Working preload with the new system.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How is this even possible? You have to unload and sort it before it gets to the loader?

That plus the fact that loaders with stacked out trucks and having to stop the belt constantly slows down the sort and the unload also
a good unload/sort should be processing around 1000 pieces an hour, your average load pph goal is around 200

generally between these two, the load will perform well even with all the stack outs, while the unload/sort may not

if there is a package crush down the belts, or they have a lot of stack outs, it's because the unload is running too hot

when IE does an MSD for a preload we identify the optimal process rate, sort span, and staffing for the loaders to keep up without being crushed

the problem is most preload managers try to run their operation like a hub, smashing it out in the unload and just clean up on the load, this really just :censored2:s them over but it's nearly impossible to convince a preload manager otherwise

tl;dr is IE loves loaders, want more of them for good load quality , but like 99% of preload managers have a ":censored2: the load" mentality

Box Ox

a good unload/sort should be processing around 1000 pieces an hour, your average load pph goal is around 200

generally between these two, the load will perform well even with all the stack outs, while the unload/sort may not

if there is a package crush down the belts, or they have a lot of stack outs, it's because the unload is running too hot

when IE does an MSD for a preload we identify the optimal process rate, sort span, and staffing for the loaders to keep up without being crushed

the problem is most preload managers try to run their operation like a hub, smashing it out in the unload and just clean up on the load, this really just :censored2:s them over but it's nearly impossible to convince a preload manager otherwise

tl;dr is IE loves loaders, want more of them for good load quality , but like 99% of preload managers have a ":censored2: the load" mentality

Anything IE could potentially do to keep preload managers calm and execute the IE plan as envisioned?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Anything IE could potentially do to keep preload managers calm and execute the IE plan as envisioned?
that's the struggle

depends on the individual really, some people just need a lot of math and pretty graphs thrown at them, others need their DM to yell at them, and even more will simply never listen to you

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
its amazing how few people actually look at a bigger picture of things and realize the progress of a package from point A to point B is all one big never ending chain reaction that just never runs smooth because there are way to many changing variables, maybe to much technology and impossible to meet time allowances. i like to call it controlled chaos but it seems to work adequately enough so that the packages get to point B and the stock keeps going up. customer service on the delivery end and low level employee moral (management included) are very small blips on corporate radar

PT Car Washer

This explains a lot about our current preload manager who came from a Hub sort. Get the packages out of the trailers as fast as possible and loaded on a brown package car. Let the drivers worry about load quality or misloads. That what they get paid to do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This explains a lot about our current preload manager who came from a Hub sort. Get the packages out of the trailers as fast as possible and loaded on a brown package car. Let the drivers worry about load quality or misloads. That what they get paid to do.
That's virtually every preload manager I've seen the last decade or so.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Is this smartscan system going into every preload or just big centers?
It's been in our small center for about a month. First couple of weeks was an absolute :censored3:show. Didn't seem to make a dent in misloads. I covered a route for a couple of days, and had the same misload two days in a row even though I was in two different package cars.

Now the misloads are almost nonexistent, but preload can't wrap up so we're left to finish loading while the loaders run around trying to get their stupid scans. The end of the belt is a pile of packages reminiscent of peak. Actual peak should be fun.

I know it's just a number but it irks me that the last 60 to 90 minutes loading other people's stackouts are making me look slower on paper. So numbers-wise they don't see 200pph, they see 160.

But I'm always asked to stay and help and am usually the last guy out so at least they see that. The last minute 200 bulk stops that I get an hour for don't make it on my reports either. It's nothing to be fussy about but enough that, since they judge by numbers, they should take these into account.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I know it's just a number but it irks me that the last 60 to 90 minutes loading other people's stackouts are making me look slower on paper. So numbers-wise they don't see 200pph, they see 160.

But I'm always asked to stay and help and am usually the last guy out so at least they see that. The last minute 200 bulk stops that I get an hour for don't make it on my reports either. It's nothing to be fussy about but enough that, since they judge by numbers, they should take these into account.
The only number you should be concerned about is a number that shows up on your paycheck every Friday. You sticking around at the end to help out makes that number bigger. Let them worry about their numbers.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

there really is no use fussing loaders over PPH; the PPH is set to whatever lineup is in the MSD, which is certainly not what they're using every day and in addition it changes constantly

when you change that many variables, you can't take exact PPH seriously, it's better just to rely on observations

the rest of the building is different

GenericUsername

Our preload manager just stepped down to be an on-road...We're all pretty certain it was step down or you're out kind of situation. Before that happened, our full-time preload sup went to be an on-road... The manager had the tendency to push the unload hard, force the irregs down the belt and say friend the belts... then wonder why things didn't work properly. His vacations were the best weeks. 2 days now that he's gone and we were wrapped within 5 minutes of start time. It's really the old mentality that needs to go and have some people come in with open minds and understand how the new world works.

PT Car Washer

Our preload manager just stepped down to be an on-road...We're all pretty certain it was step down or you're out kind of situation. Before that happened, our full-time preload sup went to be an on-road... The manager had the tendency to push the unload hard, force the irregs down the belt and say friend the belts... then wonder why things didn't work properly. His vacations were the best weeks. 2 days now that he's gone and we were wrapped within 5 minutes of start time. It's really the old mentality that needs to go and have some people come in with open minds and understand how the new world works.
Sounds like my buildings preload except our manager is still here. Perhaps I should forward this idea to our Division Manager.

GenericUsername

I just find it outrageous that some of these guys refuse to change their ways and keep up with the times. I love showing up to work at 8:30 (8:50 start) and seeing unload people walk out while the belts are absolutely jammed pack and there's no way to get to your PC. Just the other day there were a few senior drivers giving our (now previous) preload manager crap and telling him that they could do his job better than him...

I sense better times are on the horizon... or so I hope.

dudebro

In a case like that the package DM needs to realize that paying the preloaders AND the drivers time and a half (they're going over 8 on road, so extra time in the building is OT even if it's not happening yet) is blowing a huge hole in the DM's cost statement. The smart DM in that case will take a hit for preload PPH and get his/her $70/hour employees (fully loaded wage rate) on the road on time.

The solution is for that DM to understand the operation and force the preload manager to back up the start time to a time they can finish. IE is simply used as a guideline in this case (do the numbers back up what I'm seeing here?).

Then the preload manager needs to run a balanced operation. Running the primary overstaffed and increasing the load area flows works to a point - it takes up the utilization of the loaders. But more of this isn't better. If you blow away the load areas and force everyone to stack (or blow the pieces by and have them fall off the end of the belt) means your loaders will now handle everything twice - and PPH drops to where that manager is on a remediation conference call every day.

Believe me, if the manager knows how to run the operation, the employees don't get overwhelmed and PPH fixes itself just through efficiency.