workhorse P700

Z

ZQXC

Question to Brownwrench: How bad does a truck have to be before they crush it? What factors tip the scales?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Once the vehicle is placed in a expense monitoring phase. If anticipated repair and maintenance expenses exceed a certain dollar amount within a 1 month period, the plug is pulled.

Z

ZQXC

Once the vehicle is placed in a expense monitoring phase. If anticipated repair and maintenance expenses exceed a certain dollar amount within a 1 month period, the plug is pulled.

Does it automatically get placed into the expense monitoring phase at a certain age?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For the record I was only kidding, I would never suggest intentionally damaging UPS equipment. That doesnt mean you cant pray for it to die though, or rejoice and be thankful when it finally does.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
A p500 with a diesel? One of the newish ones? All of ours had GM motors...4.7 and 6.0. Even the old ones had gm 4.3 VORTECs in them. Huh...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
One of the old GMC Iron Maidens with manual steering? If you want it off your route, a little sugar in the gas tank will solve your problem for good...
Yup that's the truck.
Sup claims I will have a new truck by year end but his mouth was moving so he was lying. That being said I have the least crappy I've ever driven of the old 800s. Manual steering but you don't have to fight it as hard as most and the clutch/gas pedals aren't super hard to push in like the others left in my center. I'm sucking it up for now.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yup that's the truck.
Sup claims I will have a new truck by year end but his mouth was moving so he was lying. That being said I have the least crappy I've ever driven of the old 800s. Manual steering but you don't have to fight it as hard as most and the clutch/gas pedals aren't super hard to push in like the others left in my center. I'm sucking it up for now.
Start writing it up for every little nitpicky thing you can think of. Its already on "ADA" status, meaning if the repair bill for anything reaches a certain point they will just take it out of service and crush it. At this point they are just trying to squeeze a few more months of use out of it, at the expense of YOUR knees and shoulders and arms. Dont make it easy for them.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I remember when the old 800s were the best in the fleet. I also remember when the old 1000s came out. They seemed absolutely enormous.

degill7994

They sent all of our diesel p52 to be redone with the gas engines. It seems that when they refitted the trucks the turning radius increased. I remember when we first got them they would turn so sharp that the steering wheel would kick back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Start writing it up for every little nitpicky thing you can think of. Its already on "ADA" status, meaning if the repair bill for anything reaches a certain point they will just take it out of service and crush it. At this point they are just trying to squeeze a few more months of use out of it, at the expense of YOUR knees and shoulders and arms. Dont make it easy for them.
The problem is...if they did take it out of service they would just give me a worse dinosaur 800 because I'm too heavy for a 700 on this route and we don't have any spare new 800x in my center that aren't already assigned. If I have to drive one of these dinosaurs I want it to be this one.

The problem is...if they did take it out of service they would just give me a worse dinosaur 800 because I'm too heavy for a 700 on this route and we don't have any spare new 800x in my center that aren't already assigned. If I have to drive one of these dinosaurs I want it to be this one.
I agree with you. We have two of the old 8's left. The widow maker and the one that is not that bad. Check the oil and consider yourself lucky the car wash does not switch cars on you.