Would You Be Willing To Back A White Collar Union In Information Services?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
It's too late now, but I suggest that every UPS employee who owns class A shares simply vote "NO" across the board every year for the annual shareholders' meeting. If everyone does this, it will send a strong message to the board, much stronger than any ERI scores every did. Actually, any UPS employee who holds ANY shares should simply vote NO across the board. You should VOTE, since they spend so much time and money pestering you. (Wait til the last minute, just to annoy them) but VOTE NO.

A

an anonymous guest

Aw C'mon TechGrrl, I always liked Toil....I mean Deloitte and Touche, best approvals in the business....

Go UPS!
P71

Unionize? How about if you don't like it, go find another job? I've heard a lot about pay scales, stupid procedures, inconsistent application of 'enterprise' policies, etc. (in all functions)... but the ones who have the skills to be marketable and get what they feel they deserve elsewhere...get up and leave. The ones who stay fall into two categories: (a) complain, but still realize that UPS has more 'value' than a marginal increase going somewhere else (e.g. time of service and vacation accrued, relative security in job, pension etc...I know, those things aren't the same anymore, blah blah blah...); or (b) complain, but stay because s/he knows that they're not worth as much outside the company.

If people feel that strongly about it...then each person should evaluate their true market value and act/decide accordingly.

BlueSP

Unions put a choke hold on a company. Companies are in business to make money. What Americans need to do is stop their frikken whining and start actually caring about the companies we work for. Unions do not do anything but charge dues...let the free market dictate rates of pay and competitive benefits, etc...unions are so great that they negotiate paying loaders $8.50 for back breaking work and non-union call center fat computer geeks who sit on their butts $14.00 and then all the union people complain about how the computer geeks couldnt possibly do as good of a job as the computer geeks they replaced when work was moved from TSG offices to one central location with streamlined procedures, superior tools, and centralized knowledge. If you all could really listen to yourselves, you would realize that you should be grateful that you have a job and even more - you should realize that if unions didnt exist, we'd all be in a better place, why do you think we want FedEx to unionize so much, do you think its because we care about their employees? LMAO, its because the union will strangle FedEx just like it does UPS. Some of you folks need to take Business 101. Unions suck. (Just my opinion.)

ismahchyk

fat computer people sitting around for $14 hr/huh?

Tell me when was the last time that Brown woke your sorry butt up at 0100 for a production problem that lasted for the next 20 hrs - on your weekend of course!!??!!

Or tell me when was the last time that you were expected to work from 0200 to 0530 BOTH days of your weekend on top of your regular work week (which was about 80 hrs)

Or being hauled out of bed during the night multiple times during the night for multiple production issues, existing on 3 hrs sleep and still be expected to put in a full work day?

Yes companies need to make a profit however bravado like this is NOT an employer/employee relationship but rather indentured servitude!

Lincoln freed the slaves - unfortunately most in UPS mgmt fails to recognize that fact.

randomUPSISer

Unions put a choke hold on a company. Companies are in business to make money. What Americans need to do is stop their frikken whining and start actually caring about the companies we work for.

UPSer's USED to... before the company made it clear the last couple years that it didnt care about the employees. You get what you give, right?

Unions do not do anything but charge dues...let the free market dictate rates of pay and competitive benefits, etc...unions are so great that they negotiate paying loaders $8.50 for back breaking work

Agreed. The teamsters are a VERY ineffective union for the part time loaders (who btw dont tend to vote) . Check out the full time drivers at UPS for "effective".

and non-union call center fat computer geeks who sit on their butts $14.00 and then all the union people complain about how the computer geeks couldnt possibly do as good of a job as the computer geeks they replaced when work was moved from TSG offices to one central location with streamlined procedures, superior tools, and centralized knowledge.

Actually, the new processed and procedures for TSG seem to be absolutely HORRENDOUS. We had a production problem a couple weeks back and had to sit wading through the stupid phone call "centralized procedures" for almost an hour before FINALLY getting someone to help us. The ENTIRE TIME I had to sit and tell them I AM FIRST LEVEL SUPPORT FOR THE APPLICATION I NEED TO SPEAK TO FIRST LEVEL SUPPORT FOR THE SERVERS. They wanted to know what time and days I was available to get a return phone call. (Answer: "There will be no return phone call I need to talk to them RIGHT friend@#$ing now there are over 200 employees unable to do their job") Walk outside of the ivory tower sometime and youd realize how terrible those "centralized procedures" are in the real world vs what your cost report says. Not every cost shows up on your cost report. (ie: the 200 employees sitting around waiting because we had to sit through the new call process)

If you all could really listen to yourselves, you would realize that you should be grateful that you have a job and even more - you should realize that if unions didnt exist, we'd all be in a better place

I'm sure the drivers and aircraft maint guys would agree here, right? They have lost sooo much during the downturn compared to the IS folks. Oh wait...

Also, I.S. people arent lucky to have a job at UPS. UPS is lucky to have people. The IT market seems to be doing pretty good right now. Maybe if the company hadnt convinced these people they were "lucky to have a job" more would voluntarily leave and realize UPS is paying them waaay under market value. Everyone i know thats left voluntarily has gotten at least a 20% raise.

why do you think we want FedEx to unionize so much, do you think its because we care about their employees? LMAO, its because the union will strangle FedEx just like it does UPS. Some of you folks need to take Business 101. Unions suck. (Just my opinion.)

So unions are ineffective, but they are strangling UPS? Seems like if they are strangling UPS they are pretty effective for the union employees since clearly they have raised their members total compensation above "market value".

that being said, I'd just leave instead of creating a union. The outside world seems to be better anyway. There is nothing special about UPS any longer.

ismahchyk

it was 40% for me - non financial by the way

and will be 45% for the 2 resignations that will be coming next week!

Why am I here?? Well I'm madder than heck that such a top notch company is being taken down such a dangerous path by baseball bat wielding thugs that only care for the "hierarchy" and their "royal standing as a UPS manager" rather than their ACTUAL not IMPLIED contribution to this organization.

It's time for people to put their contributions where their mouths are - because those who ARE contributing are in fact looking for work!

randomUPSISer

it was 40% for me - non financial by the way

and will be 45% for the 2 resignations that will be coming next week!

Why am I here?? Well I'm madder than heck that such a top notch company is being taken down such a dangerous path by baseball bat wielding thugs that only care for the "hierarchy" and their "royal standing as a UPS manager" rather than their ACTUAL not IMPLIED contribution to this organization.

It's time for people to put their contributions where their mouths are - because those who ARE contributing are in fact looking for work!

Its about 40% for me too actually, though all financial. I also get much better benefits at a company that actually values its employees as assets, not liabilities. My resignation is coming next week as well. :surprised:

Agreed, those who are valuable (ie: the true ASSETS) are looking to get out. Those who remain seem to be A) Old enough to where they are willing to hang on for the pension, or B) actual liabilities

UPS cant create its own reality despite how much it wants to. The market works, and business school teachings that successful companies have DISTRIBUTED DECISION MAKING and treat their employees as assets to the company are 100% true. UPS has stumbled upon the quickest way to run a world class organization into the ground I must say! Maybe Scott Davis will eventually find his name among the "best worst CEO" list somewhere near Bob Nardelli. (The maroon that ran Home depot into the ground in the early 2000's by doing VERY similar stuff before he was booted out)

ismahchyk

Radomn:

I meant as in a non-financial services industry (actually healthcare which is a growth industry). My financial increase was exactly 40% more with double the amount of benefits for half the cost (oh yeah a 6% match on the 401k too).

Add into that 6 weeks paid time off, a steady 35-40 hr week and working from home whenever I"m on call.

Additional benefits:
- on site gym (lunchtime yoga or spin is a blast)
- use of the onsite dietician
- access 24x7 to a nurse for advise (for self or family member)
- regular onsite health care screenings
- oh yeah forgot to mention onsite masseuse 2x/week

I have been blessed. Relish your resignation next week and breathe the breath of freedom when you get home to your family that day. Mine noticed the change in my disposition only 1 week after leaving!!

You will feel that too - I promise......

obama

back to the title of this thread, can anyone tell me where all the ballots were? I did not see any of them in or around the cafeteria or other common areas.

ISFriendly

Radomn:

I meant as in a non-financial services industry (actually healthcare which is a growth industry). My financial increase was exactly 40% more with double the amount of benefits for half the cost (oh yeah a 6% match on the 401k too).

Add into that 6 weeks paid time off, a steady 35-40 hr week and working from home whenever I"m on call.

Additional benefits:
- on site gym (lunchtime yoga or spin is a blast)
- use of the onsite dietician
- access 24x7 to a nurse for advise (for self or family member)
- regular onsite health care screenings
- oh yeah forgot to mention onsite masseuse 2x/week

I have been blessed. Relish your resignation next week and breathe the breath of freedom when you get home to your family that day. Mine noticed the change in my disposition only 1 week after leaving!!

You will feel that too - I promise......[/QUOT

ARE YOU WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT ???

Last edited:

ISFriendly

Why continue to post if you have left the company....go to their web-site and thank them for their salaries and benefits.... Move on, we will survive without you.....thank you for your contributions to the success of ups......

ismahchyk

[ARE YOU WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT ???[/QUOTE]

That's the problem and part of the culture that you insist on perpetuating. WORK DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AN ABUSIVE EXPERIENCE!! The abusive behaviors that became a part of the current culture came into play over the past 3 years - Yes I was once a very happy employee there.

People can actually smile and there are ACTUALLY places that places a high value on their employees. Why am I here? I AM STILL A SHAREHOLDER AND RESENT WHAT IS BEING DONE TO MY COMPANY!
Every contributing person that is beaten into leaving dilutes the value of MY shares! I resent that and will challenge those who will CONTINUE to dilute the value of MY shares - I will stay thank you much :)

You should be feeling the same way however you insist into buying into the master/slave relationship. Treat people better those who are providing value will CHOOSE to stay! An IS organization is NOT a warehouse and should not be managed as it is one.

By the way I was a high contributing member of IS averaging 80 hr work weeks and supporting 20 production systems on 3 platforms. I've done my time thanks.

Put away your whip - life is too short.

obama

please pay no mind to ISFRIENDLY - he needs to put down the kool-aid

who cares how many former UPSers visit Brown Cafe!

best of luck to you and visit anytime.

whiskeyagogo

Why continue to post if you have left the company....go to their web-site and thank them for their salaries and benefits.... Move on, we will survive without you.....thank you for your contributions to the success of ups......

I agree with what you say.

I must point out that the continuous use of ellipses (...) is a bad writing habit. If you do this at work, I guarantee the people who read your writing are laughing at what you write. We have someone who uses them all the time and it's a huge joke.

This isn't a smackdown and no, my grammar isn't perfect. I'm trying to give you a friendly look at how co-workers and superiors regard the repeated, random, and incorrect use of ellipses.

ISFriendly

You missed the point....move on with your life.....you can't help.....you can only start trouble...........get over it and thank God you found something better to do in the I/T industry.....

ISFriendly

I agree with what you say.

I must point out that the continuous use of ellipses (...) is a bad writing habit. If you do this at work, I guarantee the people who read your writing are laughing at what you write. We have someone who uses them all the time and it's a huge joke.

This isn't a smackdown and no, my grammar isn't perfect. I'm trying to give you a friendly look at how co-workers and superiors regard the repeated, random, and incorrect use of ellipses.

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission") is a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word in the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought, or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis) (apostrophe and ellipsis mixed). When placed at the end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech.
The most common form of an ellipsis is a row of three periods or full stops (...) or pre-composed triple-dot glyph (…). The usage of the em dash (—) can overlap the usage of ellipsis.
The triple-dot punctuation mark is also called a suspension point, points of ellipsis, periods of ellipsis, or colloquially, dot-dot-dot.