Working preload with the new system.

Box Ox

I sense better times are on the horizon... or so I hope.

860643c0a0651a66d7fa43d4883bde76--pig-art-flying-pig.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In a case like that the package DM needs to realize that paying the preloaders AND the drivers time and a half (they're going over 8 on road, so extra time in the building is OT even if it's not happening yet) is blowing a huge hole in the DM's cost statement. The smart DM in that case will take a hit for preload PPH and get his/her $70/hour employees (fully loaded wage rate) on the road on time.

The solution is for that DM to understand the operation and force the preload manager to back up the start time to a time they can finish. IE is simply used as a guideline in this case (do the numbers back up what I'm seeing here?).

Then the preload manager needs to run a balanced operation. Running the primary overstaffed and increasing the load area flows works to a point - it takes up the utilization of the loaders. But more of this isn't better. If you blow away the load areas and force everyone to stack (or blow the pieces by and have them fall off the end of the belt) means your loaders will now handle everything twice - and PPH drops to where that manager is on a remediation conference call every day.

Believe me, if the manager knows how to run the operation, the employees don't get overwhelmed and PPH fixes itself just through efficiency.

What world do you live in

SMDH!!!

GenericUsername

@Box Ox We have a former ORS who was really awesome who moved to the preload a few months ago to work with dispatch. Not sure what other capacity he's working, but the routes are getting smoother around here. He's doing stuff with preload, but exactly what I don't know. Things are looking better little by little, so pigs flying may not be too far off in the future...

Our preload manager had the tendency to push the unload hard, force the irregs down the belt and say friend the belts... then wonder why things didn't work properly. His vacations were the best weeks. 2 days now that he's gone and we were wrapped within 5 minutes of start time. It's really the old mentality that needs to go and have some people come in with open minds and understand how the new world works.

When ours went on vacation for two weeks it was my best 2 weeks working preload. No stopped belts during unload, fewer leakers, better employee morale and taped boxes and marked 70s, no stack outs everyone got around the same kind of hours and we all left together. Drivers out by 0845 everyone's happy.

His boss hardly knows what goes on during his day, but when he's gone, he can run it better. They should "on road" him.

Over 70

It's the complete opposite at my center. When the FT preload sup is on vacation, it's a :censored2:show. No regulation of flow, barely able to wrap in time, etc.

The higher seniority PT'ers actually find out when he takes his vacation to try to match some of it.