Written up for Calling in Option Day

9/5Everyday

The center team lies to us any way they can. So in order to get days off we also have to lie.

Upstate, they will fire you just as fast as anyone else. Your butt kissing can only go so far. Quit thinking and talking like your mgmt. You get paid just as much as any of us other drivers. You act like this company never screwed you over.

Upslady20

I am also a driver in south florida.. at my center you have to get permission to use your option days in advance if you want off without claiming illness. They mark the calender and if your the senior person your off with no problem. There is a percentage of drivers that are to be allowed off and in our building that is like 2 drivers a day. And no matter why you call in if you have option days they are burning them up.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
No advance notice required in my region. One hour before start time you call in and tell them you are using an option day and that's it. No discipline for doing so either. You can tell them when you want to use one in advance and they cannot tell you no. It's beautiful.

Must be nice.

Here it's the standard two weeks.

rod

Retired 22 years
About a week ago, I called in an option day an hour and a half before my start time. The center manager asked me if I was sick and I said no. He then said I was doing this the wrong way and needed me to come into work or I would be written up the following day. I didn't come in that day and sure enough I was written up the next day. He said that option days are to be scheduled in advance and cleared with him. I filed a grievance and still waiting to hear back from Union. This seems like a way of intimidation to keep us from calling in option days. Has anyone had this happen?
Key West is a zoo! It's a fun place to party but I think if I delivered there I would call in as much as allowed also.:cheers::hot4::happy_new_year::beach_ball::beach::woohoo::bloodshot:

ExupserNaples

In SW FL, there is option 3. If I remember right option 1 was working the week and getting 58 hrs pay. Option 2 was a week off Mon-Fri. Option 3 which is what everyone started doing when we found out about it was, 7 days in one day increments any time you wanted (just as long as it was at least 1 hr. before start time.) I think I made it all the way to May one year before they were gone.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I am also a driver in south florida.. at my center you have to get permission to use your option days in advance if you want off without claiming illness. They mark the calender and if your the senior person your off with no problem. There is a percentage of drivers that are to be allowed off and in our building that is like 2 drivers a day. And no matter why you call in if you have option days they are burning them up.

In our bldg, they treat option 3 as sick days. Option 8 (?) is a personal holiday that has to be approved in advance. Any time you are off wether your sick or not, mgmt will burn an option day. It's a running joke in our center who will be the first one to use all seven. The first guy to burn them all made it to Feb. 17th:whiteflag:

K

Key West UPSer

Yes, it is an option 3 in the South Florida division and the way it has been for as long as I remember, as long as we call in an hour before our start time, the option day is to be granted. I just can't understand why all of a sudden they are chaning the rules. I spoke with the Union rep and he said to keep filing grievences everytime they write you up for calling in an option day. I guess it's just UPS managers being UPS managers.

rebel

what could keep one from calling in and just saying I will not be able to make it in today? Say nothing at all about the option 3 day. They can't say anything!