workmans comp

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, I would disagree with the other answers.
You can BUMP onto the new route if your seniority allows when you RETURN from comp.

Of course check. Different locals yada yada yada...

By The Book

Oh you can bid on them there routes....I'm not saying you'll get one. If your contract spells out that you can't bid a route if your on workers comp, that blows. Where did you get hurt at?

over9five

Staff member
tore my shoulder in october , was told i couldn't bid on anything when on comp. wondered if any other local grieved it and won.

We can't either. When we go on comp, our route has to be posted within 30 days. We can't bid while on comp, but we can bump wherever our seniority allows when we return.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We can bid on a job while on comp, but once the bid comes down, the company has 5 days to put the employee on the new job.

If the employee is still on comp after those 5 days, and cannot start the job, he forfeits the bid and it goes to the next senior bidder.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Where I am, you can bid on a route while you are out.

I can't understand why being hurt on the job would block anyone from taking another route?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where I am, you can bid on a route while you are out.

I can't understand why being hurt on the job would block anyone from taking another route?

I think it is stupid also.

The Company has taken the position that the contract says that all bids will be filled in a certain time period. They must be returned to work by their doctor in time to fill the bid time frame. If the employee is unable to fill the bid because he/she is off on injury, they then forfeit the bid.

Grieved and lost. The Union agreed with the Company's position.

Central Region Supplement

Article 3 Section 8

All job bids shall be filled within ten (10) working days after completion
of the bidding process

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, hold back putting the route up.

What if, the company was slow to put the sheet up and the driver could have bid, but then got hurt?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What if, the company was slow to put the sheet up and the driver could have bid, but then got hurt?

Here, the company is never slow to put a bid up. If a job becomes open, for one reason or another, it is always bid in a timely manner.

And if a driver got hurt before bidding on a job, he may be out of luck.

So, hold back putting the route up.

A possibility, but then the Company is playing favorites and possibly setting precedents. It could get ugly down the road.

...or let a cover drive run it until he comes back...

A better possibility, but the Company has taken a stand and the Union has backed them up.

Look, it is what it is. I personally feel that a driver should be able to bid a job while off on injury and, if he wins it, start the job when he returns. Let UPS cover it as they see fit until he returns.

barnyard

KTM rider
Someone on comp signed a bid in my building. His name was crossed off, management said that he was not eligible to work the route and the union agreed.