"Work as Directed" and Production Standards

Johney

I most certainly am still filing. I just got my first grievance paycheck. It amounted to $150. Not bad for a little bit of paperwork. Of course, several full-time supervisors are implying that the higher-ups will find a way to fire me if I keep filing grievances. I just ignore them. Like I have stated before, I knew this was a dangerous game when I started playing it. If I wanted their advice, I would ask for it.
Don't worry about getting fired. I know a couple guys in my building who get a lot of grievance money and have been for a while their still here. Just do your job you'll be fine. Sometimes I think it's cheaper for them to pay the grievance and have a sup work than to hire someone else. Just my thought.

turdburglar

Don't worry about getting fired. I know a couple guys in my building who get a lot of grievance money and have been for a while their still here. Just do your job you'll be fine. Sometimes I think it's cheaper for them to pay the grievance and have a sup work than to hire someone else. Just my thought.
I actually talked to the preload manager in my building about my grievances (he requested to talk to me, in fact). He said that it is not actually profitable for them to have supervisors work. I do not know if he is speaking the truth, but so far I have no reason to distrust him. As far as I can tell, however, it is cheaper for them to just have supervisors work than to have someone hired, kept for 30 days, and then be stuck with them. If my preload manager is telling the truth about profitability, then I believe that even if it is not profitable to have supervisors work rather than bargaining unit employees, then it is still not profitable to be paying part-time supervisors about $15 an hour to do the same old paperwork over and over and "supervise". Instead, they make them more useful and get some work out of them so that they are losing less money to paying part-time supervisors.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
nahhh, you might as well start putting in applications elsewhere,, EVERYONE HERE knows partimers that cause this much trouble have no future at ups,,,keep pretending you will make a difference..........those games your playing will work if your full time,, but you wont ever get there

turdburglar

nahhh, you might as well start putting in applications elsewhere,, EVERYONE HERE knows partimers that cause this much trouble have no future at ups,,,keep pretending you will make a difference..........those games your playing will work if your full time,, but you wont ever get there
I actually am not planning on making UPS a career. I am working there while I am going to school. Again, I knew this was a dangerous game. I will see for myself what happens.

Returntosender

Finish school. This job is not for everyone. Lots of games being played by management(politics). Just found out one of the sups is being set up to fail.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I most certainly am still filing. I just got my first grievance paycheck. It amounted to $150. Not bad for a little bit of paperwork. Of course, several full-time supervisors are implying that the higher-ups will find a way to fire me if I keep filing grievances. I just ignore them. Like I have stated before, I knew this was a dangerous game when I started playing it. If I wanted their advice, I would ask for it.

Let them imply anything they want to. As a part timer pretty much all you have to do is come to work, be on time and don't steal anything and you'll be safe

turdburglar

Let them imply anything they want to. As a part timer pretty much all you have to do is come to work, be on time and don't steal anything and you'll be safe
It is funny, since one of the full-time supervisors that absolutely hated me before is now acting like my friend and giving me "advice" on how I should not continue filing grievances if I want to keep my job. It makes me feel like the supervisors have been told that whoever convinces me to stop filing will get a bonus for it. Supervisors are always stopping me when they see my grievances in hand while I am walking to the steward's office, and telling me how it is not a good idea to keep filing grievances. I just nod and keep walking.

Justaname

It is funny, since one of the full-time supervisors that absolutely hated me before is now acting like my friend and giving me "advice" on how I should not continue filing grievances if I want to keep my job. It makes me feel like the supervisors have been told that whoever convinces me to stop filing will get a bonus for it. Supervisors are always stopping me when they see my grievances in hand while I am walking to the steward's office, and telling me how it is not a good idea to keep filing grievances. I just nod and keep walking.
It's a shame you don't plan on staying with ups, we need more stand up people like you on the hourly side.

turdburglar

It's a shame you don't plan on staying with ups, we need more stand up people like you on the hourly side.
What we really need at UPS is stand-up people on the management side. But I figure that stand-up people would not last long in management.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Every grievance you file gives you a little more insulation from frivolous discipline.
Whenever one of these "friendly supervisors" makes a backhanded comment about your grievances, stop, pull out a small notebook and write it down as you glance at your watch or cellphone clock.
I guarantee you will not here another word.
If they persist, file harassment grievances and labor charges.
You are doing great, stay the course!!!

turdburglar

Every grievance you file gives you a little more insulation from frivolous discipline.
Whenever one of these "friendly supervisors" makes a backhanded comment about your grievances, stop, pull out a small notebook and write it down as you glance at your watch or cellphone clock.
I guarantee you will not here another word.
If they persist, file harassment grievances and labor charges.
You are doing great, stay the course!!!
I am trying to file on any supervisors I see working, but I feel that it will become harder from now on. The problem is that on the belt that I work, the part-time supervisor actually pulled a new hire in front of me to help me clean up while the part-time supervisor also worked. He was sarcastically saying that he was "training" the new hire, while telling the new hire about how to make stacks and sort packages (as if these things need training). This occurred for about the last hour of the sort. I do not know if I will be able to win that particular supervisors working grievance. I feel that they will just make sure to have a new hire wherever they are working so that they can claim that it is "training". Should I just file on it anyways and tell the steward about the situation?

Even if they continue with their underhanded tactics on my belt, I still have my witnesses on two other belts that I will continue to file on behalf of, so the grievances will keep rolling in regardless of what happens on my belt.

I will also file labor charges for the "friendly" supervisors next time they confront me about my grievances.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am trying to file on any supervisors I see working, but I feel that it will become harder from now on. The problem is that on the belt that I work, the part-time supervisor actually pulled a new hire in front of me to help me clean up while the part-time supervisor also worked. He was sarcastically saying that he was "training" the new hire, while telling the new hire about how to make stacks and sort packages (as if these things need training). This occurred for about the last hour of the sort. I do not know if I will be able to win that particular supervisors working grievance. I feel that they will just make sure to have a new hire wherever they are working so that they can claim that it is "training". Should I just file on it anyways and tell the steward about the situation?

Even if they continue with their underhanded tactics on my belt, I still have my witnesses on two other belts that I will continue to file on behalf of, so the grievances will keep rolling in regardless of what happens on my belt.

I will also file labor charges for the "friendly" supervisors next time they confront me about my grievances.

That's the idea.
In the past they were probably sending the new hires home.
Your grievances are like their warning letters, designed to correct behavior.
It's working, keep it up.

P.S. The mundane tasks that you have outlined are going to be hard for management to justify as an hour long block of "training" day after day. They won't have enough new hires to perpetuate that system. Keep filing.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
turd,good luck if you think you are gonna change anything.
If they get sick of your grievances,they will just fire you.
They can call it what they want,usually,it's failure to follow instructions.
I think even if you took them to court,you may get time lost,but they
would be happy to get rid of a troublemaker like you.
Insecurity (Season 16, Episode 10) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

He's already changing things.
They won't fire him unless he does something stupid.
Your argument is a cowards anthem.
I have filed hundreds of grievances and am both respected and resented by management.
They have yet to make a move on me.
Taking issue with Turd now is transparent as harassment in the wake of multiple grievances.
If he stays the course and does it right, he will be fine and his wallet will be fuller.

He's already changing things.
They won't fire him unless he does something stupid.
Your argument is a cowards anthem.
I have filed hundreds of grievances and am both respected and resented by management.
They have yet to make a move on me.
Taking issue with Turd now is transparent as harassment in the wake of multiple grievances.
If he stays the course and does it right, he will be fine and his wallet will be fuller.
i know this man and can vouch for his statement. He is a bad motherfuc**r. I've only seen one man like him. This man was crazier but Bubblehead is smarter. The man has filed easily a thousand grievences.

turdburglar

turd,good luck if you think you are gonna change anything.
If they get sick of your grievances,they will just fire you.
They can call it what they want,usually,it's failure to follow instructions.
I think even if you took them to court,you may get time lost,but they
would be happy to get rid of a troublemaker like you.
Insecurity (Season 16, Episode 10) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
Failure to follow instructions? That is why I am following their instructions, no matter how ridiculous they are. For example, how useless do you figure writing "RDR" on every RDR package in an obvious bulk stop is? How much of a waste of time is it to write "RDR" on all 50 or so packages of a bulk stop when they are going in at the end of the day? How about circling every one of those route IDs, knowing they are all going to the same place? How ridiculous is it to write the HIN number on envelopes when it is not possible to face envelopes with their HIN numbers facing out? How stupid does it look when I am writing the HIN number on tubes that are probably going to roll over to where the driver cannot see the HIN number I wrote anyways? Most importantly, how useful is it for production to enforce methods to reduce misloads on a loader who has a reputation for not ever having misloads? I am following all of their methods, like I said, to a "T". The only "instruction" that I am failing to follow is to load 240 packages per hour. And that is not due to insubordination, it is due to the fact that I simply cannot, even though I am working at a fairly fast pace.

We will see if they can fire me for not making their production numbers. Until then, the grievances will continue.

Failure to follow instructions? That is why I am following their instructions, no matter how ridiculous they are. For example, how useless do you figure writing "RDR" on every RDR package in an obvious bulk stop is? How much of a waste of time is it to write "RDR" on all 50 or so packages of a bulk stop when they are going in at the end of the day? How about circling every one of those route IDs, knowing they are all going to the same place? How ridiculous is it to write the HIN number on envelopes when it is not possible to face envelopes with their HIN numbers facing out? How stupid does it look when I am writing the HIN number on tubes that are probably going to roll over to where the driver cannot see the HIN number I wrote anyways? Most importantly, how useful is it for production to enforce methods to reduce misloads on a loader who has a reputation for not ever having misloads? I am following all of their methods, like I said, to a "T". The only "instruction" that I am failing to follow is to load 240 packages per hour. And that is not due to insubordination, it is due to the fact that I simply cannot, even though I am working at a fairly fast pace.

We will see if they can fire me for not making their production numbers. Until then, the grievances will continue.
With a name like turd burglar you have to be badass. I made this post using my voice on the iPhone five yeah