Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

KoennenTiger

I honestly enjoy UPS. I don’t like working with others and it’s 80,000+ a year auto-pilot busy work while I listen to music and podcasts at this point. I aimed for this over college after I made fun of a UPS guy is short shorts, my teacher told me how much he makes to wear those short shorts.

I wear pants everyday like a grown man should.

I wear the short shorts

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Oh you might miss those kids you don't have but wtg.

Also top out as a teacher. I got a friend whose husband has the same goal, and another one who is my age, and her husband STILL has that same goal.

I dunno dude I think I'm happier picking up and putting down boxes.
Coming from a guy who has worked a ton of jobs.......we really do have a pretty sweet job...... If you have the balls for it (that includes the women). If you have the mental strength it's really not a bad gig at all. It's just physically draining. I don't want to be one of those guys who can't play golf at 55 cause their knees or back are so bad.
But don't you ever feel like a corporate tool? Cause that's what we are....corporate henchman. Just a bunch of numbers. If you won the lottery tomorrow and retired they would just replace you with the next donkey. Financial stability comes at the cost of relinquishing your professional self worth.

KoennenTiger

Coming from a guy who has worked a ton of jobs.......we really do have a pretty sweet job...... If you have the balls for it (that includes the women). If you have the mental strength it's really not a bad gig at all. It's just physically draining. I don't want to be one of those guys who can't play golf at 55 cause their knees or back are so bad.
But don't you ever feel like a corporate tool? Cause that's what we are....corporate henchman. Just a bunch of numbers. If you won the lottery tomorrow and retired they would just replace you with the next donkey. Financial stability comes at the cost of relinquishing your professional self worth.

Or just believe you are making a difference when you clearly are not.

Want to make a difference? You can do it through kids.

I suppose it depends on the difference you want to make.

Teach your own children or repeat the lesson plans you have to teach, but in a clever way. So clever. Like the kids who learn math didn't know math anyway, just from playing games with their family.

Relinquish your self worth indeed.

Or just believe you are making a difference when you clearly are not.

Want to make a difference? You can do it through kids.

I suppose it depends on the difference you want to make.

Teach your own children or repeat the lesson plans you have to teach, but in a clever way. So clever. Like the kids who learn math didn't know math anyway, just from playing games with their family.

Relinquish your self worth indeed.
That's why I was sure to put PROFESSIONAL self worth in there.

But you're right, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't EVER downplay someone's love for their job, moral obliagitions or not. Everybody is entitled to do whatever job they want and if the guy at McDs handing me my fries is a career guy who loves what he does....good for him.
I'm just saying....on the scale of making a positive impact on people, which I suppose I personallyvalue as the ultimate professional worth....we don't compete with my Grandma teaching thousands of kids how to read 1 on 1 over her career.
We DO provide a legit public service, and some deliveries make me feel pretty cool. Like medical stuff to people who are super nice despite their obvious deteriorating health. Little things like that remind me that I am in fact a human being while on route

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I did go to college myself and it was a total waste of my life back then. When I imagine how much farther I could be in my pension credits, how many more years at top rate, rather than getting a useless degree, a few ten thousand dollars more debt, and a degree that got me nothing.

My little brother got a masters degree in chemistry now. I don't think he'll ever reach my pay. My gosh I didn't even add in our insurance, or vacation.

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is retarded. He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

He talks fast but he's doing nothing.

His wife hates how much more successful in buying stuff I am than he, she talks the brown stuff all the time. After she gets home from her crud job. My wife don't work she's busy being barefoot and pregnant again. Three months pregnant weighs 106 pounds. His angry wife works in HR with her four year degree, 165 pounds, and somehow she got a $100,000 in debt as well!!!! She runs marathons or something all of her does. I tell him my wife just made a loaf of bread and yeah that's the kids yelling in the background.

He tells me if he could pay the payments he's looking at $1600 a month!!! My mortgage is less than that!

I paid off my student slave debt for my worthless arts degree. Now I pick up and set down boxes for a living. But I do like to imagine what if I would have just started picking up and putting down boxes even sooner? I don't even have to go into debt to do this. I get paid.

Heck I have learned more from listening to audiobooks at work then I learned at uni.

How about it box monkeys. Do you wish you would have gone to get an official college degree tm?

Maybe one day be center mngr?
I’d be lying if I told you I’m glad I didn’t pursue a computer science degree. I still hate myself for listening to my dad telling me when I was 12 years old that “computers are for girls”. What a fool.

With that being said, I’d still would rather have gone into an electrician apprenticeship program at 18 years old. A union journeyman electrician here in the bay on the high end make $90.00/hr and work awesome hours. But you know, coulda, shoulda, woulda. What can you do?

MattM

But isn't it hard work? They dismiss 80% of new drivers in my area before their 30 days. Most seem to hate it/have no family time.

Then again, maybe most of y'all are veterans with 'easy' routes or you generally know the area/have a route? Those first four years have to be hell. Don't you all think you earned that money? Ups isn't just giving money away, are they? Let me move where y'all work.

Indecisi0n

Someone sounds very judgemental . If my brother were to look down on me like that I wouldn't be too happy with him .

We have great pay, benefits and job security but does that make it the best job? No . Money isn't everything and if I hadn't worked my way into feeders Id be working on a exit strategy from UPS all together . The job got so bad I hated going to work . I love physical work but I hated all the BS that came with the job. Sorry I am not a child and I won't be treated like one no matter how much you pay me . I'd rather lower my spending means and leave than wake up one day having wasted 30 years of my life doing a job I hated.

brostalss

My older Brother has an engineering degree and currently work for Phillips on the SonicCare toothbrushes. He tells me how much he dreads those 8 hour conference calls with India and China. And the meetings with the FDA.

I tell him I'm gonna go drive 400 miles.

He asks, "wanna trade?"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My mother was a teacher for 25+ years, union, and when she retired years ago was making far more at the time than a UPS driver makes now. With normal hours, summers off and no knee relplacements, a better pension and retirement...that is only with a masters degree and some years/summers of extra post-grad .

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I did go to college myself and it was a total waste of my life back then. When I imagine how much farther I could be in my pension credits, how many more years at top rate, rather than getting a useless degree, a few ten thousand dollars more debt, and a degree that got me nothing.

My little brother got a masters degree in chemistry now. I don't think he'll ever reach my pay. My gosh I didn't even add in our insurance, or vacation.

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is retarded. He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

His wife hates how much more successful in buying stuff I am than he, she talks the brown stuff all the time. After she gets home from her crud job. My wife don't work she's busy being barefoot and pregnant again. Three months pregnant weighs 106 pounds. His angry wife works in HR with her four year degree, 165 pounds, and somehow she got a $100,000 in debt as well!!!! She runs marathons or something all of her does. I tell him my wife just made a loaf of bread and yeah that's the kids yelling in the background.

He tells me if he could pay the payments he's looking at $1600 a month!!! My mortgage is less than that!

I paid off my student slave debt for my worthless arts degree. Now I pick up and set down boxes for a living. But I do like to imagine what if I would have just started picking up and putting down boxes even sooner? I don't even have to go into debt to do this. I get paid.

Heck I have learned more from listening to audiobooks at work then I learned at uni.

How about it box monkeys. Do you wish you would have gone to get an official college degree tm?

How hots that chubby sister in law

Jackofnotrades

Or when was the last time you could help develop a new material composition that could save lives.

Our work is monotonous and doesn’t have room to leave your mark in the world. Not to say you can’t outside of work, but here I feel as though it’s not very fulfilling.
We do leave a mark in the world. We deliver medical equipment to hospitals and we are the damn delivery Cupid for valintine day, the Easter bunny, and last but not least the jolly old fat men on Christmas. That's how I look at it. Think of all the bikes we delivered for a child that asked Santa for on Christmas.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Money isn’t everything. Some people make 30k have a good life and enjoy it some make 100k and are miserable :censored2:s. I never wanted to be a ups driver hell I still don’t but I didn’t go to college. I came to this country when I was 7 didn’t have many chances in life landed this job, got married and figured out that with it my family would be set with good money,insurance,etc.. I do it so I know my daughter and family can have a good life and no have to worry and go through what I did that makes me happy even if this job doesn’t. With that said I have been at ups 14yrs plan is to retire by the time I am 55 so I have about 20 more left and I out. If my body holds up that is.

Underallowed306

I did go to college. I have a degree. I’m a package car driver. I wouldn’t want to do anything else. I derive my own self worth by being as valuable as I possibly can. Not for the company, not for ‘the numbers’, but for me. There is nothing wrong with hard work. I make 90-100k per year. My family has what they need and want. I don’t see the problem. If someone looks at me as a lowly delivery man, by God, they see a smiling lowly delivery man (who could buy and sell their judging :censored3:.)

raceanoncr

Nope. Barely made it out of HS and no desire for college. Started driving truck early on, then heavy equipment, then UPS P/C, then feeders. Went thru expensive divorce, lost most all I had, recouped most all, paid all debts, got remarried years later to a wonderful, frugal, gal that is a working machine, bought big house, got 8-car garage, Corvette, Camaro, 56 Chev, Harleys, Pickup....all paid for and retired at 63.
College for me? Nope.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I've always said....

UPS has the most educated truck drivers of any company.

When I started (as a part-timer) you had to be going to school.

A large number of people finished (or didn't) and realized you could make more

money and benefits going full-time, instead of with a college degree.

For the most part, that still holds true.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is * . He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

Don't wish, wishing won't change any poor decision made in the past, but if I had to do it over again then I definitely would have finished college.