Working during vacation. How common is this?

MattM

Long story short, my air gateway building has air shuttle runs. We have 5-6 routes and 10-11 qualified drivers. We consistently have the 14-20 year vets showing up to work on their vacation week(s). A few new cover drivers never get to drive. Is this a union issue (SW), or a company wide issue? How can payroll code work hours if they are already using an option day or vacation?

542thruNthru

Long story short, my air gateway building has air shuttle runs. We have 5-6 routes and 10-11 qualified drivers. We consistently have the 14-20 year vets showing up to work on their vacation week(s). A few new cover drivers never get to drive. Is this a union issue (SW), or a company wide issue? How can payroll code work hours if they are already using an option day or vacation?
Southwest package rider
sketch-1619760558930.jpg

nWo

Fairly common here. If you are laid off because someone is working when they are scheduled for vacation you should probably file.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Every once in a blue moon. It is discouraged but we don't care much if it happens anyways.
Should not be happening in the middle of April/May. This is the slow part of the season. I can only assume we will be in another hiring glut in a month or two.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hey I would file on them for allowing it
I have and it worked. I am in Central, if someone wants to work their vacation, they go to the bottom of the cover list. At the time, I was the #1 cover guy and wanted to work the route of the guy that wanted to work his vacation. I called our union guy and he took it from there. I worked the route, the guy on vacation covered something else for 2 days and relaxed the rest of his vacation.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have and it worked. I am in Central, if someone wants to work their vacation, they go to the bottom of the cover list. At the time, I was the #1 cover guy and wanted to work the route of the guy that wanted to work his vacation. I called our union guy and he took it from there. I worked the route, the guy on vacation covered something else for 2 days and relaxed the rest of his vacation.
If we tried that here the losers that work during their SCHEDULED vacations would whine about that not being in the contract. All while simultaneously demanding that they should be allowed to violate the contract by working doing their vacations. HA!

PT Car Washer

Here you can work your vacations and cover your own route if you do, but no working if you're not needed.
Same in my building. I can understand someone a bit down on their luck (gambling?) needing to work a vacation or two but a FT with over 20 years? Of course with some, work is the only thing they have left. Sad.

barnyard

KTM rider
If we tried that here the losers that work during their SCHEDULED vacations would whine about that not being in the contract. All while simultaneously demanding that they should be allowed to violate the contract by working doing their vacations. HA!
I thought our business agent handled it very well. "You have no rights to work during your vacation. If you want to work, you are the lowest seniority person on the cover list."

If a person wants to work their vacation, the easiest way around it is to not bid a vacation. At the end of the year, you get vacation checks for any unused vacation. The guys that work their vacations typically pick prime weeks. It sucks that someone could have bid that week if not for those goobers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Same in my building. I can understand someone a bit down on their luck (gambling?) needing to work a vacation or two but a FT with over 20 years? Of course with some, work is the only thing they have left. Sad.
I thought our business agent handled it very well. "You have no rights to work during your vacation. If you want to work, you are the lowest seniority person on the cover list."

If a person wants to work their vacation, the easiest way around it is to not bid a vacation. At the end of the year, you get vacation checks for any unused vacation. The guys that work their vacations typically pick prime weeks. It sucks that someone could have bid that week if not for those goobers.
Our contract supplement is crystal clear on the matter. Anyone wishing to opt out of taking vacations must select the sell back option in September when the option selection forms are filled out. We would always hear the same tired excuse though. Whining about being taxed too much when selling them.

I think it’s pathetic when drivers are pleading with management to let them work a couple of days during a vacation to “get paid back for their airline tickets.” Or other similar nonsense. I’m guessing that if they are really needing to do that then they probably shouldn’t be booking those vacations in the first place?

DriverNerd

I would like to see that contract language.
Yup, they just use past practice. I've been asked multiple times over the years to work my vacations. Most of our drivers that work during their vacations come in two or three days. I don't work my vacation, so I don't worry about it. And yes, I agree with the "taking a week another person would have liked to have" argument.