Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

dudebro

Before taxes... And assuming they need zero of those dollars for living expenses. In reality they probably need it all just to get by.

It’s pretty unrealistic to pay for school with a part time job anymore. Unless you live at home and mom and dad pay for everything.
View attachment 255798
this is true, but. I don’t see kids moving out at 18 unless there are problems, so in most cases they CAN use the money for school.

And what colleges are doing to people to fuel ever larger administrations is criminal but that’s another topic.

onidraug

Yah,

I got my degree while at UPS. Unfortunately, UPS seems the only company "willing" (forced to by union) to pay a living wage. I tried so hard to not be a driver. I spent years looking for something, anything else. Even if it meant slightly less money... but the jobs don't exist. Everyone wants to pay minimum wage. And in my state where it's going up every year, the companies are calling that a raise... a raise to consistency with minimum wage, woohoo.

There is absolutely no other job save the medical field that I could even pay back my loans with. The country has really :censored2:ed its future. When they push free education and ask "who should pay for it?" Well, :censored2:ing everybody. Wasn't that the point... to get our kids educated and out of the bull:censored2: that we do? Everybody should be paying for everybody to have free college... but then if nobody wants to pay for a degree holder, then :censored2: it, I guess?

I know a place that gets away with paying masters degree holders (we're talking $120k in education) around $30k a year... it's pitiful.

So, either the unions come back, or ours is the last to fall... and the last liveable wage careers along with it.

Heavy Package

Encourage those who look down on you to sign for driver helper during peak.
They just may have a better appreciation for what you do.

Not one of them in my family could make it through a shift. Sad when wearing a cheap Kohl's button down shirt and sitting in a cube all day doing nothing is viewed as some sort of "I'm better than you" mentality for some people in life.

Withbacon

You know, as a general rule it is a fact that UPS can replace people at the drop of a hat. But there's really one position that there aren't too many of (in my building, anyways), and that's the pick-off position.

There are 9 metros and 9 pick-offs, and each handle anywhere from 6,000 to 9,000+ packages on a daily basis. The ones that handle the higher end of 7,500 and onwards to 9,000+ every day without ANY help (especially the ones that can sort through all their smalls bags without assistance) over the course of a shift that is as short as 4 hours (where most of the volume is coming down in the span of only 2 of those hours) are worth gold to the operation.

They're more valuable and rare than just about every other position in the building (drivers included). Think about it, there are about 250 drivers, give or take, on bid routes, tons of TCD trained part-timers, lots of preloaders, lots of unloaders, a minimum of 16 SPA people (and more trained to do it with a good level of proficiency), etc. And then about half of those pick-offs actually CAN'T do everything by themselves and basically destroy their metros if they're left to their own devices without assistance throughout the day, and they STILL have their positions because it's hard enough just to get someone who can pick-off the regular, non-smalls volume. It's interesting, really. I don't know if management just isn't tapping into the workforce deep enough to get a better talent pool to train pick-offs or what.

To illustrate one of the experienced pick-offs that can do everything the vast majority of the time by themselves was terminated recently, and that metro has been SUFFERING since then with management trying to train a new pick-off that has a little bit of experience picking on Saturdays (which is a whole different animal volume-wise). I've been pulled from my regular metro to cover that metro for Prime week because otherwise it would go down in flames every day. Just last week the experienced pick-off for another metro was on vacation and the metro suffered for that as well. Supervisors off-picking to assist the replacement and costing the company even more money on top of the double-handling for missorts, etc.

I'm the self-proclaimed supervisors working grievance king and full-time supervisors vie for me to come to their problem metro to pick-off for them. That's how much a good pick-off is worth, that supervisors are willing to eat grievances just so they don't have to worry about their pick-off position. Yes, I have the heaviest pull in the building (a lot of the time) and do it like I'm asleep.

Oh, and I'm sure @Maple Grove MN Driver will step in and say something about "blah blah blah, part-time workers are useless and replaceable, blah blah blah" but I GUARANTEE that if he tried to pick-off even the lightest volume metro in the building he'd be crying uncle after the first day. The first 10 minutes of the first day.

At our "smart" hub pick off has been automated....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Yah,

I got my degree while at UPS. Unfortunately, UPS seems the only company "willing" (forced to by union) to pay a living wage. I tried so hard to not be a driver. I spent years looking for something, anything else. Even if it meant slightly less money... but the jobs don't exist. Everyone wants to pay minimum wage. And in my state where it's going up every year, the companies are calling that a raise... a raise to consistency with minimum wage, woohoo.

There is absolutely no other job save the medical field that I could even pay back my loans with. The country has really :censored2:ed its future. When they push free education and ask "who should pay for it?" Well, :censored2:ing everybody. Wasn't that the point... to get our kids educated and out of the bull:censored2: that we do? Everybody should be paying for everybody to have free college... but then if nobody wants to pay for a degree holder, then :censored2: it, I guess?

I know a place that gets away with paying masters degree holders (we're talking $120k in education) around $30k a year... it's pitiful.

So, either the unions come back, or ours is the last to fall... and the last liveable wage careers along with it.
Yet everywhere you look, people are eating, drinking, shopping, driving big fancy cars, living in nice subdivisions in oversized houses and taking pricey vacations.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yah,

No every body should not be paying for your free college. Colleges would just become even more bloated and less efficient.

If you think medical field is the only way to pay back loans. Well I don’t even know what to say about this post it just screams I’m 23 and mad bad decisions that everyone else should pay for. SMH

Brownslave688

Yet everywhere you look, people are eating, drinking, shopping, driving big fancy cars, living in nice subdivisions in oversized houses and taking pricey vacations.
Do I think we are due for a recession? Yes

But the people who right now are complaining that the economy is terrible right now....will either Bitch about anything or failed to put themselves in a position for success

Brownslave688

Yah,

What’s your degree in?

Superteeth2478

I ain't replaceable because if they try to replace me my local shows up to the grievance and voila. They have tried pretty hard to get rid of a few drivers I know. They just don't actually break any company policies. So they get let go and it's just a free vacation.

They try to mess with them and guess what they are all on the 95 list.
I don't mean easily fired! Just that they can replace a lot of positions with ease without batting an eye. But that skilled pick-off in a slide-to-car building isn't one of them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
went to college for degree in social services. back then i turned down a job that would have paid 17k a year. my first truck driving job paid about 20k.

now that degree may have earned maybe 70-80k. my last 5 years with UPS averaged 115k ( not including benefits ) my worse year with UPS was about 50k and that is because took family leave for 3 months for sick spouse.

with that degree I would have worked at least until 67-70. with UPS I retired at 58.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Who cares. My dad's been a teacher for 20+ years....is STILL paying off student loan debt from his bachelors and masters. We always ate well and had nice clothes and allowance. He couldn't imagine doing any other job and has no regrets about the debt, especially since he's almost done with it and my youngest bro is now out of the house. Education should never be construed as a negative; it's unfortunate that the exorbitant price has people labeling the process of gathering knowledge "worthless."
You don't have to go to an IVY league school or the best universities to get a good education. It all depends on the student. You get out of it what you put in. I went to a state school for 2 years at very low cost and then transferred to Northeastern University in Boston. A class A low cost school for state residents with some of the best teachers in the world.

BTW I am not faulting your Dad. He sounds like a real cool guy. I am just stating that people have choices.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
You don't have to go to an IVY league school or the best universities to get a good education. It all depends on the student. You get out of it what you put in. I went to a state school for 2 years at very low cost and then transferred to Northeastern University in Boston. A class A low cost school for state residents with some of the best teachers in the world.

BTW I am not faulting your Dad. He sounds like a real cool guy. I am just stating that people have choices.

Parents had me in high school. Dad managed to get his Associates Bachelors and Masters all within 4 years. He student loaned his ass off and we also used it to get our section 8 apt. that we lived in for a few years while he was attending class. We were so bottom of the barrell poor, his priority was just to get it done as quickly as possible. With his masters he was able to make more, faster as a teacher.