"You guys need to get a union!"

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I guess I'm not making my point clear enough.

With only a 22% turnout for the strike vote.... it wasn't going to happen anyway.

It doesn't matter who is IBT president, with those numbers anyone who would call

for a strike is an idiot. So I'm sure when they saw that pathetic total, all bets

were off and the IBT Executive board, the negotiation committee, and President

were like "oh well.... let's see what we can get, and the members can decide".

It wasn't up to him.

And besides, at the 2-man committee they voted (overwhelmingly) to send it

out to the members. Of whom (as we know) less than half could even be bothered.

Don't blame it all on the part-timers.

Clearly UPS was concerned enough about a strike, and what it would mean to their stock price, that they offered to reopen negotiations. That advantage was completely thrown out the window. I mention Denis simply because he was the figurehead and mouthpiece of the negotiations, whoever is to blame didn't represent the members properly.

I don't think 22.4's were the solution to OT that anyone was asking for. Stronger and better enforced 9.5 language, language that would incentivize the company to hire more ground drivers, would have been more in line with the members' interests. That should have been the opener, not 22.4.

And if you remove the uninterested part timers from the equation, we would have easily met the 50% threshold (which would also have authorized a strike). So I can blame it at least partly on them. And you can't blame the members who did bother to vote, so who is left? Interested members who didn't vote, and those whose job it is to organize them.

Whither

Scofflaw
Does anyone really think that a FT union employee making almost $40/hr and a $4000+ monthly pension is going to go on strike for someone who has not even gotten the job yet? Too many times have I heard how the latest concession does not effect them so they are voting yes. Or not vote at all.

Maybe if the International weren't themselves proposing, then touting, concessions to members hand-in-hand with UPS but actually willing to go to bat for us, this wouldn't be so difficult. I get that many people don't have a long-term perspective. Neither, it seems, does our brave and wise leadership.

Clearly UPS was concerned enough about a strike, and what it would mean to their stock price, that they offered to reopen negotiations. That advantage was completely thrown out the window.

Cannot be emphasized enough.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Clearly UPS was concerned enough about a strike, and what it would mean to their stock price, that they offered to reopen negotiations. That advantage was completely thrown out the window.

That's just personal speculation.

I don't think 22.4's were the solution to OT that anyone was asking for. Stronger and better enforced 9.5 language, language that would incentivize the company to hire more ground drivers, would have been more in line with the members' interests. That should have been the opener, not 22.4.

Too bad.... people didn't care enough to vote.

And if you remove the uninterested part timers from the equation, we would have easily met the 50% threshold (which would also have authorized a strike). So I can blame it at least partly on them. And you can't blame the members who did bother to vote, so who is left? Interested members who didn't vote, and those whose job it is to organize them.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.... ?

@zubenelgenubi

I'm not trying to bust your chops.

I appreciate everything you do, in an effort to represent the members.

My observations and opinions, are based on years of experience.

It pisses people off....and reality sucks.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's just personal speculation.

Too bad.... people didn't care enough to vote.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.... ?

@zubenelgenubi

I'm not trying to bust your chops.

I appreciate everything you do, in an effort to represent the members.

My observations and opinions, are based on years of experience.

It pisses people off....and reality sucks.

-Bug-

I don't mind differing perspectives one bit. And UPS made a press release saying they intended to return to negotiations, right before Teamsters announced the contract ratified, that's a fact. As to their motivation for doing so, what else would it have been?

I don't mind differing perspectives one bit. And UPS made a press release saying they intended to return to negotiations, right before Teamsters announced the contract ratified, that's a fact. As to their motivation for doing so, what else would it have been?
Hopefully everyone remembers this next year when we have the IBT election.

Faceplanted

Unironically Amazon in my area literally has liftgate trucks with a 2 man team delivering irregs in my city. They delivered a 90lb item this morning at 6am and delivered a 70 inch tv to my house at 7am a few months ago. I spoke to one of the teams on my route and they laughed when I told them we have to call for help for stuff over 70lb or do it our selves. They are branded amazon trucks, the 2 I saw were Isuzu type small liftgate box trucks.

So without a union amazon employees not only have a higher starting pay rate, but also have these 2 man liftgate teams that lots of driver proposed at amazon.

teamsters are really industry leaders!!!!

Unironically Amazon in my area literally has liftgate trucks with a 2 man team delivering irregs in my city. They delivered a 90lb item this morning at 6am and delivered a 70 inch tv to my house at 7am a few months ago. I spoke to one of the teams on my route and they laughed when I told them we have to call for help for stuff over 70lb or do it our selves. They are branded amazon trucks, the 2 I saw were Isuzu type small liftgate box trucks.

So without a union amazon employees not only have a higher starting pay rate, but also have these 2 man liftgate teams that lots of driver proposed at amazon.

Maybe that $24 surcharge on every package over 50 pounds had something to do with that...

Poop Head

Judge me.

Did you ask them how much they make? And about their benefits and retirement package?

Faceplanted

Maybe that $24 surcharge on every package over 50 pounds had something to do with that...
I think in some areas yes, in some no. Within 5 years amazon will be delivering all their stuff imo. I live in a booming city and I see exactly what they are doing. They are setting an amazing groundwork for a super efficient system, these 2 people teams are how they will handle irregs. They also already have tons and tons of branded trailers and tractors at the mega facility by my house.

Faceplanted

Did you ask them how much they make? And about their benefits and retirement package?
Oh blah blah blah. Our pension is failing in most areas. Their benefits are actually very good and don’t take 1 year. They have to pay for them yes, but not much.

if you can’t see what’s going on and how much ground the Union is loosing your blind. UPS is starting 22.4 drivers at 20hr. Amazon from what iv been told by people who work there are paying their drivers around 17-20hr We’re not leading the industry on :censored2: any more.

I think in some areas yes, in some no. Within 5 years amazon will be delivering all their stuff imo. I live in a booming city and I see exactly what they are doing. They are setting an amazing groundwork for a super efficient system, these 2 people teams are how they will handle irregs. They also already have tons and tons of branded trailers and tractors at the mega facility by my house.

Have you seen their drivers?
They make FedEx ground drivers look like professionals.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Oh blah blah blah. Our pension is failing in most areas. Their benefits are actually very good and don’t take 1 year. They have to pay for them yes, but not much.

if you can’t see what’s going on and how much ground the Union is loosing your blind. UPS is starting 22.4 drivers at 20hr. Amazon from what iv been told by people who work there are paying their drivers around 17-20hr We’re not leading the industry on :censored2: any more.
You think those Amazon driver's will be making 30+ an hour plus benefits in 4 years?