"Work as Directed" and Production Standards

turdburglar

With a name like turd burglar you have to be badass. I made this post using my voice on the iPhone five yeah
You know I burglarize those turds all day!

When it comes down to it, there is only one thing that could be out of my control, and that is coming to work on time. If something completely unexpected, like a flat tire, occurs, I could be in trouble. I make sure that I wake up with at least 15 minutes on hand when I get to work, though. But otherwise, the only other thing that I can see management attempting is getting me pissed off (they appear to have gotten off my back about the methods and production for now). Being yelled at by this full-time supervisor that I have is annoying because of her voice, but the content of the yelling just makes me smile. It is hard to get angry with all things taken into consideration. They will have to push some serious buttons (buttons that I may not have, as far as I can tell) to get me to do something stupid out of anger.

DS

Fenderbender
Burgler,what are you majoring in at school,
Law? I still say they can fire you for any reason,
or no reason if they want to.You'll see.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It is funny, since one of the full-time supervisors that absolutely hated me before is now acting like my friend and giving me "advice" on how I should not continue filing grievances if I want to keep my job. It makes me feel like the supervisors have been told that whoever convinces me to stop filing will get a bonus for it. Supervisors are always stopping me when they see my grievances in hand while I am walking to the steward's office, and telling me how it is not a good idea to keep filing grievances. I just nod and keep walking.

What's funny is all they need to do is hire a few extra people or even just give the preload a reasonable amount of time to finish their work and you wouldn't have to file.

turdburglar

I had my suspicions that they would find a way to fire me if they really wanted me gone. Look up my thread from around 4-5 months ago, titled "Retaliation for Supervisors Working Grievances". I had my suspicions then, and I have them now. I will try my best to keep from screwing up. Beyond that, there is nothing I can do (other than stop filing grievances, which may or may not do anything at this point, because I have already gotten more than a couple of higher-ups' panties in a bunch). So I will continue filing grievances, knowing what could happen. Like I said, I am not planning on making UPS my career.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Burgler, are you majoring in labor law?
There may be a future for you in Union office.
You have a huge pair and are doing your coworkers a huge service.
Stay the course and document everything and you will be fine.
Remember, you can't claim harassment after they fire you.
So grieve and file with NLRB when it happens.

turdburglar

I think turd needs to worry less about grievances and more about doing his job.
Why do you say this? You sound just like my full-time supervisor. She said that I should not have so much time to be filing grievances. I simply told her that it is not hard to watch a supervisor and work at the same time. I take pride in my work, and make sure I have no misloads, that everything is in stop-for-stop order, etc. I do my job just fine.

turdburglar

Burgler, are you majoring in labor law?
There may be a future for you in Union office.
You have a huge pair and are doing your coworkers a huge service.
Stay the course and document everything and you will be fine.
Remember, you can't claim harassment after they fire you.
So grieve and file with NLRB when it happens.
Interestingly enough, I am looking at law school after finishing my undergraduate degree (law school is not an undergraduate major, but a kind of graduate degree). After my experience with UPS, I may actually look into studying labor law now.

turdburglar

More than two thought it.
Eh? I see DS and Bubblehead mentioning something about law, but nothing else. I guess someone might have guessed it without posting it, but how? Other than the possibility that some of the posters here work in the building I work at....

turdburglar

They said it out loud. You should definitely further your education. You have a brain. :hapydancsmil: use it. I mean that with the utmost respect.
Why, thank you very much. I most certainly will further my education. It is funny, because I only signed up to work at UPS because I heard that they had a tuition reimbursement program. When I asked HR about it years ago, they said it was only for management employees. I was not interested in becoming a part-time supervisor, and seeing how most people seem to "change" when they become management, I am definitely not interested in it now. Hopefully I will be able to change things for the better with my education, using the knowledge of whatever field I end up choosing.