Y'all ever wish you would have gone to college instead?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
I never expected to be told to call it a week at 3 on a Friday. I knew from the get go that I would be expected to work until I was done with the route whether that was 6 o'clock or 9- or later during peak. People have to realize it isn't a 9 to 5 job. If you are looking for 9 to 5 look elsewhere--UPS isn't for you. I was always envious about friends (and my wife) getting off early but that's as far as it went. I had my laugh come time to cash my paycheck and the fact that I had great benefits and lots of vacation weeks-----and EVERY weekend off. .
I was my own boss before working at UPS
Paid for my crappy insurance, if I was lucky had a week off a year, and I was the last one paid every week
I find it amazing that I now have 6 paid weeks off a year, pay nothing for pretty damn good insurance for me and my family and have every weekend off
I have made 100K plus the last few years and love being outside everyday instead of stuck in an office with a bunch of beaches
And as long as I do what I am suppose to, there is really nothing a driver sup or center manager can do to me
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

davidix

Going to college is a huge decision. If you have a support system that allows you to get a legit degree it's worth it. But most people get a degree just to one.

Going to college is a two way street. The ones that go all in on a highly demanding field and make great money...and the ones that just end up with student loan debt making less than 50k a year.

I skipped college and have zero debt.

clean hairy

I went to college and have a degree in Engineering-One of the most lucrative degrees there is. I did everything I wanted to accomplish in the 15 yrs prior to UPS. I became a Director of Operations for a healthcare organization. It was not all that. Pay was at most $85k/ yr. Managed 7 Managers with a total department staff of about 70. HR headaches. Politics and political correctness. Always on call. Meetings, meetings, meetings, and business trips. Emails at all hours of the night. Why did I leave and go drive a brown truck for UPS? The pay was the same, benefits better, pension, and job security.

I do a good job for UPS. But when I leave, I leave it all behind at the gate. UPS is a filthy job and often we are looked at as a nobody all day. With shipping being "free", no one cares who delivers the stuff and we are nothing but a commodity. But my bills are paid, I don't think about work 24-7, my vacations are actually vacations, and I smile when my family looks puzzled how I can afford the trips I take, the house I live in, kids college paid for, etc. They look down on me for having a blue collar job. Yet the guy dropping cardboard on their porch has a net worth well north of $1 million dollars. All while being in my early 40's.
Encourage those who look down on you to sign for driver helper during peak.
They just may have a better appreciation for what you do.

MrFeeder

I went to college and have a degree in Engineering-One of the most lucrative degrees there is. I did everything I wanted to accomplish in the 15 yrs prior to UPS. I became a Director of Operations for a healthcare organization. It was not all that. Pay was at most $85k/ yr. Managed 7 Managers with a total department staff of about 70. HR headaches. Politics and political correctness. Always on call. Meetings, meetings, meetings, and business trips. Emails at all hours of the night. Why did I leave and go drive a brown truck for UPS? The pay was the same, benefits better, pension, and job security.

I do a good job for UPS. But when I leave, I leave it all behind at the gate. UPS is a filthy job and often we are looked at as a nobody all day. With shipping being "free", no one cares who delivers the stuff and we are nothing but a commodity. But my bills are paid, I don't think about work 24-7, my vacations are actually vacations, and I smile when my family looks puzzled how I can afford the trips I take, the house I live in, kids college paid for, etc. They look down on me for having a blue collar job. Yet the guy dropping cardboard on their porch has a net worth well north of $1 million dollars. All while being in my early 40's.
“I leave it all behind the gate and don’t think about work at home.” But yet you posted this while sipping on your wine while in bed anticipating and dreading on going to work. You bleed brown don’t lie.

I have been with the company for about 6 years. While I agree that it is a good job, I also agree there are some absolutely :censored2:ty days to be had at ups. I think it all comes down to your attitude. But I still find myself wanting to use my business degree. If you dont have a family to provide for, I'd recommend using your noggin for a living instead. It's all unique to who you are.

Superteeth2478

But don't you ever feel like a corporate tool? Cause that's what we are....corporate henchman. Just a bunch of numbers. If you won the lottery tomorrow and retired they would just replace you with the next donkey.
You know, as a general rule it is a fact that UPS can replace people at the drop of a hat. But there's really one position that there aren't too many of (in my building, anyways), and that's the pick-off position.

There are 9 metros and 9 pick-offs, and each handle anywhere from 6,000 to 9,000+ packages on a daily basis. The ones that handle the higher end of 7,500 and onwards to 9,000+ every day without ANY help (especially the ones that can sort through all their smalls bags without assistance) over the course of a shift that is as short as 4 hours (where most of the volume is coming down in the span of only 2 of those hours) are worth gold to the operation.

They're more valuable and rare than just about every other position in the building (drivers included). Think about it, there are about 250 drivers, give or take, on bid routes, tons of TCD trained part-timers, lots of preloaders, lots of unloaders, a minimum of 16 SPA people (and more trained to do it with a good level of proficiency), etc. And then about half of those pick-offs actually CAN'T do everything by themselves and basically destroy their metros if they're left to their own devices without assistance throughout the day, and they STILL have their positions because it's hard enough just to get someone who can pick-off the regular, non-smalls volume. It's interesting, really. I don't know if management just isn't tapping into the workforce deep enough to get a better talent pool to train pick-offs or what.

To illustrate one of the experienced pick-offs that can do everything the vast majority of the time by themselves was terminated recently, and that metro has been SUFFERING since then with management trying to train a new pick-off that has a little bit of experience picking on Saturdays (which is a whole different animal volume-wise). I've been pulled from my regular metro to cover that metro for Prime week because otherwise it would go down in flames every day. Just last week the experienced pick-off for another metro was on vacation and the metro suffered for that as well. Supervisors off-picking to assist the replacement and costing the company even more money on top of the double-handling for missorts, etc.

I'm the self-proclaimed supervisors working grievance king and full-time supervisors vie for me to come to their problem metro to pick-off for them. That's how much a good pick-off is worth, that supervisors are willing to eat grievances just so they don't have to worry about their pick-off position. Yes, I have the heaviest pull in the building (a lot of the time) and do it like I'm asleep.

Oh, and I'm sure @Maple Grove MN Driver will step in and say something about "blah blah blah, part-time workers are useless and replaceable, blah blah blah" but I GUARANTEE that if he tried to pick-off even the lightest volume metro in the building he'd be crying uncle after the first day. The first 10 minutes of the first day.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You know, as a general rule it is a fact that UPS can replace people at the drop of a hat. But there's really one position that there aren't too many of (in my building, anyways), and that's the pick-off position.

There are 9 metros and 9 pick-offs, and each handle anywhere from 6,000 to 9,000+ packages on a daily basis. The ones that handle the higher end of 7,500 and onwards to 9,000+ every day without ANY help (especially the ones that can sort through all their smalls bags without assistance) over the course of a shift that is as short as 4 hours (where most of the volume is coming down in the span of only 2 of those hours) are worth gold to the operation.

They're more valuable and rare than just about every other position in the building (drivers included). Think about it, there are about 250 drivers, give or take, on bid routes, tons of TCD trained part-timers, lots of preloaders, lots of unloaders, a minimum of 16 SPA people (and more trained to do it with a good level of proficiency), etc. And then about half of those pick-offs actually CAN'T do everything by themselves and basically destroy their metros if they're left to their own devices without assistance throughout the day, and they STILL have their positions because it's hard enough just to get someone who can pick-off the regular, non-smalls volume. It's interesting, really. I don't know if management just isn't tapping into the workforce deep enough to get a better talent pool to train pick-offs or what.

To illustrate one of the experienced pick-offs that can do everything the vast majority of the time by themselves was terminated recently, and that metro has been SUFFERING since then with management trying to train a new pick-off that has a little bit of experience picking on Saturdays (which is a whole different animal volume-wise). I've been pulled from my regular metro to cover that metro for Prime week because otherwise it would go down in flames every day. Just last week the experienced pick-off for another metro was on vacation and the metro suffered for that as well. Supervisors off-picking to assist the replacement and costing the company even more money on top of the double-handling for missorts, etc.

I'm the self-proclaimed supervisors working grievance king and full-time supervisors vie for me to come to their problem metro to pick-off for them. That's how much a good pick-off is worth, that supervisors are willing to eat grievances just so they don't have to worry about their pick-off position. Yes, I have the heaviest pull in the building (a lot of the time) and do it like I'm asleep.

Oh, and I'm sure @Maple Grove MN Driver will step in and say something about "blah blah blah, part-time workers are useless and replaceable, blah blah blah" but I GUARANTEE that if he tried to pick-off even the lightest volume metro in the building he'd be crying uncle after the first day. The first 10 minutes of the first day.

45F83F63-8F21-4D19-9572-10B4AE15947E.gif

F2492F47-AB14-4953-97F2-58A102700ADA.gif

dudebro

It
Going to college is a huge decision. If you have a support system that allows you to get a legit degree it's worth it. But most people get a degree just to one.

Going to college is a two way street. The ones that go all in on a highly demanding field and make great money...and the ones that just end up with student loan debt making less than 50k a year.

I skipped college and have zero debt.
A degree gives a person an option, as long as you can do it without stupid debt. In-state schools still cost $15k or less per year and a student can swing that with a pt job. Who the hell really knows what they want at 18 anyway.

That said, once you graduate, you ARE educated, and whether you pursue a field with your degree doesn’t matter. A “college” job, UPS driving job, or trade is a fine job just as well, and many of them pay well enough.

If you wanted to be loaded, start a business and be the owner.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It

A degree gives a person an option, as long as you can do it without stupid debt. In-state schools still cost $15k or less per year and a student can swing that with a pt job. Who the hell really knows what they want at 18 anyway.

That said, once you graduate, you ARE educated, and whether you pursue a field with your degree doesn’t matter. A “college” job, UPS driving job, or trade is a fine job just as well, and many of them pay well enough.

If you wanted to be loaded, start a business and be the owner.
15k a year with a part time job? Lmao

15k a year is insane for an instate school. 15 years ago it was barely 5k.

dudebro

15k a year with a part time job? Lmao

15k a year is insane for an instate school. 15 years ago it was barely 5k.

I live near a hub where a pt insider can make 13 per hour and get 25 hours a week easy. There’s 15 k without even tuition reimbursement. What’s so hard about that?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I live near a hub where a pt insider can make 13 per hour and get 25 hours a week easy. There’s 15 k without even tuition reimbursement. What’s so hard about that?
Before taxes... And assuming they need zero of those dollars for living expenses. In reality they probably need it all just to get by.

It’s pretty unrealistic to pay for school with a part time job anymore. Unless you live at home and mom and dad pay for everything.
46B93185-2837-43A5-88D1-DE8EFD012349.jpeg

KoennenTiger

Or burrheadd. I knew one of the two would say something like that. Fact of the matter is that if you actually watched an experienced pick-off on a high-volume belt work you'd know what I was talking about. Drivers are more replaceable than they realize.

I ain't replaceable because if they try to replace me my local shows up to the grievance and voila. They have tried pretty hard to get rid of a few drivers I know. They just don't actually break any company policies. So they get let go and it's just a free vacation.

They try to mess with them and guess what they are all on the 95 list.

KoennenTiger

Before taxes... And assuming they need zero of those dollars for living expenses. In reality they probably need it all just to get by.

It’s pretty unrealistic to pay for school with a part time job anymore. Unless you live at home and mom and dad pay for everything.
View attachment 255798

It's gotten pretty bad. Back when I finished uni it was $3500 a semester for a state university. Meanwhile over 20 years ago I worked a FAST FOOD job for $11 an hour, with health insurance, sick days, and paid vacation.

I can't believe how much worse things have gotten just in my lifetime. Boomertards all just gave their bootstraps a firm handshake while making eye contact though.