rid of the morale killers, that they used to call managers.

Maybe just maybe, we can work our butts off, and someone will notice that , Hey you guys did a great job yesterday, and Ups thanks you, (and yes pays you)

I think thats all we all want is to have a little pride in what we do, instead of being demeaned day after day, month after month.

Im withholding further opinion for a while, but it looks like a good start.

Praise the LORD.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It has been so long, you are so right, and it never should have changed. I know when I was in stupervision, common sense tells you that people will go to the ends of the earth to work hard for you if they like and respect you. But when you get neither back, its just a job. And UPS is so much better than that. Maybe we can congratulate people again who choose that field, instead of saying, "its gonna suck to be you".
I wont be one of them, but maybe they will start promoting people who can be respected, instead of ones that have all book knowledge and no on the job experience. So when they try to fix a problem, or you have a question or suggestion, they dont just say "duh, I dont know"
For once, first time in a long time, I had a good week, Ill take it. It might not be any more than luck, but what the hell, Ive still got an open mind and hope.