Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by KoennenTiger, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

1. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

You still can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  2. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

True so true.

Not going to, but I do know a womea who finished her degree at 60 years old.

Thanks for the encouragement though.

3. Mack37

Mack37 Member

UPS pay and benefits are definitely superb, hence my interest in coming back. The other half of me , though, has been in trucking long enough to see and hear what happened with most of the teamster represented freight companies. I’ve worked with far too many old CF, Preston, Yellow etc. guys to believe that it will last forever.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Pick the right major and money will flow.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Does his current occupation have any connection to his degree?

6. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

Download Overdrive and listen to audiobooks for free through your library. It won't get them all but most libraries have a good selection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Mack37

Mack37 Member

Hoopla as well. Fortunately I have family all over the country so I get their numbers and pins so I have four library systems on there haha.

8. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

I'll have to try out hoopla, thanks for the info.

I started with LibriVox, which can be excellent for the classics. If you Google best LibriVox narrators, it will give a good place to start. Some of those books are professional quality, free and have no time limit or wait list.

9. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

Nice blog bro.

10. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

My experience too, we were all in college back then. More than half of us stayed when we graduated. It was grad school for me or $45K out of the gate. When I did the math on the pension, benefits, and how young I could retire it was a no brainer. College is more expensive now but I only spent $20K with a combination of University and community college; it would have been much less if I had done the starving student lifestyle. I wouldn't trade my degree for anything, I use it every day.

11. nextlife

nextlife Member

You know, some people would rather do something they love doing rather than do a job where they could potentially make more money. It sounds to me like your life revolves around money, keeping up with the joneses(status), and material things - that is fine, but don't judge others for choosing a different path from your own. I know plenty of people(myself included) who couldn't care less about what kind of car they drive as long as it gets them from point A to point B.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

Glad i didnt. I did other jobs. Befor ups.

13. Most people don’t start working to find what they love. They work to earn a living. If you’re going to work, you may as well do something that pays well. It is much better to drive a piece of crap because you want to rather than because you have to. Delivering packages doesn’t suck. Being broke sucks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

I did that all the time!

15. Old Man Jingles

Because he’s his brother?

16. Old Man Jingles

He could work in Marketing.

17. I have a friend that would constantly talk about his brother being in college. Come to find out I guess when you're incarcerated you call prison college.

Other than 98.6 the only other degree I have is from the School of hard knocks.

Hell yes I wish I would have went to University and I wish I would have joined the military but you didn't do that kind of thing back in the early '70s. It was all about peace love and understanding.

I'm close enough to being a criminal that I probably would have made a good cop.

18. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

As a guy who spent quite a bit of time to become the law.

Would you feel fulfilled directing traffic? Writing tickets in a ticket mill? Worse. Oh my we did much worse. You aren't allowed to think. And yeah you think you are going to make a difference?

Hey get those kids a family, a father at home. Slap them on the wrist you can't touch kids selling whatever, or the homeless guys. I mean those guys wish you would bring them in. They don't even make sense.

I hate to say it though. From what I saw is a pretty good bunch of guys.

19. nextlife

nextlife Member

Delivering packages sucks(imho). I am just about done with school and I am happy to take a small pay cut doing something that I enjoy doing, something much more fulfilling, and I get the summers off - and at the same time save my body.

20. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!