Wonder where your raise went this year?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
According to an article I found(http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2009-09-07-CEO-security-spending_N.htm) FDX corp spent over 1/2million on beefing up security for Fred S this past year. I was wondering where our 401K match and raises went. I suppose the rest of the money was spent on Brownbailout lobbying efforts.

"FedEx,which quit matching employee 401(k) contributions, spent $595,875 on the security of CEO Fred S."

I think Fred knows he's made lots of enemies. We don't have any money, but we can protect Fearless Leader at all costs AND make commitments for 190 used 757's to replace the 727 fleet AND invest in the technology that will make many of us obsolete and/or part-time in a few years. I can't believe anyone would want to take a shot at Smith...he's like a father to us and we love him so.

quadro

I think Fred knows he's made lots of enemies. We don't have any money, but we can protect Fearless Leader at all costs AND make commitments for 190 used 757's to replace the 727 fleet AND invest in the technology that will make many of us obsolete and/or part-time in a few years. I can't believe anyone would want to take a shot at Smith...he's like a father to us and we love him so.
Great points. Let's go back to the abacus and stone tablets and see how well we do against our competition.

bbsam

Staff member
So you admit to becoming obsolete at least less an irreplacable cog in the machine but think Fred should continue to pay you more and more? How does that make sense?

!Retired!

"FedEx,which quit matching employee 401(k) contributions, spent $595,875 on the security of CEO Fred S."
That article was posted 9/11/2009. So, the numbers are from 2008. But, I'll play along......
(In parentheses is info I found)
1. Starbucks, which has laid off workers, closed stores and switched from whole to 2% milk to save pennies a gallon, bumped its spending to $511,079 last year on the personal and home security of CEO Howard Schultz.
2. Walt Disney spent $645,368 for CEO Robert Iger..(Disney stores filed for Chapter 11)
3. Occidental Petroleum spent $575,407 for Ray Irani...(stock dropped from 80.50 to 43.90 in '08)
4. McKesson spent $401,706 for John Hammergren....(stock dropped from 58.57 to 35.26 in '08)

Seems like a trend among CEO's...........what the article doesn't say is, did he/they spend MORE or LESS than the year before? I'm sure that most, if not all, of that money was allocated in the budget from the year before.

Are they justified in spending that much for security? Look further down in that same article...
"Last month, the Austrian vacation home of Novartis CEO Daniel Vasella was burned, and police suspect animal-rights extremists. That followed July vandalism when his mother's urn was stolen from a cemetery, where the grave of his sister, who died at age 19, also was desecrated and someone added crosses with the names of Vasella and his wife."

Broke

It's funny how you Fedex defenders always make comparisons to companies outside our industry. How about trying to find something outrageous that our competition (UPS) did last year. Oh wait, you probably can't because their drivers already make DOUBLE what we make and still got their normal raise last year. As I've always said and will continue to say, just allow the Fedex workers at individual locations have a union vote and we will all find out how great of a company this is. JUST GIVE US A DAMN VOTE!!!!!!

bbsam

Staff member
Wanna vote? Go organize and get your vote. Don't wait for someone to "give it to you". If it's worth fighting for, go get it.

!Retired!

It's funny how you Fedex defenders always make comparisons to companies outside our industry. How about trying to find something outrageous that our competition (UPS) did last year. Oh wait, you probably can't because their drivers already make DOUBLE what we make and still got their normal raise last year. As I've always said and will continue to say, just allow the Fedex workers at individual locations have a union vote and we will all find out how great of a company this is. JUST GIVE US A DAMN VOTE!!!!!!
You mean like laying off 1800 workers so they can get their raises while at the same time raising their projections for the year?

For the record.....I'd vote against unionizing and they don't make double what I make.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You mean like laying off 1800 workers so they can get their raises while at the same time raising their projections for the year? For the record.....I'd vote against unionizing.

Point of clarification--the 1800 workers were non union and are not governed by the NMA. Also, we did not get our normal raise--we received a split raise--saving the company a bundle.

I agree that FedEx employees should be given the option, without intimidation or harassment, to vote on whether or not to unionize.

!Retired!

The point wasn't who got laid off. Also, did the split raise total what your contract say you should get or total less?

I doubt any union vote would pass under the current conditions. But, I could be wrong.

BTW, what 'broke' said was off point. The OP was commenting on Fred S's security spending. I just showed it's the same in other industry's, not just FedEx.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS is top heavy and is in the process of what they are calling the Transformation of Small Package, which is basically reducing the number of regions and districts and thus creating a surplus of positions which need to be eliminated.

Yes, we got our total raise, but for only 6 months out of the year, saving the company a bundle.

I also doubt that a union vote would pass but we will never know unless you guys are given the opportunity to vote.

vantexan

Something to consider. Unlike UPS, correct me if I'm wrong, FedEx has 7 payscales. The highest, the "L" payscale, is only paid in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area. The next highest, the "J", is paid in New York City, some cities in California, Alaska and much of Hawaii. These areas, if they vote for a union, aren't going to vote to get $24hr. They aren't going to pay dues, etc to make about what they already make. They'll want pay comparable to UPS. So if a union is voted in around the country will we have the same pay nationwide? There are also many areas, especially in the west, where the cost of living is high, almost California prices, but the pay is either A or B payscale, the two lowest. Flagstaff, AZ for example. I can't imagine people in those situations not voting for a union, especially considering how long it takes a newhire to get to higher pay now. If the right to vote for a union is put into law I'm wondering if FedEx will offer us better pay shortly after to keep the union out. I know some here are very hot about not getting comparable pay to UPS. I'd gladly settle for just being topped out, and if top-out is moved up a couple of bucks then all the better. Doing that will make me go the extra mile, volunteer for OT, do whatever it takes because I finally have a real stake in the company's future. And the right to vote for a union will still be there just in case. I suspect it won't turn out like I am hoping, but I think I'm representative of alot of employees who aren't out to hurt the company, just want better pay. I'd also keep the pay I have now as long as we got real raises every year IF the company would greatly beef up the portable pension plan. In other words take the extra pay of topping us out and put it in the PPA. I realize all this means they'll spend more money and have less profit, but we are hurting out here. That has to be better than the likely problems dealing with a union.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wanna vote? Go organize and get your vote. Don't wait for someone to "give it to you". If it's worth fighting for, go get it.

I like you. You're a passionate defender of the free enterprise system and unlike most people on here, you're articulate enough to do it with intelligence. There is one thing you really don't understand about Express, however, and that's the fact that "fighting for it" will put you out the door pretty quickly. The culture of the company is all about keeping the unions out, and managers will do their best to target and eliminate workers who advocate for the Teamsters. It's illegal, but they've been doing it for 37 years and are very good at it. This is why you'll probably never see open activism at Express and also why the Teamsters need to step it up and start hanging around outside FedEx facilities.

If Fred is such a beloved FedEx icon, why doesn't he appear at Express locations any more, and why does he need a cadre of bodyguards? The answers are obvious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once a driver has gone through the wage progession process (36 months under the new contract) and is at top rate, a driver in NYC makes the same as a driver in Podunk, OK which, IMO, is the way that it should be.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Once a driver has gone through the wage progession process (36 months under the new contract) and is at top rate, a driver in NYC makes the same as a driver in Podunk, OK which, IMO, is the way that it should be.

Exactly. How much do you suppose UPS could save every year if they went to a 15-year top-out and then created different "market levels" the way FedEx does? Smith has been able to keep this scam going for a very long time, and the morons who accept it are only screwing themselves. What gets me is how they defend it!! Amazing.

FedEx courier

The new link to the article I posted had some other points besides how much was spent on security being how much was spent on lobbying. The article is dated Feb. 23 2010.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010022...2010/feb/23/trent-lott-among-fedex-lobbyists/

Some notable quotes from the article include "Of Memphis companies, FedEx spent by far the most on lobbying: $4.65 million in the fourth quarter last year, up from $2.09 million for the fourth quarter in 2008, records show."

"Former senator Trent Lott, R-Miss., was among the lobbyists working in FedEx Corp.'s behalf in the fourth quarter of last year, focusing on Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act provisions of interest to the Memphis-based logistics giant."

"FedEx hired at least nine outside lobbying firms in the fourth quarter, including Breaux Lott Leadership. Lott himself and a former Lott staffer worked on FAA Reauthorization Act issues."

I know it was an older post but I found the article and thought it may be relevant for discussion.

Broke

You didn't pay attention. I said I wanted to be able to have a vote at INDIVIDUAL LOCATIONS. My location is ready and has been for 3 years.

vantexan

Exactly. How much do you suppose UPS could save every year if they went to a 15-year top-out and then created different "market levels" the way FedEx does? Smith has been able to keep this scam going for a very long time, and the morons who accept it are only screwing themselves. What gets me is how they defend it!! Amazing.

I've seen the "15 year top-out" used over at Fedexaminer also. How does one top-out in 15 years? Do the math, it's more like 25 to 30 years, assuming you get a raise every year. Granted the higher payscales start out with higher pay, which gives them larger raises since raises are based on percentages of your current pay. But I doubt it would be less than 20 years for them. I've seen plenty of newhires after their first year get smaller raises than topped out couriers, which puts them even further behind than when they started. And then there are tricks like offering a little more to be a swing, then taking almost twice away when you drop back to regular courier. Happened to me. If at 11 years I was going to make up the $4.10 an hr less that I'm paid in 4 years I'd deal with it. But I'm not, and they don't seem to have any intent to ever pay better. They appear to be waiting out the older topped out folk who will be eventually gone. At that point everyone will be strung along this long line of pay progression where top pay is something you achieve in your 50's. And with annual inflation you won't be much better off then than when you started.

quadro

The new link to the article I posted had some other points besides how much was spent on security being how much was spent on lobbying. The article is dated Feb. 23 2010.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010022...2010/feb/23/trent-lott-among-fedex-lobbyists/

Some notable quotes from the article include "Of Memphis companies, FedEx spent by far the most on lobbying: $4.65 million in the fourth quarter last year, up from $2.09 million for the fourth quarter in 2008, records show."

"Former senator Trent Lott, R-Miss., was among the lobbyists working in FedEx Corp.'s behalf in the fourth quarter of last year, focusing on Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act provisions of interest to the Memphis-based logistics giant."

"FedEx hired at least nine outside lobbying firms in the fourth quarter, including Breaux Lott Leadership. Lott himself and a former Lott staffer worked on FAA Reauthorization Act issues."

I know it was an older post but I found the article and thought it may be relevant for discussion.
It's really not that notable. There's nothing unusual about businesses lobbying. In fact, UPS is one of the largest PAC contributors out there.