You’ll be sorry

oldngray

nowhere special
One thing I've figured out already is that you don't need anywhere near as much money as you think.
I was extra cautious about spending money when I first retired. When I got a feel for how much (or little) I really needed I pretty much stopped worrying about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's only been a couple months and I already miss it. I called and asked if I could unretire and come back but they just laughed. To anybody thinking about retiring I would say you don't know how good you have it, stay with it and you'll be happier. Don't be a fool like me.
Don't worry. When you die and go to Hell your browns will be waiting for you and your truck that has a never ending load too.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I still dream about feeder from time to time. wonder what'sup about that. It is kinda nice to wake up and realize I'm retired. Most of the time I dont even know what day it is unless it's trash day.

rod

Retired 22 years
I still dream about feeder from time to time. wonder what'sup about that. It is kinda nice to wake up and realize I'm retired. Most of the time I dont even know what day it is unless it's trash day.
I still (after 19 years) have a nightmare about UPS once in awhile. The one where your load never ends and every stop is one you have never heard of. I blame it on Brown Café. It a great feeling when you realize it was only a dream. :-)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I retired 5 years ago and am in better physical condition now. just got home from a 2 hour hike. still swim laps and bicycle. get plenty of sleep and eat healthier. people say I look like I'm in my late 30's ( am 64 ) when I have my hat on. do have gray hair .

24 free hours in a day is a lot of time to stay in shape and have fun.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Every day I see articles like this, I just smh

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I retired 5 years ago and am in better physical condition now. just got home from a 2 hour hike. still swim laps and bicycle. get plenty of sleep and eat healthier. people say I look like I'm in my late 30's ( am 64 ) when I have my hat on. do have gray hair .

24 free hours in a day is a lot of time to stay in shape and have fun.
Yup. Ms Jones and I are up at 0500 every morning (gotta beat the heat) to run and workout. I get a solid 8 hours of sleep every night, I already ate pretty healthy but it's even easier now. The health benefits alone are worth it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yup. Ms Jones and I are up at 0500 every morning (gotta beat the heat) to run and workout. I get a solid 8 hours of sleep every night, I already ate pretty healthy but it's even easier now. The health benefits alone are worth it.
probably the best decision I ever made was going out ASAP. being in feeder and working grave yard shift was wearing. slleeping during day only 4-5 hours if lucky, tired on weekends , overweight and little time for exercise.

I saw too many drivers staying too long. buying toys or buying up in a house instead of the other way around. I would SMH when we got a new contract and drivers would go out and buy expensive toys with 5 years of payments figuring the new contract would take care of it instead of maxing out the 401k or saving some cash.

sometimes we would get news of a driver dying only 6 months or less after retiring. this happened like 4-5 times in a couple year period . they stayed way too long and would retire at 65 or older. Just did not make sense to me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
One thing I've figured out already is that you don't need anywhere near as much money as you think.
It is amazing isnt it? I can plan my shopping..one stop and done, except for certain things..I cant believe how much less money I spend. I am happier, less stressed, and time for doing whatever I want, but now cant do much, because of covid. I enjoy cooking, we rarely eat out since I retired. I enjoy being home. Its just awesome...I took it the minute I could. I have worked other jobs part time since, and if they suck, I leave. And I love that part.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have been pretty much quarantined because my dog, (I know crazy dog lady) She just had major surgery on the 27th. Started having issues beginning of March. I quit my pt gig the 28th of March, so I could get her the care she deserved. Her vet got ill, non covid, so I had to find a new vet took forever to get in...I could not imagine having to work, and trying to juggle time for vet appts, etc, and grandkids, while working. And we all know how good UPS is for giving time off.... Went to 4 different vets, 4 differing opinions.. Finally found a country large animal vet. An hour away. 2 said cancer, of those two said euthanize. This guy was very conservative, said we will do this, and go from there. The other 3 were woman vets so....I liked the guy. after a month on antibiotics and coq10 she sailed through surgery, came home with drains, etc. Cannot wear the cone of shame. Took out 9 tumors, none were cancer, and I have to give her the pain meds to keep her down. Shes like 2 yrs old again. She is 12. But for three and a half months, she has needed eyes on 24/7..bleeding tumors... If I were still working I probaly would have put her down. Everything happens for a reason.
Sorry I know this isnt a dog thread. But this is why I love retirement, and besides hating the job the last few years, I wanted time with her, and my family. and I had to share my news somewhere, Lol.. Pretty soon I can go for bike rides and walks again, and go hiking in the woods with my best friend. A real mod can delete if not appropriate. Cheers

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have been pretty much quarantined because my dog, (I know crazy dog lady) She just had major surgery on the 27th. Started having issues beginning of March. I quit my pt gig the 28th of March, so I could get her the care she deserved. Her vet got ill, non covid, so I had to find a new vet took forever to get in...I could not imagine having to work, and trying to juggle time for vet appts, etc, and grandkids, while working. And we all know how good UPS is for giving time off.... Went to 4 different vets, 4 differing opinions.. Finally found a country large animal vet. An hour away. 2 said cancer, of those two said euthanize. This guy was very conservative, said we will do this, and go from there. The other 3 were woman vets so....I liked the guy. after a month on antibiotics and coq10 she sailed through surgery, came home with drains, etc. Cannot wear the cone of shame. Took out 9 tumors, none were cancer, and I have to give her the pain meds to keep her down. Shes like 2 yrs old again. She is 12. But for three and a half months, she has needed eyes on 24/7..bleeding tumors... If I were still working I probaly would have put her down. Everything happens for a reason.
Sorry I know this isnt a dog thread. But this is why I love retirement, and besides hating the job the last few years, I wanted time with her, and my family. and I had to share my news somewhere, Lol.. Pretty soon I can go for bike rides and walks again, and go hiking in the woods with my best friend. A real mod can delete if not appropriate. Cheers
Would have been almost impossible to deal with that while still working. Our cats are pretty happy about their new full time caretaker.