You express guys ready to be embarrassed?

overflowed

Most of the ground drivers I see running like idiots to get off early. I'm assuming because no OT and the flat rate thing. They choose to do that, and now this will add up to an hour longer they have to stay at work. I doubt this will go over well with your drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Same day! They are still working on same Week PUP... good luck, have fun.

Pretty much. I really don't see the average Ground driver being capable of multi-tasking like an Express courier, at least not for $12 per hour. Where is the incentive to have to work harder and smarter for the same crap money?

Almost anyone can straightline a route and do a decent job, especially when there are no hard time deadlines involved. These clowns are about to get an education.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Webpage linked above only mentions the service being offered in Cleveland and Los Angeles. Sucks for the drivers in those markets.

l22

That's not the problem a lot of times. They give a certain commit time and I to race back there to get it and risk missing other pickups and have service failures.

If they give a commit time and you can't meet it by driving the speed limit and not running when out of the truck, sounds like they need to extend the commit time. It's not your problem - you are always using the same proper methods, which include driving the speed limit and not running. You shouldn't be 'racing' to get anywhere. Tell Dispatch early on that you need an extension or the pickup reassigned. If neither of those are possible, there's nothing you can do really to prevent it from being late.

Purplepackage

Now that ground has on calls the only thing left is to get them their own drop boxes, maybe then I'll have somewhere to put the ground package that's been sitting in my box for a week

l22

It's only your problem if you don't let anyone know you can't make the commitment times. Once you tell them, it becomes their problem.
Exactly, once you tell Dispatch, you are in the clear and have CYA. If dispatch does not reply to your message in any way, message them again, 5 minutes later. If dispatch says they can't extend the time or reassign the pickup, that's just too bad - it's going to be late. Not because of you but because there wasn't any help available when you asked for it.

l22

Not according to them.

They're wrong then and are trying to intimidate you. If and when they question you about lates, tell them that you asked dispatch for help as soon as you knew you may not make it and to please check the records if they don't believe you. If "them" and I'm assuming it's your manager is saying something along the lines of you messed up, point out the reality of the situation and of what you are required to do as part of your job - that "as a courier and professional driver, you always use the Courier Best Practices and Defensive Driving techniques the company trained you to use. Please give me a checkride and run my route with me in the passenger seat to show me how I can do a better job."

*****cleared*****

I wish fedex charged more so maybe some of these people who call in every single day would become a regular and/or take their crap to a Dropbox or pack and ship. I hate oncalls with a passion!