workhorse P700

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
If given a choice I would rather drive the freightliner 7 over the workhorse.
now the new workhorse 10 rides nice even though the turning radius sucks

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Guys from the shop said the frames were falling apart too. How can they build such junk?

outta hours

The leaf springs on the workhorse P7 break all the time. Bad design. They are switching to all Frieghtliner P7 chassis in my area.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The frieghtliner p7 is a tank. Weighs a few hundred pounds more than the workhorses. Much better in the snow. Turning radius is much tighter. The wiring harnesses are wearing thru on the workhorses. District wide. Grounding themselves out. Our mechanic is saying gonna cost thousands.

OptimusPrime

Diesel engine (reman) $10k Gas engine(reman) less than $2k w/o acessories
Diesel engine life 200K (if you can keep it running long enough to rack this up) Gas engine life 150-200K
Diesel engine weight 1000 lbs Gas engine weight 500 lbs
Diesel engine practicality w/emissions UPS purposes low- Urea injection, DPFs that clog up without regen process no driver will have time to perform + expensive removal and equipment to cook them clean, sheer complexity of parts and systems, etc.
Gas engine practicality- Start, go, repace usual wear items, no emission concerns currently
Diesel oil change interval about 10k 20 quarts @ $3 a quart Gas interval about the same with 6 quarts
+ no delay in starting time for glow plugs to work

NO CONTEST

Just install Ford straight six 300's. 4.9L, damn near bullet proof.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We don't have any reprocessed 57's. I remember when the first one came into Spokane...that thing was a turd. I can see why they're being converted. The new p5's have 512 as the first 3 digits with the 6.0. The p5's with the 4.8 have 511 as the first three. Just my experience with em...and I drive em all at some point during the day when I'm parking. The mechanics love to chat em up...well...mostly bitch...but you can see why.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We don't have any reprocessed 57's. I remember when the first one came into Spokane...that thing was a turd. I can see why they're being converted. The new p5's have 512 as the first 3 digits with the 6.0. The p5's with the 4.8 have 511 as the first three. Just my experience with em...and I drive em all at some point during the day when I'm parking. The mechanics love to chat em up...well...mostly bitch...but you can see why.

Yes I do. The springs do break all the time and the wiring harnesses chafe everwhere. Axle shaft bolts shear off, spring hangers come loose at the left front, weak transmissions, body distortion and breakage, endless ABS faults, stuck brake calipers,etc. Still better than the latest IHC equipped vehicles...lots..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Actually, not a Workhorse. That's the old Transtar/International with the 444. I had 654202 for a number of years (got it new) and it's still on the road.

Good trucks. I put 100k on #654572, that was years ago, it had 250K on it when they took it away from me and its still going strong. I saw it last summer over on the coast in Tillamook. I wish I had it back, it was gutless but it had the lowest step of any model in the fleet and it did better in the snow and mud than the newer ones.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Was really weird. I was driving on the highway and the engine dummy light came on and the truck slowed down like i took my foot off the gas. Pushing the gas pedal did nothing but it didnt stall. I coasted into the breakdown lane and tried to drive. It wouldnt go above 20mph or 2k rpm. Temp was fine no smoke or leaking fluids. I restarted and same thing...and engine light stayed on. I shut it down for like 15 to 20 more minutes... drove backwards and forwards and then tried to drive again... my power was back so i drove to my area and it ran fine. Called the shop and mechanic said to reset the soft code on the check engine light and keep running it and to write it up on the dvir. No clue what the hell happened but hope its not red tagged when I come in tomorrow.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Was really weird. I was driving on the highway and the engine dummy light came on and the truck slowed down like i took my foot off the gas. Pushing the gas pedal did nothing but it didnt stall. I coasted into the breakdown lane and tried to drive. It wouldnt go above 20mph or 2k rpm. Temp was fine no smoke or leaking fluids. I restarted and same thing...and engine light stayed on. I shut it down for like 15 to 20 more minutes... drove backwards and forwards and then tried to drive again... my power was back so i drove to my area and it ran fine. Called the shop and mechanic said to reset the soft code on the check engine light and keep running it and to write it up on the dvir. No clue what the hell happened but hope its not red tagged when I come in tomorrow.

Sounds like a pedal failure. No messages on the dash about limited power? An easy fix if it is.

oldngray

nowhere special

I had similar problems when we changed to keyless system. I think it was a loose connection or something similar, because if I used old ignition key the engine would run, but the keyless gradually cut power like that. It happened to me several times.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
No way man...the trucks with the lowest step I can remember where the 651's and 652's. I don't know who manufactured them, but you can turn the steering wheel with your pinky. And the step is maybe 7 inches off the ground. They were far more gutless than the 654's but when UPS went to take them away the drivers threw fits...untill they got auto 659's that is...

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had similar problems when we changed to keyless system. I think it was a loose connection or something similar, because if I used old ignition key the engine would run, but the keyless gradually cut power like that. It happened to me several times.

The keyless system would not trigger an engine fault light.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
:sad-little:
No way man...the trucks with the lowest step I can remember where the 651's and 652's. I don't know who manufactured them, but you can turn the steering wheel with your pinky. And the step is maybe 7 inches off the ground. They were far more gutless than the 654's but when UPS went to take them away the drivers threw fits...untill they got auto 659's that is...

Those were made by Freightliner and the step was so low because the springs were way too weak. Even brand new springs go into a negative arch as soon as they are loaded. The steering was also a problem because of being overboosted. Box power had to be cut way back because they were tearing themselve apart when up against the stops. They were gutless because they were geared way too tall. That's why the drivelines get snapped so often, clutches burn up, and they are able to go 85.

I'm glad I've only got 2 of these left to deal with.