Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

Heavy Package

I went to college and have a degree in Engineering-One of the most lucrative degrees there is. I did everything I wanted to accomplish in the 15 yrs prior to UPS. I became a Director of Operations for a healthcare organization. It was not all that. Pay was at most $85k/ yr. Managed 7 Managers with a total department staff of about 70. HR headaches. Politics and political correctness. Always on call. Meetings, meetings, meetings, and business trips. Emails at all hours of the night. Why did I leave and go drive a brown truck for UPS? The pay was the same, benefits better, pension, and job security.

I do a good job for UPS. But when I leave, I leave it all behind at the gate. UPS is a filthy job and often we are looked at as a nobody all day. With shipping being "free", no one cares who delivers the stuff and we are nothing but a commodity. But my bills are paid, I don't think about work 24-7, my vacations are actually vacations, and I smile when my family looks puzzled how I can afford the trips I take, the house I live in, kids college paid for, etc. They look down on me for having a blue collar job. Yet the guy dropping cardboard on their porch has a net worth well north of $1 million dollars. All while being in my early 40's.

Staydryitsraining

I did go to college myself and it was a total waste of my life back then. When I imagine how much farther I could be in my pension credits, how many more years at top rate, rather than getting a useless degree, a few ten thousand dollars more debt, and a degree that got me nothing.

My little brother got a masters degree in chemistry now. I don't think he'll ever reach my pay. My gosh I didn't even add in our insurance, or vacation.

Top that off with he's got over $100,000 in student loan debt. I mean what does he even do? He talks like a friend@g and his :censored2: is * . He does nothing. He gets government grants to do "experiments", then he writes about them. The only goal? Get more of that sweet government cash.

He talks fast but he's doing nothing.

His wife hates how much more successful in buying stuff I am than he, she talks the brown stuff all the time. After she gets home from her crud job. My wife don't work she's busy being barefoot and pregnant again. Three months pregnant weighs 106 pounds. His angry wife works in HR with her four year degree, 165 pounds, and somehow she got a $100,000 in debt as well!!!! She runs marathons or something all of her does. I tell him my wife just made a loaf of bread and yeah that's the kids yelling in the background.

He tells me if he could pay the payments he's looking at $1600 a month!!! My mortgage is less than that!

I paid off my student slave debt for my worthless arts degree. Now I pick up and set down boxes for a living. But I do like to imagine what if I would have just started picking up and putting down boxes even sooner? I don't even have to go into debt to do this. I get paid.

Heck I have learned more from listening to audiobooks at work then I learned at uni.

How about it box monkeys. Do you wish you would have gone to get an official college degree tm?

Maybe one day be center mngr?
He has a master's in chemistry and you say he wont make as much as you or us? Hahahaha you must say alot of things that dont make sense. Unless he is an idiot there is no reason why he wont be making at least 175k a year in 5 years. My brother has ba in chemistry. He makes over 140.

Tightupser

My brother and sister went to college and are working in the fields they chose, I didn't and have already made more then them this year! They do have family time but I'd rather make alot so when I have vacation there is no limit

oldngray

nowhere special
My brother and sister went to college and are working in the fields they chose, I didn't and have already made more then them this year! They do have family time but I'd rather make alot so when I have vacation there is no limit
A lot of people have college degrees but work at UPS because they make more money driving a truck.

purehavanne

Degree holder chiming in....

Although UPS drivers may not get tons of respect because we use our brawn to earn a living, none of my peers with whom I graduated in 2012 are homeowners like me. None of them make the kind of money I make without the debt (used UPS tuition reimbursement.) None of them have the types of benefits I have or potential pension.

However, in my opinion our work is hardly meaningful. Dealing with the public is a hassle; dealing with management is a headache. BUT..... no one forces anyone thru the guard shack every day.

If you feel like you can do better without UPS then go for it. I’m definitely switching careers if I don’t get in to feeders soon. Just nothing enjoyable about 200 stops per day.

Re-Raise

I went to college and have a degree in Engineering-One of the most lucrative degrees there is. I did everything I wanted to accomplish in the 15 yrs prior to UPS. I became a Director of Operations for a healthcare organization. It was not all that. Pay was at most $85k/ yr. Managed 7 Managers with a total department staff of about 70. HR headaches. Politics and political correctness. Always on call. Meetings, meetings, meetings, and business trips. Emails at all hours of the night. Why did I leave and go drive a brown truck for UPS? The pay was the same, benefits better, pension, and job security.

I do a good job for UPS. But when I leave, I leave it all behind at the gate. UPS is a filthy job and often we are looked at as a nobody all day. With shipping being "free", no one cares who delivers the stuff and we are nothing but a commodity. But my bills are paid, I don't think about work 24-7, my vacations are actually vacations, and I smile when my family looks puzzled how I can afford the trips I take, the house I live in, kids college paid for, etc. They look down on me for having a blue collar job. Yet the guy dropping cardboard on their porch has a net worth well north of $1 million dollars. All while being in my early 40's.
Agree!

I leave my job, as I leave the parking lot. I would hate to have a job that occupies my thoughts at home.

And I have the years in to retire at any time. I am working a few more months to pay off my daughter’s college debt completely. One of them is finishing her Master’s and the other is finishing her Doctorate.

My future doctor daughter told me the other day that I am the smartest person she knows... (she must not get out much)lol

margaritaville

You lost me at pregnant wife. Stay single til 50 and make bank from UP$ travel and do what you want. Than when you have a huge pension, no divorce debt, or kid debt than get married to a 30 year old Ukraine or Thai woman(not in a creepy way be good looking and make them actually like you). Then they will take care of you and your new kid while you continue to live off 401k and pension. You got the right idea with saying :censored2: college though, its a scam. But you fell for the other scam, kids before 50.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You lost me at pregnant wife. Stay single til 50 and make bank from UP$ travel and do what you want. Than when you have a huge pension, no divorce debt, or kid debt than get married to a 30 year old Ukraine or Thai woman(not in a creepy way be good looking and make them actually like you). Then they will take care of you and your new kid while you continue to live off 401k and pension. You got the right idea with saying :censored2: college though, its a scam. But you fell for the other scam, kids before 50.

(not in a creepy way be good looking and make them actually like you)

How does this work

I think margaritaville May have had one to many

KoennenTiger

But isn't it hard work? They dismiss 80% of new drivers in my area before their 30 days. Most seem to hate it/have no family time.

Then again, maybe most of y'all are veterans with 'easy' routes or you generally know the area/have a route? Those first four years have to be hell. Don't you all think you earned that money? Ups isn't just giving money away, are they? Let me move where y'all work.

There are no easy routes. There are just guys who believe they have an easy route.

I dunno I've worked a lot of jobs as well. Would I trade a deathly hot, so hot, why is it so hot it's so hot, day? For what? A fake office job again. Sales
Delivering packages sucks(imho). I am just about done with school and I am happy to take a small pay cut doing something that I enjoy doing, something much more fulfilling, and I get the summers off - and at the same time save my body.

I find my work fulfilling. A job well done. And yeah I'll be honest I appreciate the pay. I'm able to provide a very good life for my kids, and my wife knows how hard I work. This is a very good job.

You don't have to break your body either. Work safely, follow the methods, you'll be alright. I'm watching 65 year old guys retire just fine. Heck there's a guy older than that still working. Still to this day doing rough pickups.

I mean it's fine. This is what life is. Good customers, moving all day,

One kid? I've got a ton of rug rats and I'm making more. Also I'm already divorced. Don't be one of those mgtow guys divorce sucks for sure but it isn't that bad. The woman gets it far worse.

KoennenTiger

He has a master's in chemistry and you say he wont make as much as you or us? Hahahaha you must say alot of things that dont make sense. Unless he is an idiot there is no reason why he wont be making at least 175k a year in 5 years. My brother has ba in chemistry. He makes over 140.

He's 3 years post graduation and on his fourth job. He's building connections in the industry, but he's just doing this grant chasing thing. Right now he's making first year driver money with very minimal benefits and on salary so he's also pulling in first year driver running a 240 stop split hours as well.

Hopefully in the long term it pays off for him

8000Shelf

Started this job at 18. Never went to college and I'm debt free with $ in the bank. After 17+ years at this place I have had plenty of days wishing I'd done something else or been more focused in my younger days. However I like working outdoors and working alone 90% of the time. My body has some issues but overall it's been a good gig. Never thought I'd be making north of 100k either.
Being a UPS driver is one of the last pieces of the American dream (thank you teamsters). You won't get rich but you'll be financially comfortable. Not to mention keep pace with those upper class a** holes that look down on working people

35years

Gravy route
I have a different perspective than most. I grew up in a loving but poor family. My parents had 11 kids and my dad became disabled just after i was born. They did not believe in taking government welfare. We sqeeked by under the poverty line with everyone doing their part. It was a happy childhood.

I started at UPS in college, like almost everyone back then. Hard work, taking care of my family is fulfilling. I am making a positive difference in my family and community. I volunteer a great deal. 99% of the world works to live, not to find their dream job or bolster their self worth. The movie "It's a wonderful life" comes to mind.

I derive my self worth out of knowing I am a greatly loved child of God. If I am slinging boxes or teaching a kid how to fish it doesn't matter. If I am serving God and loving those He puts in my life, it is all the same.

Indecisi0n

college-girls-_xx94.jpg

ManInBrown

Nope. Not in the least. 90K a year to drive a truck around in the middle of the night and never lift a finger. Im good. I guarantee there are people i went to HS with, who were a hell of a lot smarter than me, who went to college and dont make anywhere near 90K a year. With a mountain full of debt.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have a different perspective than most. I grew up in a loving but poor family. My parents had 11 kids and my dad became disabled just after i was born. They did not believe in taking government welfare. We sqeeked by under the poverty line with everyone doing their part. It was a happy childhood.

I started at UPS in college, like almost everyone back then. Hard work, taking care of my family is fulfilling. I am making a positive difference in my family and community. I volunteer a great deal. 99% of the world works to live, not to find their dream job or bolster their self worth. The movie "It's a wonderful life" comes to mind.

I derive my self worth out of knowing I am a greatly loved child of God. If I am slinging boxes or teaching a kid how to fish it doesn't matter. If I am serving God and loving those He puts in my life, it is all the same.
Amen.