Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

Mack37

UPS pay and benefits are definitely superb, hence my interest in coming back. The other half of me , though, has been in trucking long enough to see and hear what happened with most of the teamster represented freight companies. I’ve worked with far too many old CF, Preston, Yellow etc. guys to believe that it will last forever.

clean hairy

I did go to college myself and it was a total waste of my life back then. When I imagine how much farther I could be in my pension credits, how many more years at top rate, rather than getting a useless degree, a few ten thousand dollars more debt, and a degree that got me nothing.

My little brother got a masters degree in chemistry now. I don't think he'll ever reach my pay. My gosh I didn't even add in our insurance, or vacation.

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is * . He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

He talks fast but he's doing nothing.

His wife hates how much more successful in buying stuff I am than he, she talks the brown stuff all the time. After she gets home from her crud job. My wife don't work she's busy being barefoot and pregnant again. Three months pregnant weighs 106 pounds. His angry wife works in HR with her four year degree, 165 pounds, and somehow she got a $100,000 in debt as well!!!! She runs marathons or something all of her does. I tell him my wife just made a loaf of bread and yeah that's the kids yelling in the background.

He tells me if he could pay the payments he's looking at $1600 a month!!! My mortgage is less than that!

I paid off my student slave debt for my worthless arts degree. Now I pick up and set down boxes for a living. But I do like to imagine what if I would have just started picking up and putting down boxes even sooner? I don't even have to go into debt to do this. I get paid.

Heck I have learned more from listening to audiobooks at work then I learned at uni.

How about it box monkeys. Do you wish you would have gone to get an official college degree tm?

Maybe one day be center mngr?
Does his current occupation have any connection to his degree?

Mack37

Download Overdrive and listen to audiobooks for free through your library. It won't get them all but most libraries have a good selection.

Hoopla as well. Fortunately I have family all over the country so I get their numbers and pins so I have four library systems on there haha.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Hoopla as well. Fortunately I have family all over the country so I get their numbers and pins so I have four library systems on there haha.

I'll have to try out hoopla, thanks for the info.

I started with LibriVox, which can be excellent for the classics. If you Google best LibriVox narrators, it will give a good place to start. Some of those books are professional quality, free and have no time limit or wait list.

Faceplanted

I did go to college myself and it was a total waste of my life back then. When I imagine how much farther I could be in my pension credits, how many more years at top rate, rather than getting a useless degree, a few ten thousand dollars more debt, and a degree that got me nothing.

My little brother got a masters degree in chemistry now. I don't think he'll ever reach my pay. My gosh I didn't even add in our insurance, or vacation.

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is * . He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

His wife hates how much more successful in buying stuff I am than he, she talks the brown stuff all the time. After she gets home from her crud job. My wife don't work she's busy being barefoot and pregnant again. Three months pregnant weighs 106 pounds. His angry wife works in HR with her four year degree, 165 pounds, and somehow she got a $100,000 in debt as well!!!! She runs marathons or something all of her does. I tell him my wife just made a loaf of bread and yeah that's the kids yelling in the background.

He tells me if he could pay the payments he's looking at $1600 a month!!! My mortgage is less than that!

I paid off my student slave debt for my worthless arts degree. Now I pick up and set down boxes for a living. But I do like to imagine what if I would have just started picking up and putting down boxes even sooner? I don't even have to go into debt to do this. I get paid.

Heck I have learned more from listening to audiobooks at work then I learned at uni.

How about it box monkeys. Do you wish you would have gone to get an official college degree tm?

Nice blog bro.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've always said....

UPS has the most educated truck drivers of any company.

When I started (as a part-timer) you had to be going to school.

A large number of people finished (or didn't) and realized you could make more

money and benefits going full-time, instead of with a college degree.

For the most part, that still holds true.

My experience too, we were all in college back then. More than half of us stayed when we graduated. It was grad school for me or $45K out of the gate. When I did the math on the pension, benefits, and how young I could retire it was a no brainer. College is more expensive now but I only spent $20K with a combination of University and community college; it would have been much less if I had done the starving student lifestyle. I wouldn't trade my degree for anything, I use it every day.

nextlife

You know, some people would rather do something they love doing rather than do a job where they could potentially make more money. It sounds to me like your life revolves around money, keeping up with the joneses(status), and material things - that is fine, but don't judge others for choosing a different path from your own. I know plenty of people(myself included) who couldn't care less about what kind of car they drive as long as it gets them from point A to point B.

Underallowed306

You know, some people would rather do something they love doing rather than do a job where they could potentially make more money. It sounds to me like your life revolves around money, keeping up with the joneses(status), and material things - that is fine, but don't judge others for choosing a different path from your own. I know plenty of people(myself included) who couldn't care less about what kind of car they drive as long as it gets them from point A to point B

Most people don’t start working to find what they love. They work to earn a living. If you’re going to work, you may as well do something that pays well. It is much better to drive a piece of crap because you want to rather than because you have to. Delivering packages doesn’t suck. Being broke sucks.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There was this preloader I worked with. When I was a tcd utility driver he covered my PT preload spot. I used to load 4 cars because I made the mistake of working really hard. When I went tcd and was gone most of the time they split my 4 cars between two guys.

When I'd show up to preload they'd just tell me to help this one guy.

Because he was basically seriously mentally challenged. He was nice enough. Just not all the way with it. A few cookies short.

It was crazy. I would go out of my way to teach him the best loading methods, he would forget them the next day.

He was going into debt to get a degree. He couldn't read. I know I tried to show him the load charts, he couldn't even stack boxes straight. I remember asking him about his life goals and his future.

"I'm going to college"

Ahhhhhhhh but I didn't scream out loud. Can't read, can barely preload, but not a bad person. Going to college. Going in debt to go to college.

"what's your major?"

'I'm majoring in entrepreneurship'

'one day I'm going to start a business!'

Going into hella debt, can't read, can't even really load a truck, barely functional dude.

What!!!

It's just scammers scamming him into debt. It ain't right
He could work in Marketing.

BottomFeeder909

I have a friend that would constantly talk about his brother being in college. Come to find out I guess when you're incarcerated you call prison college.

Other than 98.6 the only other degree I have is from the School of hard knocks.

Hell yes I wish I would have went to University and I wish I would have joined the military but you didn't do that kind of thing back in the early '70s. It was all about peace love and understanding.

I'm close enough to being a criminal that I probably would have made a good cop.

KoennenTiger

As a guy who spent quite a bit of time to become the law.

Would you feel fulfilled directing traffic? Writing tickets in a ticket mill? Worse. Oh my we did much worse. You aren't allowed to think. And yeah you think you are going to make a difference?

Hey get those kids a family, a father at home. Slap them on the wrist you can't touch kids selling whatever, or the homeless guys. I mean those guys wish you would bring them in. They don't even make sense.

I hate to say it though. From what I saw is a pretty good bunch of guys.

nextlife

Most people don’t start working to find what they love. They work to earn a living. If you’re going to work, you may as well do something that pays well. It is much better to drive a piece of crap because you want to rather than because you have to. Delivering packages doesn’t suck. Being broke sucks.

Delivering packages sucks(imho). I am just about done with school and I am happy to take a small pay cut doing something that I enjoy doing, something much more fulfilling, and I get the summers off - and at the same time save my body.