Work Ethic of New Drivers

MethodsMan

go superman, please don't get hurt and remember these words you speak!!!! one day.....

Superman? You've been drinking too much of the jaded old guy kool-aid.

This is business for me, its my job. I understand that OT pays more. You'll never catch me skipping a lunch or not taking my 25 minutes in breaks a day.

In the same token, I'm not gonna be a snail and tit the clock every day like you probably do.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Do the, Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around??
3170089eec435e9b48ef2740601bca9d.jpg

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Way to lump in a whole generation. I'm in my mid-20's, have an attendance record similar to Cal Ripkin, have been the company 8 years. Injury and accident free in all 8 of those years.

If I feel like hustling and bustling (which is rare these days) I can out produce 2 of you mid-50's old farts.

Continue on with the 'my generation has better work ethic than yours' rubbish. I'm sure your parents were saying the same thing about you. Rinse and repeat.

srcstc.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Update-----"Shoulder man" was not at work yesterday and from what I have been told will not be back until he is cleared by his doctor. "Sick driver" was not at work yesterday and I have not heard what his status is. Another casual, who had been out of work for a week or so with a "bad back" was supposed to be at work on Monday but had stepped on a nail at home over the weekend so will probably be out for the rest of the week. Meanwhile all scheduled days off have been cancelled for at least the remainder of the week as we are severely short-staffed.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Ha,ha.
Entitled?
It took me 21yrs to call in sick.
I earned the right to be included into the Circle of Honor.
If one does not have a strong work ethic, time will weed out the weak.
Sadly, UPS's current use of technology is for the benefit of micro-management, not building a strong workforce.
In my 28yrs, it was the union that protected the weak.
I bless my lucky stars the UPS "made me":peaceful:work an average of 10.5hrs a day for the last 5yrs.
Saved my money and retired 4 days ago.
Young drivers are on their own, but they better pay their union dues.:wink-very:

I bet no one wants your route. Our satellites were cancelled.

Johney

This is how I see it. And of course its just my opinion. There are real reasons to call off. If you are projectile vomiting and projectile other things, you should call off.

If the weather sucks, you should go to work, but if its snow up to your earballs, I think the seniority drivers should get first dibs if someone goes home, but in my experience, the veterans come in, the newbies cant get out of their driveways.

I think it is called work ethic, which I have, and proudly admit. And I had it before I was an employee here. I worked a full day when I fell back in the 90s on ice. When injuries werent what they are now. It hurt bad, but I worked through it. Ended up having a broken ankle and broken coccyx: laymans terms tailbone. I thought it just was sore.

If your child has to go to a pediatrician for a shot or a cold, you should not call off
. Unless you are a single parent, then if you have no help, you should call off, family first. If your child has a serious illness, you should call off.

If your wife has to go for a ob/gyn appt, you do not need to go. Go to work. If your husband has a prostrate exam, you should go to work. Hes a big boy, he will be fine. If your wife or husband has cancer, you should call off, go with them.

If your knee/shoulder/butt hurts, you should go to work. Usually if it is soreness laying around the crib makes it worse.

Our company is what it is because employees take it seriously, it is an important job. Yes UPS will survive if you are not there, but your job cannot be done by a monkey, unless the monkey has some training. There are only so many people on the roster. Dont be the one everyone hates because you are a wimp and dont belong in our circle!
While I agree with 99% of what you say I have to disagree with what I highlighted. I'm not a single parent but why should my wife always be responsible for our kids Dr. trips or staying home if they are ill(not a serious illness)? Is her job not as important as mine? Does her employer have to get jacked because her husband works for big and mighty UPS? They are our kids and both employers must share the burden of us missing time due to our kids. When they are ill we take turns missing days. Although there aren't many but we do share time off as not to burden her or my bosses. Just saying.

PT Car Washer

When our children were growing up other parents would comment to my wife about how hard it is to be a single parent. I always thought the paycheck was more important.

Update-----"Shoulder man" was not at work yesterday and from what I have been told will not be back until he is cleared by his doctor. "Sick driver" was not at work yesterday and I have not heard what his status is. Another casual, who had been out of work for a week or so with a "bad back" was supposed to be at work on Monday but had stepped on a nail at home over the weekend so will probably be out for the rest of the week. Meanwhile all scheduled days off have been cancelled for at least the remainder of the week as we are severely short-staffed.

You really need to go feeder. We only get this sewing circle quality of gossip on the FNN.

rod

Retired 22 years
You really need to go feeder. We only get this sewing circle quality of gossip on the FNN.

I'm sure Upstate has made copies of his report and made them available to all the management at his center. Wouldn't it be just a joy to work with him?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Immgirants? We don't have any of those in my building...except the guys manning the guard shack....most of them barely speak English.
and how does your blanket statement apply to the drivers...do you sit in the jumpseat on their routes and watch them work? How can YOU possibly know which drivers work harder than others? You load trailers...when do even see a package driver except when they're hauling :censored2: out of the building at night? You ain't even know jack. And my wonderful 804 brother.....how come you have had NOTHING to say regarding the 804 walkout last week? I find that.....very strange. Your building's closer to Maspeth than mine....

I've talked about it with few co-workers. It's something sad to talk about, I didn't feel like talking about it.