Worst peak ever?

tieguy

Banned
fdx for one. We had quite a few large shippers come to us for help because fdx could not handle anymore of their business.

tieguy

Banned
Wish it was that easy DS. How do you realistically plan for volume surges of 40 percent or more over last year as we had in some areas. If you have a cyrstal ball that gives you that kind of information patent it and you will be rich.

S

speeddemon

My worst peak in 18 years. Paid day average was about 11.5 to 13.0. We were extremely understaffed. Poor planning.

DS

Fenderbender
It wasn`t 40% everywhere tie, theres no need for a crystal ball to expect last minute online purchases in some locations may exceed the capabilities of that centre to do the job...have car will travel...ask for help .like we have to as drivers.In my eyes tie this is a catastrophe for UPS.The people standing in line for 2 hours to get thier pkgs will use fedex next time and its your fault as mngmt .No excuses

tieguy

Banned
montecarlo12 said:
Tieguy,
Fedex....Express or ground??

Monte therein lies your problem. In my world I integrate both. In your world there is a clear distinction between the two. Your express folks are clearly the elite of your company and judging from a few friends I know that work for them they despise the ground folks almost as much as upsers.

Lands inn. Came to us about two weeks before xmas because fdx could not handle their peak volume. We were more than happy to help them through their crisis. Many large shippers that use fdx ship what fdx can handle for the first week or two of december than they switch everything over to us when they see fdx or dhl or the post office start choking on the volume. We call it turning the switch. We send alerts out as one big shipper after another turns the switch and mobilize drivers and management to accomadate them. Don't doubt its scoring huge points with these shippers when they see how quickly we are able to mobilize.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes. I love to moblize and take volume away from the also rans. But the problem is that when we do this, we have blown any plans that IE had in the first place. And we all know how they like to cut everything to the bone. Then add unexpected volume to the already tightly manned centers and you have what has apeared over and over again throughout the years. Centers that are totally blown away with volume, and not staffed enough to handle it.

It would seem that if managment creates such a problem, then management should solve the problem by being allowed to hire enough drivers and helpers to cover peak. And start the helpers early enough to where they stay the whole time, and learn the process so where they can actually help instead of just run.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Double

As for the center management team asking for help, they, for the most part do. It is the penny crunchers that keep manning so low throughout the year that decide how many drivers, areas and helpers they are allowed. And the local sups are not allowed to variate from the "plan". Period. If they do, they can be expected to either quit or be fired.

So thusly, all hail the plan. It is the word of Mike, and therefore can not be changed or modified. And it is perfect. The only reason the plan has not worked in many places this year is because the lack of courage, commitment, and hard work of the unwashed masses. In some places the Plan worked as planed, drivers in under 8 hours, no missed, 99.98% packages delivered by committed time. So see, the plan does work!

d

danlin

speeddemon said:
My worst peak in 18 years. Paid day average was about 11.5 to 13.0. We were extremely understaffed. Poor planning.
ditto haven't seen anything like this sinc the 80's when I was on a resi route.
I'm on light industrial and they packed the resis apartments and runners on me this year.

DS

Fenderbender
Under 8 ?no missed? maybe in Boondoggle Idaho...every one that posted on this board said they were totally understaffed.under 8 no missed...HA!

Camsdad13

The USPS was holding 3rd class mail for two weeks. We just got nailed today with it. What was funny, today I delivered two packages from an address accross the street on my route. I could throw a rock from the shipper to the reciever. It took 7 days to deliver. Shipped first class.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
double_standard said:
Under 8 ?no missed? maybe in Boondoggle Idaho...every one that posted on this board said they were totally understaffed.under 8 no missed...HA!

That is the one thing I hate about posting, no way to show sarcasm.

Re read the post, add sarcasm, then you will get it.

d

UPSmeoff

This peak was just like every other one......

bust your ass.....

missed pkgs.......

late air.......

angry customers........

not enough hours......

helpers suck.....

rentals are no bueno.....

no plans.....

etc...

etc.....

etc.....

i forget about all this until next november