WV close to being newest RTW state

PT Car Washer

That's interesting, I never knew that was what could happen, I'm in a RTW state but I'm thankful that almost everyone in my center except a handful of people are in the union. I try to recruit every new hire that walks in the door as soon as he makes book.
I wish my Union local would try and recruit new hires. Even when new hires want to join the Union they have no idea how to. And people wonder why more PT aren't involved in the Union.

HardknocksUPSer

I wish my Union local would try and recruit new hires. Even when new hires want to join the Union they have no idea how to. And people wonder why more PT aren't involved in the Union.
It's not my local trying to recruit, it's myself and other hourlies, in such a rather small center we are able to talk to every new hire and explain what they need to do in order to make their 30 days and what they need to do in order to join the union, we will keep track of their days for them to insure the management doesn't try to screw them and let them go after they've made book (which they will do) we have them fill out a union application a few days prior to their 30 days and sent it in. It's also clear that there is a particular unlocked locker in the locker room in which we keep grievance forms, union applications and contract books to hand out to new members. I often explain to them why we make the wage that we make and give them the understanding that we can dictate how we are treated if we all work together.

HardknocksUPSer

Do you recruit these guys who don't know what to do? If not I strongly suggest you take a small portion of your morning to have a talk with these guys and show them what they need to do, in my center management does even mention the union to new hires it's the job of other hourlies. Teach them they don't have to take no :censored2: off of management and lead by example.

Retiree

Doesn't a steward attend each Cornerstone orientation and give a Union presentation? This is mandatory in the district I worked in. From what I remember, we had over 90% of new part time employees join the union - in a RTW state.

HardknocksUPSer

Doesn't a steward attend each Cornerstone orientation and give a Union presentation? This is mandatory in the district I worked in. From what I remember, we had over 90% of new part time employees join the union - in a RTW state.
Not in my local. Not a word about a union is spoken, but most employees are hired because they know someone who works at The center and helps them get a job there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's interesting, I never knew that was what could happen, I'm in a RTW state but I'm thankful that almost everyone in my center except a handful of people are in the union. I try to recruit every new hire that walks in the door as soon as he makes book.
Don't be deceived ... you can do the same thing in a Closed Shop state.
A Union can be decertified in any state.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
30 years service at ups I paid out $15,000.00 n union dues.For that I get $60,000.00 a year retirement. I'm n my tenth yr, that's $600,000.00 on a $15,000.00 investment. Does anyone have that n there 401? Pay ur dues n live d American dream.
UPS paid for your pension ... not your Teamster dues.
I got a $74,000 a year pension and I have more than that in my 401 k. Just saying.

HardknocksUPSer

Don't be deceived ... you can do the same thing in a Closed Shop state.
A Union can be decertified in any state.
I see nothing but good things that come from a union as far as working as a union employee goes. Without a union we would be treated just like every other at will employee at every other joe blow company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see nothing but good things that come from a union as far as working as a union employee goes. Without a union we would be treated just like every other at will employee at every other joe blow company.
I agree and fully support a Unionized workforce. Belonging to a Union (or in a RTW state, work for a Unionized company) is worth a lot over a lifetime of work.

The poster that said, "If a certain percentage of UPS hourlies are non union they can vote to de-certify the Teamsters union AKA break the union." did not understand that this could be done in any state whether RTW or not. Or maybe he did.

Dr.Brownz

It's messed up that they sell RTW as an individuals rights thing but really its just a tool for corporations to weaken unions.

HardknocksUPSer

It's messed up that they sell RTW as an individuals rights thing but really its just a tool for corporations to weaken unions.
It's very true, it's not about our choice like they say it is, it's about large corporations, I couldn't agree more. When I was in high school I was taught that unions are bad for America and that they put a strain on things. Now that I'm out of school and able to make my own decisions and decide my own opinions I think unions are a great thing and I'm thankful for be apart of a union. Without a union I wouldn't be making the wage I make and I damn sure wouldn't be able to afford health insurance. The public education system teaches kids that unions are a bad thing. I totally disagree.