MattM

Why weren’t you already working in the building? They got you good

had you been a pt worker, you would’ve just been placed back into your original position. Since you were basically off the street, you’re almost considered unhireable.

the PVD doesn’t count. You weren’t part time anything. You were a contract non union worker as far as I could see, who took 10 months off between seasonal routes, and paid zero dues? You should’ve gotten in a year back and had something to fall back on. Unless I totally misread what you said.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've been a PVD for 2 seasons now and most recently called back due to high volume with COVID19. My performance was well above average (120 stops in 4 hrs out of a pickup truck on average) and the GM offered me a casual driver position which as you know is also a fulltime position. I accepted under the pretense that should I not pass the class, I could revert back to PVD. During the training week, I was asked to do PVD work on my downtime from training and I agreed. I still managed to NOT remember the 5 seeing habits and as this is a mandatory requirement to recite them verbatim, I failed the class. Apparently I was silently terminated from several levels above the GM and even the part time HR mgr can only explain that now I cant work for UPS for a year as I'm deemed an unsafe driver for failing to remember and recite the 5s and 10s. I am also no longer eligible to be a PVD as they somehow hold me to the same standard of a CPCD when i had been initially hired as a PVD without these standards or requirements. I contacted a Union rep and he said I was under my 30 days so they couldnt represent me, but under section 3 part 1, a) I am transferring from a part time position to a full time position and am considered able to file a grievance. I STILL havent heard from anyone except my HR mgr whom offered me a sort/load job for half the pay I was making. I refused. Can anyone help or offer advice?
Screw pvd. Go to trade school!

barnyard

KTM rider
The OP got hosed, plain and simple. I would bet dimes to dollars that they saw him failing and had him bust out that batch to get him some money before they cut him loose.

The OP also has no recourse. He is not a union member, so the union is not going to back him, he was a temp employee and the only way he comes back as a PVD is if the center manager goes to bat for him and it already appears that that is not going to happen.

If the OP wants to be a FT driver, hiring on PT and signing a bid is going to be the only way to get there.

barnyard

KTM rider
And will likely take years of grueling preload labor before he gets there.
Doubtful.
In my building, which is not very large. The current preloaders going to driving school all started during the last peak or shortly after. That would be right about 6 months. Before this group that are signing bids, we had a group of off the street hires because all the PT people that wanted to go FT already had.

We have lots of PT people with 1-6 months with the company and then it jumps to 5-6 years and up. I would bet that over half of our seniority PT people have more than 15 years.

Jbird75

Why weren’t you already working in the building? They got you good

had you been a pt worker, you would’ve just been placed back into your original position. Since you were basically off the street, you’re almost considered unhireable.

the PVD doesn’t count. You weren’t part time anything. You were a contract non union worker as far as I could see, who took 10 months off between seasonal routes, and paid zero dues? You should’ve gotten in a year back and had something to fall back on. Unless I totally misread what you said.
I was asked as a PVD to move up to FTP CD. Was told that if I refused the promotion, I wouldnt get one again and lose any chance of going permanent. And between seasons i was only off 3 months, brought back early for COVID19 volume to extend my seasonal until Jan 2021.

Jbird75

Then why are you still here?
We started as warehouse workers. Put our time in. Then became drivers.
Are you special?
NO?
GO AWAY.

COOL STORY BRO
Because I'm 45 yrs old, already been there done that and have an extensive resume. This was the closest comparable pay and benefit job that was available. But thanks for your candor.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Because I'm 45 yrs old, already been there done that and have an extensive resume. This was the closest comparable pay and benefit job that was available. But thanks for your candor.

Nobody cares how old you are or your “extensive resume” whatever that means

Put in your time like everybody else or
Beat it @Barney

clean hairy

I did take it seriously, wtf
I guess you were not really interested in the job.
If you were, a wise person would elected to spend the time learning what they had to know to pass the class.
Instead, going out and getting a hangover was more important to you...

Jbird75

Nothing else. No explanation, STILL no exit interview, wont call me back, wont take my calls. But this post has been deleted by admins because I reacted to being criticized so, I guess I cant get any answers here either. Thanks for your interest.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nothing else. No explanation, STILL no exit interview, wont call me back, wont take my calls. But this post has been deleted by admins because I reacted to being criticized so, I guess I cant get any answers here either. Thanks for your interest.

Exit interview
Lmao