Yay! I've been hired on permanent!

TLady

Just thought I would share the good news! Does anyone here have suggestions for preloader speed when it comes to loading the trucks? I keep getting pulled away from my trucks to do ereg's and other things, then my slide gets out of control!
But I was recognized for having zero misloads, and being the only person on the preload team to do so :)

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Just thought I would share the good news! Does anyone here have suggestions for preloader speed when it comes to loading the trucks? I keep getting pulled away from my trucks to do ereg's and other things, then my slide gets out of control!
But I was recognized for having zero misloads, and being the only person on the preload team to do so :)
If you are hired permanent then work at your own pace. Doesn't matter if they tell you to hurry up or not. After you get seniority of course. If they don't like your speed then they need to hire someone else to help out. Working fast only gets you more work.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You are "permanent" after working through your probationary period. The length of it varies depending on where you are. It is in the regional/local supplement portion of the union contract. It could be 30, 40, or 70 working days (or something else I haven't heard of). That's 6, 8, or 14 calendar weeks (if you work all 5 days of every week).

Congratulations on zero misloads! Great job!

MendozaJ

Focus on misloads. Work as instructed. Speed and efficiency do not necessarily go hand in hand. You still have to make book.

Octave

Grats!

Follow the methods, speed comes in time and even then it's mostly if you feel like busting your ass. They likely wanted you to write the SPA or pick-n-stick the label when you were seasonal, but as volume dies down a bit it's much easier to load stuff in order without any of that bull:censored2:. I still pick-n-stick the SPA when I have time, but if I don't I just keep it all in my head.

A trick I do, which may not work for everyone, is leaving out all the letters and bags until most of the boxes have stopped coming down the slide. Means I can focus on fitting all the cardboard in as they come and then fit the smalls in between them nicely at the end instead of moving them all about throughout. I only do this if I can find some spare totes, though, and that's often difficult.
You are "permanent" after working through your probationary period. The length of it varies depending on where you are. It is in the regional/local supplement portion of the union contract. It could be 30, 40, or 70 working days (or something else I haven't heard of). That's 6, 8, or 14 calendar weeks (if you work all 5 days of every week).

Congratulations on zero misloads! Great job!
Yeah, I was hired as a preloader (permanent part-time) on 10/21/14, then laid off on 12/24/14 because I didn't have "30 working days". Now, I did, but they said December didn't count. It was pretty shady. But it was my first job and I didn't know better so I turned in my ID and went home. Was told to reapply, so I did, and I rejoined UPS on 6/9/15. I've been trying to educate myself about the union and my rights since then.

As I'm sure people have told you before, I'll reiterate: they'll try to take advantage of you. Once you make seniority, or book, or whatever you call it--when you're no longer on probation--it's very hard to lose your job.

MendozaJ

Yeah, I was hired as a preloader (permanent part-time) on 10/21/14, then laid off on 12/24/14 because I didn't have "30 working days". Now, I did, but they said December didn't count. It was pretty shady. But it was my first job and I didn't know better so I turned in my ID and went home. Was told to reapply, so I did, and I rejoined UPS on 6/9/15. I've been trying to educate myself about the union and my rights since then.

Peak (Oct 15-Jan 15) doesn't count towards making book. Being hired on Oct 15th, I had a nice probationary period of about 100 days.

How long is it before you make book?

40 days in my building.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If you make it as a driver I'll congratulate you. But ups charters a bus daily from my center to the hood to find people willing to do the job...

rod

Retired 22 years
If you make it as a driver I'll congratulate you. But ups charters a bus daily from my center to the hood to find people willing to do the job...

That's the way it was when they built the Egan hub in the suburbs of Minneapolis years ago. Just couldn't get them rich suburb kids to sweat for a low paying job.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
congratulations. welcome to the family.

Gear

Parts on Order

I almost thought we would have a page full of positive replies, then I read yours.

Welcome to UPS, the land of grumpy employees.

Gear

Parts on Order

I almost thought we would have a page full of positive replies, then I read yours.

Welcome to UPS, the land of grumpy employees.