Write Up Your Damn Truck....Please??

Fedex Guy

Defect...they are going back to the dealership to be fixed. they keep shutting down. something electonic Is shutting the fuel down.
I believe it's the fuel relay. I have to pop the hood and swap the relay about once a week. I got no less than 10 of those relays on me at all times.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

ALL drivers are supposed to write up anything that is damaged or not working normally as soon as they notice. Being a bid driver or swing driver is irrelevant.

Sent using BrownCafe App

If it's non safety and I'm only using a rig for a day then I'll leave the regular driver a note as to what I found. It's on them to write up their ride.

If it's safety or is something needed for proper operation of the vehicle then I'll tag it regardless.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a new seat installed in my truck about every 3 years. I write it up, they replace it. New seats are a lot cheaper than back surgery.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have a new seat installed in my truck about every 3 years. I write it up, they replace it. New seats are a lot cheaper than back surgery.

Yeah, but in my last truck, I just got the seat broken in for my skinny butt. Our mechanic thought he was doing me a favor by replacing it because it looked ratty.

Took six months to get comfortable again.:)

Overpaid Union Thug

If it's non safety and I'm only using a rig for a day then I'll leave the regular driver a note as to what I found. It's on them to write up their ride.

If it's safety or is something needed for proper operation of the vehicle then I'll tag it regardless.
You are supposed to write any issues up as you see them. So just write them up. It only takes a few seconds. It's on you, not someone that isn't there, since you are driving the truck that day.

You are supposed to write any issues up as you see them. So just write them up. It only takes a few seconds. It's on you, not someone that isn't there, since you are driving the truck that day.

When it's something minor and it's not your ride you let the regular driver know. If you've ever come in to your ride being redtagged because some swing driver "hears a rattle" that's been there since the rig was new and you're in the center s-box spare until a mechanic can give it a once over then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Overpaid Union Thug

When it's something minor and it's not your ride you let the regular driver know. If you've ever come in to your ride being redtagged because some swing driver "hears a rattle" that's been there since the rig was new and you're in the center s-box spare until a mechanic can give it a once over then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Oh yeah I understand where you are coming from. You think you are doing the bid driver a favor but don't think for a second that they won't hesitate to hold off on writing things up for a month and then you get stuck with a truck that is about to break down when they get an unexpected day off. Then you, thinking that you are doing them a favor by not writing it up, gets to cover for that driver again in a few weeks while they are on vacation only guess what?......the bid driver wrote the truck up on the friday before their vacation knowing that their truck will probably get replaced with an old 800 or a train-like 1000 with no power steering. But why should they care? They know that the poor bastards that thought they were doing him a favor will get stuck with the POS truck. And why is this happening? Because both you and the bid driver continued to play that silly game when all someone had to do was write the "minor" and "non safety" issues up as they happened. But keep up the good deeds my friend and continue reaping the rewards.

No. I just do as I'm told. If we
all did what we were told instead of what we want then things would run a little smoother at big brown.

Really?
Around here we do what we are told which is to use our experience to determine whether to write something up that needs to be fixed right now and something that can wait until the next PMI so that the shop won't be inundated with chicken shiz nickel and dime stuff so they can get to the vehicles that really need repairs.
I had a rig I inherited that had a rebuilt motor in it. I noticed a minor oil leak at the front seal. I wrote it up. The mech explains that UPS went cheap on the rebuild and that's why the motor would leak when cold. Once up to temp it stops. So know I know what I'm looking at. Stay on top of checking the oil (add 3 quarts every 2 weeks) and it runs fine. The guys with expierience that shared it with me would either leave me a note pointing out what they saw or would swing by the shop and the mech would fill them in. The inexperienced, don't know a wrench from a toothbrush, DF's that might get into it would just up and red tag it without checking any further. Every time the mech would sign off and give it back to me. It got to be so bad we wrote a note on the DVIR book and STILL had people who wouldn't pay attention and would red tag it. Eventually when the shop had time for this NON SAFETY repair they took it in and replaced the front seal.
That's just MY expieriance with a situation like we are debating. It's also why I said I will leave a note on something minor or swing by the shop to get it looked at but I will NOT red tag a vehicle for every squeak I come across.

Some of us know wtf we are doing as opposed to being " told what to do" to make things run smoother at big brown.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a brand new truck with such shoddy workmanship I could barely open the bulkhead or side doors. I kept writing it up and all the mechanic could do was lube everything (with beeswax) until parts wore enough (groves worn in metal from rubbing). It was of those Workhorse P1000's that have already been replaced.

Our mechanic used to stand back about 10 feet with a squirt bottle filled with a mixture of WD40 and kerosene and spray everything until the crap was running down the insides of the truck. It was usually all over the windows and doors and did nothing but attract dust.

oldngray

nowhere special
Our mechanic used to stand back about 10 feet with a squirt bottle filled with a mixture of WD40 and kerosene and spray everything until the crap was running down the insides of the truck. It was usually all over the windows and doors and did nothing but attract dust.

WD-40 is a cleaner/degreaser but not really a lubricant. That was why my mechanic used beeswax.

Overpaid Union Thug

Really?
Around here we do what we are told which is to use our experience to determine whether to write something up that needs to be fixed right now and something that can wait until the next PMI so that the shop won't be inundated with chicken shiz nickel and dime stuff so they can get to the vehicles that really need repairs.
I had a rig I inherited that had a rebuilt motor in it. I noticed a minor oil leak at the front seal. I wrote it up. The mech explains that UPS went cheap on the rebuild and that's why the motor would leak when cold. Once up to temp it stops. So know I know what I'm looking at. Stay on top of checking the oil (add 3 quarts every 2 weeks) and it runs fine. The guys with expierience that shared it with me would either leave me a note pointing out what they saw or would swing by the shop and the mech would fill them in. The inexperienced, don't know a wrench from a toothbrush, DF's that might get into it would just up and red tag it without checking any further. Every time the mech would sign off and give it back to me. It got to be so bad we wrote a note on the DVIR book and STILL had people who wouldn't pay attention and would red tag it. Eventually when the shop had time for this NON SAFETY repair they took it in and replaced the front seal.
That's just MY expieriance with a situation like we are debating. It's also why I said I will leave a note on something minor or swing by the shop to get it looked at but I will NOT red tag a vehicle for every squeak I come across.

Some of us know wtf we are doing as opposed to being " told what to do" to make things run smoother at big brown.

Either your mechanics suck or you are just using the assumption that theyll red tag the trucks for something that can be fixed in minutes (such as a break light) as an excuse not to write the truck up. Our trucks are never red tagged for non safety write ups. Either way its your job to write them up. Those of us that do this simple task are tired of getting burned by those of you that think you're too special to do such a simple task.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Either your mechanics suck or you are just using the assumption that theyll red tag the trucks for something that can be fixed in minutes (such as a break light) as an excuse not to write the truck up. Our trucks are never red tagged for non safety write ups. Either way its your job to write them up. Those of us that do this simple task are tired of getting burned by those of you that think you're too special to do such a simple task.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Don't assume to think I don't know my job just because I don't waste my time to go into detail to the likes of you. And sure as hell don't slander my mechanics.

"Do what I'm told" pusillanimous like you are the reason a third of the fleet is down with such necessary repairs like "I hear a rattle" and "There's a smell". You don't know your dick from a shift knob and anything you don't understand is the reason for a red tag.

Overpaid Union Thug

Don't assume to think I don't know my job just because I don't waste my time to go into detail to the likes of you. And sure as hell don't slander my mechanics.

Oh I don't have to assume anything. Through your own admission of your actions you've made it crystal clear that you know your job but you simply refuse to do it. The only "details" that are required of you regarding this subject are SUPPOSED to be written up in the DVIR.

And I can slander mechanics if they make it a common practice to red tag vehicles that have been written up for repairs that normally only take between minutes and a few hours to repair. That does not happen in our building unless their isn't parts to available to fix the problems. And that is extremely rare.

"Do what I'm told" kitties like you are the reason a third of the fleet is down with such necessary repairs like "I hear a rattle" and "There's a smell". You don't know your dick from a shift knob and anything you don't understand is the reason for a red tag.

"Do what I'm told Kitties"? LOL!. This coming from a guy that flat out refuses to do a simple task, that is part of your job, for no reason other than the fact that you want to pass the buck to someone else. And that is exactly why you have no other logical responses like (a)whining about a third of the trucks being out of the lineup and don't even realize that people like YOU are the reason the trucks get into such bad shape and break down in the first place and (b)making childish references to dicks and shift knobs and assigning your own (equally childish) names like "Do what I'm told Kitties" to someone because they simply do what they are paid well to do.

And why should your fellow drivers assume that "a rattle" (<---Your own words) isn't something that is, or is about to be, something serious? Just because you assume it isn't? And how are they supposed to know that it was serviced for that rattle before if people like you refuse to write it up? It won't show up in the DVIR. Think about that. Or just get mad and start making dick and fart jokes.

Last edited: