YEAR later 22.3 jobs

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The union for some reason wont fight for these jobs.To me it seems like the union and the company have agreed that the combo jobs were a mistake from the start and are leting the company cut what they want.I dont know if we will see all the combo jobs cut out are not,for now it seems like the union just stands aside and hopes they dont axe all of them.I dont know if this is a huge suprise to me or not because when i first got my combo i thought man they are gonna pay us this much money and guarnte me 40 hrs for doing something i was already doing,it seemed to good to be true and i guess maybe it really was.
next contract. article 22.3 and etc FT job maintainence language removed altogether. That may be a fast one to look for? Funny that FT's in the buildings I worked are far more consistent and always goto work unlike the PT's. I can't tell you how many times there is OT because the PTs don't show up. Maybe because there are so many PT compared to FT it's a natural bias to see it that way.

UPS should just give in and make all jobs FT across the board. Perhaps there are ways to sweeten the deal for the company so it's on equal ground with the way it is now using 98% PT, such as pay we for medical benefits or something like that or and/or keep the top rate in check for a few years ($25/hr in this economy is not too shabby). There would be less attendence issues and better service all -around. I always enjoy going to work the past 4-5 years unlike when PT.

22.34life

next contract. article 22.3 and etc FT job maintainence language removed altogether. That may be a fast one to look for? Funny that FT's in the buildings I worked are far more consistent and always goto work unlike the PT's. I can't tell you how many times there is OT because the PTs don't show up. Maybe because there are so many PT compared to FT it's a natural bias to see it that way.

UPS should just give in and make all jobs FT across the board. Perhaps there are ways to sweeten the deal for the company so it's on equal ground with the way it is now using 98% PT, such as pay we for medical benefits or something like that or and/or keep the top rate in check for a few years ($25/hr in this economy is not too shabby). There would be less attendence issues and better service all -around. I always enjoy going to work the past 4-5 years unlike when PT.
I agree that the part time system should be scraped,they should keep some p/t for the students but it just does not make sense anymore.20 years ago maybe it worked but nowadays even students need a friend/t job.Ups complains about attendance and theft and work ethic,but if you want people to treat this job like a priority then you gotta make it a priority,and 8.5/hr at 18-20 hrs a week aint gonna cut it.Ups would attract a different kind of person if they made this job resonable like lets say $10 hr at 40 hrs a week with guaranted raises.If they dont fix this problem soon this company will be in bad shape.I look around at work and its really sad what the place has gone down to,i remember on the eri the question that asks are you proud to work for ups and the one that ask would you recomend ups to a friend or family member, i always answered these questions yes but not anymore.

brett636

It is a bit unnerving to read what is going on in other locals regarding 22.3 jobs. A lot of that nonsense is not occurring here, but when a job is vacated it is left vacated. Not a single combo job has gone up for bid since the new contract was signed. I fear those of you about the destruction of these jobs in 2013 will be proven right as they will become a bigger and bigger bargaining chip and or sticking point for the company. Our union has shown it despises us as much as the company does so allowing the contract language which keeps our jobs in place to disappear is only one contract away. :(

22.34life

if ups tries to change our language its up to us to vote it down
I dont think my vote really counts if they want combos gone they will be.Even if my vote did count we are outnumbered by p/c and feeder drivers who could care less about these combo jobs so there is no way they will strike for that.Dont you read the tdu panel docket,not one single article 22.3 grievance has been heard yet,while i would like to live in a world where i made a difference and things were done by the contract but the fact is we dont live in that world.I am preparing to not have a combo job by the next contract, it is an unsettling thought but probably the reality.While i have not seen anything like this happening in my local i know one thing,if ups gets away with it one place your sure to have it happen everywhere sooner or later.

outta hours

22.3 jobs were a fantasy from the get go. Seemed like a way easier job than pkg. for just a little less money. And that is what suckered people into taking them. Easy money for less work. People jumped on them with little or no forethought. You had to realize the work you were doing would certainly be the first to be eliminated if the company needed to reduce jobs or have a layoff. I mean in actuality it was 2 p/t positions forced together in the attempt to make it one job.

As a company UPS is even more driven by numbers and the bottom line than ever before. Especially since the stock went public. This is very evident in the recent cuts and district realignments that have occurred. With these drastic measures being taken, one would be foolish to think that the 22.3 jobs would be the next to go.

I do truly feel bad for those who jumped into these jobs and are now facing much uncertainty. The split shift solution may not be ideal, but it still is a way to get your hours in. Some of my friends that had high driver seniority are being affected by these changes. They did have it much easier than I did for the the last few years. But that is of little consolation to them now. They used to compare their work vs. pay to "taking candy from a baby" because it was so easy. There is nothing easy at UPS, we all know that. If what your doing seems "easy" now that could be the next job reduced or eliminated.

It is a different company that we work for now. It is not going back to the " good old days". We must as hourly employees adapt and change with it, or we too will be on the outside looking in.

22.34life

22.3 jobs were a fantasy from the get go. Seemed like a way easier job than pkg. for just a little less money. And that is what suckered people into taking them. Easy money for less work. People jumped on them with little or no forethought. You had to realize the work you were doing would certainly be the first to be eliminated if the company needed to reduce jobs or have a layoff. I mean in actuality it was 2 p/t positions forced together in the attempt to make it one job.

As a company UPS is even more driven by numbers and the bottom line than ever before. Especially since the stock went public. This is very evident in the recent cuts and district realignments that have occurred. With these drastic measures being taken, one would be foolish to think that the 22.3 jobs would be the next to go.

I do truly feel bad for those who jumped into these jobs and are now facing much uncertainty. The split shift solution may not be ideal, but it still is a way to get your hours in. Some of my friends that had high driver seniority are being affected by these changes. They did have it much easier than I did for the the last few years. But that is of little consolation to them now. They used to compare their work vs. pay to "taking candy from a baby" because it was so easy. There is nothing easy at UPS, we all know that. If what your doing seems "easy" now that could be the next job reduced or eliminated.

It is a different company that we work for now. It is not going back to the " good old days". We must as hourly employees adapt and change with it, or we too will be on the outside looking in.

I think it is indeed ironic how p/c drivers fought so hard to bid and get the combo jobs and now many of them are in danger of losing them,i feel very bad for p/c drivers that had 20 plus years in and jumped on a combo job and at least in se texas their senority started over with the change in classifacation now in the event of jobs being cut out they would be some of the first to go.what is really messed up is that a friend/t p/c driver would take such a big pay cut and restart in senority for one of these jobs,it just goes to show how bad p/c has gotten.

Red Dawn

split shifts are never ideal when back to back shifts are available!! And you have a written biding contract that is or should I say was to protect workers in such of an event. With the union not willing to enforce it is worthless. This is only the start. once ups plains all move well in advance. Like a good chess player. after combos the company will move on to package. Cutting older drivers younger drivers.

There is a way to fix the problem. First of all what in the word part time do you not understand. It is a part time job.Take it back to where it was when you had to PROVE you were in college at a guarantee of 3.0 hrs and it did attract a different kind of person.

Red Dawn

but you forget min. wage was 3.25 an hr. and ups was starting you out at $8.00/hr. and the insurance pkg. A collage student could work less hrs than a fast food worker and make the same. Leaving time for school work.

if you want collage kids you will have to pay more. They have to work to pay for school, and everyday life. Times have changed, cost have gone threw the rough to attend.

So would you be willing to freeze pay or keep minimal gains to improve the plight of the part timers? You can't have things both ways. There is only so much money in the pot and unlike gov't UPS cannot print the money or run a national debt like the post office.

22.34life

So would you be willing to freeze pay or keep minimal gains to improve the plight of the part timers? You can't have things both ways. There is only so much money in the pot and unlike gov't UPS cannot print the money or run a national debt like the post office.
are you willing to do these things?

Red Dawn

was reading a thread about time studys using gps. This proves just what i'm saying. Drivers might be safe now.....but in time they will get you. just like the share holders. it's never enough, your bad day can become a bad yr.

Red Dawn

First not sure were you are, but our part timers have better coverage than the full-timers.
i would have been willing to a pay freez or even a cut. Long as it is across the board. Including managment from the pt to the vice president. Managment couldn't make up lose with bounses, stock opp. etc. And the ceo. He should cut his pay back to what the guy before him makes. His ONE pay cut would save this company over 4 million alone!! Fun how it's alway the guys on top telling the guys on bottom that THEY need to be the one to take the pay cut so they don't have to.

JonFrum

The Post Office (or Postal Service, as they are now called) can not run a deficit. By Law they are required to at least break even over time. They are allowed to run a short term deficit so long as they take steps to correct it promptly by raising prices or cutting service. The USPS hasn't been subsidized by taxpayer money since 1983.

JonFrum

There is a way to fix the problem. First of all what in the word part time do you not understand. It is a part time job.Take it back to where it was when you had to PROVE you were in college at a guarantee of 3.0 hrs and it did attract a different kind of person.
Except that that policy is illegal.

browned out

And now the 2nd quarter is out and we made well over 800 Million in profit. Volume is up; where are the Teamsters when we need them to get these jobs we were promised. Probably out golfing with Scott, Oz, and all those who are in bed together. Hell they might have even dug up Jim Casey and Hoffa Sr and had a good ole time.

Fu kin joke.

Red Dawn

And now the 2nd quarter is out and we made well over 800 Million in profit. Volume is up; where are the Teamsters when we need them to get these jobs we were promised. Probably out golfing with Scott, Oz, and all those who are in bed together. Hell they might have even dug up Jim Casey and Hoffa Sr and had a good ole time.

Fu kin joke.

wounder how much of that profit was from taking our combo pay away!?!?:angry: ooohh yea it's now a yr and half sense our combo jobs where taken from us and given to part timers. And they took our pay away. full time hours, insurance, pension, but part time pay!! never mind the contract that has CLEAR language to protect us. still have not seen one case at the national pannel in regaurds to 22.3 from our local. :angry: