Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
As was said earlier life happens and you make choices. I went to college. Planned on being a vet; another girl in my dorm was in her second year of vet school. She told me she was $250,000 in debt (vet school is a 3 year program). I didn't like the idea of that, so I finished school with a B. S. in biology while part-time at UPS. The vet on my route retired last year in her 60s. I am eligible to retire now and I am only 54. Healthy 401K, a little UPS stock, IRA, etc. I think for me it has worked out okay; never had to pay off student loans. Wonder, though, if I would have preferred being my own boss. Sorry for the long post; I got the day off today.
You're not your own boss if you're in debt like your friend was, you work for whoever holds the loan. The fact that you're 54 and can retire means that you really are your own boss in a way that matters.

quad decade guy

As was said earlier life happens and you make choices. I went to college. Planned on being a vet; another girl in my dorm was in her second year of vet school. She told me she was $250,000 in debt (vet school is a 3 year program). I didn't like the idea of that, so I finished school with a B. S. in biology while part-time at UPS. The vet on my route retired last year in her 60s. I am eligible to retire now and I am only 54. Healthy 401K, a little UPS stock, IRA, etc. I think for me it has worked out okay; never had to pay off student loans. Wonder, though, if I would have preferred being my own boss. Sorry for the long post; I got the day off today.
Just because you are "eligible" to retire doesn't mean you should. Now, every situation is different. My financial guy says "why would you quit in the prime of your earning?....you are too young". And your vet(on your route)? Who knows? The one in our town had a sex change and had an affair with a high school boy.....

Our Valedictorian in high school swore she was going to be a brain surgeon....in high school. She was never anything close to being a doctor. She didn't even use her free state school scholarship.

browned out

The vast majority of UPSers who started in the 80s and 90s got hired in college at a job fair. UPS prioritized hiring college educated people. In the last couple decades; UPS and the IBT have figured out that highly educated employees are a problem.

Dumbo

Considering the health benefits of working outdoors and staying active during your career is a big reason I am glad I don't have a "college career". I already lift weights and paired with walking 10-15 miles a day in the sun, I'll never have to worry about being a weak bird armed office dweeb. This job will help me stay active throughout my whole life, make damn good money while looking damn good doing it!

Considering the health benefits of working outdoors and staying active during your career is a big reason I am glad I don't have a "college career". I already lift weights and paired with walking 10-15 miles a day in the sun, I'll never have to worry about being a weak bird armed office dweeb. This job will help me stay active throughout my whole life, make damn good money while looking damn good doing it!
Or make you crippled...

quad decade guy

The vast majority of UPSers who started in the 80s and 90s got hired in college at a job fair. UPS prioritized hiring college educated people. In the last couple decades; UPS and the IBT have figured out that highly educated employees are a problem.
I got hired in the early 80's. Never heard of a job fair then. We had an HR office and went there and filled out an application. The pay and benefits were so good that UPS didn't have any problem filling jobs. Matter of fact, many stayed on for decades. BTW, some of the folks I worked with couldn't spell college.

quad decade guy

He has been driving a truck for 40 years and has a plane and corvette to show for it. No end in sight.

Wouldn't you be miserable?
Gosh, airplanes and nice cars make me happy. What's wrong with you? Probably go down to the hangar this afternoon and wash the airplane if its warm enough.....we got the vette knocked out yesterday. Drove it to dinner matter of fact. Ah, having a great job and nice things....life's pretty good. I'm so far from normal retirement age that it might seem far away......to obtuse a wholes. Say, does your pool/spa have the waterfall feature? Overlooking that as I write this.....miserable indeed. Sure glad I didn't listen to any of you jag off's.

Dumbo

Or make you crippled...
For sure if you don't take care of yourself. If you eat right, sleep, stretch, hydrate and lift some weights to keep muscle imbalances in check, you will live a longer more fulfilling life than someone eating donuts at his desk all day developing back issues from too much sitting.

For sure if you don't take care of yourself. If you eat right, sleep, stretch, hydrate and lift some weights to keep muscle imbalances in check, you will live a longer more fulfilling life than someone eating donuts at his desk all day developing back issues from too much sitting.
It only takes one mistake to mess you up permanently. Unfortunately I've seen too many guys not walk out of this place on their own terms

ouanling

He has been driving a truck for 40 years and has a plane and corvette to show for it. No end in sight.

Wouldn't you be miserable?
it's my first year working for the man, and im most likely gonna semi-retire by the end of summer in my early 30's.

Living to work is retarded, i'll be back on my tropical island with my kids eating out for cheap everyday and maybe working a couple hrs online every day on my standing desk.

If you've got a decent retirement, just retire. No point in wasting precious hours of your life to get a few $ more per month, the only precious thing is time.

My kids have travelled more than 99,999% of ups employees with 20yrs+ seniority and i've never worked more than an average of 3-4hrs per day online. That's the right way to look at life. Try your best to spend as little time working as possible and as much time experiencing the world. Money and things are worthless.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
it's my first year working for the man, and im most likely gonna semi-retire by the end of summer in my early 30's.

Living to work is retarded, i'll be back on my tropical island with my kids eating out for cheap everyday and maybe working a couple hrs online every day on my standing desk.

If you've got a decent retirement, just retire. No point in wasting precious hours of your life to get a few $ more per month, the only precious thing is time.

My kids have travelled more than 99,999% of ups employees with 20yrs+ seniority and i've never worked more than an average of 3-4hrs per day online. That's the right way to look at life. Try your best to spend as little time working as possible and as much time experiencing the world. Money and things are worthless.

Money above and beyond a certain amount is worthless if you don’t have the time to use it. Being comfortable instead of poor is worth a lot.