Wonder where your raise went this year?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would Fred hire Trent Lott's lobbying firm anyway? After all, according to employees like 59Dano and Jackal, he's just wasting his money because EVERYONE loves FedEx just like they do. That Fred, just tossing it all away on foolish stuff like powerful lobbyists...imagine. As far as a 15-year top-out goes, that's only a guess. Maybe it really is 20 years, because nobody really seems to know. I am aware of a number of 15-plus year people who have not yet reached top scale. Whatever the length, it's effing ridiculous and the only way FedEx gets away with it is because we have no choice but to accept their terms. Vote-in the Teamsters and everyone will reach top wage in 3 years. 70% of top scale to start, and a 10% raise each following year. Simple and fair. Any problem with that, suck-ups?

quadro

Good point. Maybe "notable" was the wrong word to use. I should have used relevant instead.
I'm not sure relevant is right either simply because businesses have and will continue to contribute to try and get the legislation they want. In other words, it's just another day on The Hill. Regardless of one's opinions about union or non-union, good vs. evil, etc., the fact remains that money talks.

!Retired!

Once a driver has gone through the wage progession process (36 months under the new contract) and is at top rate, a driver in NYC makes the same as a driver in Podunk, OK which, IMO, is the way that it should be.
I understand the pension funds are different in different cities while the salaries are the same...correct?

If that's the case....a driver making $X in NYC should make the same as a driver in Podunk, OK? The driver in NYC will live in a 1b/r apt while the driver in Podunk lives in a 5000 sqft home on 10 acres of land. Sounds fair to me.

My actual numbers might be off, but I think you understand what I'm saying.

FedEx courier

MrFedEx brings up a great point. If everything is peachy across the board there isn't any need in spending millions of dollars hiring lobbying firms to attempt to retain the RLA classification.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand the pension funds are different in different cities while the salaries are the same...correct?

If that's the case....a driver making $X in NYC should make the same as a driver in Podunk, OK? The driver in NYC will live in a 1b/r apt while the driver in Podunk lives in a 5000 sqft home on 10 acres of land. Sounds fair to me.

We are hourly, not salary, and are currently at $29.27/hr and will be at approx. $32/hr at the end of this contract. Yes, different areas have different pensions. Upstate NY is in the NYS Teamsters for benefit and pension purposes. Our most recent retiree is taking home about $4K/month (for now--he is in the process of getting divorced so will probably lose 1/2) and we have been told that our pension is among the highest.

Why should you make more than I simply because you choose to live in a more expensive area? That's not my concern.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

First, the "old" pension plan was much less than the UPS pension plan. The current PPP shouldn't even be compared because it isn't a pension plan at all. It's a small annuity that is portable in the sense that when you quit, a piddly little sum leaves with you. My 50% pension under the traditional plan is almost exacly half what local UPS package car drivers will get when they quit. Plus, they make much more money (even with union dues) and have a real grievance process that keeps most from getting prematurely canned. I'll trade my flight benefits, PSP, GFT, and every other worthless acronym we have for a fair deal like UPS gets...in a second.

On market levels. Using your logic, our top execs and most of our pilots should be subject to extreme market-level scrutiny since they live in Memphis, where homes cost a fraction of what they generally do out west. Of course, they have to live in a place that has very little going for it other tha FedEx and Gracelend. Anyone up for a trip to Mud Island?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hate to say it. I'll trade in my flight benefits too. Without jetBlue I am no longer a happy camper.

I still maintain that the only reason flight benefits have not gone away is so Smith can pretend we're an "airline". If the RLA exemption goes away, so will your flight benefits because there will no longer be any need to keep-up the illusion. It's all part of the smoke and mirrors show that Fred has successfully pitched for all these years. I'll take a real retirement and a raise over stand-by any day.