"You guys need to get a union!"

rickyb

Yesterday I pulled up to a resi to deliver a treadmill. Honked, consignee came out and met me on the street. He offered to help only to warn he had injured his wrist. I said, "Don't worry about it" and started dragging the monster with "mechanical-lift only" stickers plastered on the sides up his steep steps with a little help from him. Once we got the damn thing to his porch he said, "I can't believe they have you guys delivering this -- that's freight! Think about your back!" "You're telling me, brother! Unfortunately UPS has had us carrying up to 150lbs since the mid-90s."

He exclaimed, "You guys need to get a union!" I laughed, "We've got one -- we're Teamsters." He shook his head, "It sounds your leadership is distracted."
america needs to get a union. 6% unionization rate? greatest country on earth?

Faceplanted

Unions are stupid in America because we are too stupid to do as the eu does. Force the company to have union representation on the company board. Without that, its us vs them and here we are.

a911scanner

Too bad.... people didn't care enough to vote.-Bug-

Ok, we know your mantra. We also know it's factual. Must you continue to repeat it? Maybe, as a union leader, instead of continually beating the dead horse, you can work to fix it in the future?

Isn't in the Union Leadership's best interest for all members to vote? Why don't the locals work harder at trying to get the members to vote? Showing up to each location once and not really spending much time with the members other than a 5 second "you should vote next week" might go a long way to solve the lack of involvement problem.

I tried to do my part, but local leaders have a lot more sway than a 5 year employee. Let's work towards a solution now, please?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ok, we know your mantra. We also know it's factual. Must you continue to repeat it?

Yep.

And people on BrownCafe, want to continually make excuses for not getting involved.

Isn't in the Union Leadership's best interest for all members to vote? Why don't the locals work harder at trying to get the members to vote? Showing up to each location once and not really spending much time with the members other than a 5 second "you should vote next week" might go a long way to solve the lack of involvement problem.

I'm not going to disagree with that. What other Local's do is their business.

I tried to do my part, but local leaders have a lot more sway than a 5 year employee. Let's work towards a solution now, please?

The solution is.... don't give up. Things don't change overnight.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If it's not the greatest country on Earth, why are so many people from so many other countries so interested in what goes on here? It's like a sick obsession. How about you folks worry about your own countries before concerning yourselves with ours?

rickyb

If it's not the greatest country on Earth, why are so many people from so many other countries so interested in what goes on here? It's like a sick obsession. How about you folks worry about your own countries before concerning yourselves with ours?
you should talk mister 800 military bases worldwide and 8 concurrent wars.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Yesterday I pulled up to a resi to deliver a treadmill. Honked, consignee came out and met me on the street. He offered to help only to warn he had injured his wrist. I said, "Don't worry about it" and started dragging the monster with "mechanical-lift only" stickers plastered on the sides up his steep steps with a little help from him. Once we got the damn thing to his porch he said, "I can't believe they have you guys delivering this -- that's freight! Think about your back!" "You're telling me, brother! Unfortunately UPS has had us carrying up to 150lbs since the mid-90s."

He exclaimed, "You guys need to get a union!" I laughed, "We've got one -- we're Teamsters." He shook his head, "It sounds your leadership is distracted."
Why are you handling over 70’s by yourself?

Whither

Scofflaw

For the record I don't think any countries/nation-states are great. Given the sheer amount of economic, geopolitical, and cultural power/influence the US enjoys, I'd say others can be forgiven for being concerned what happens here.

Whither

Scofflaw
Why are you handling over 70’s by yourself?

Usually it's possible to use the handcart/existing equipment or get help on site to deal with the damn things. Usually. I probably should have called for help in this case, since the consignee had an injured wrist. But it went down like this: after I stopped, he hailed me from the porch and volunteered to help. I pushed the treadmill out the passenger door. He made it down the stairs and then told me about his wrist. I wavered about it; he insisted he'd be fine and started helping anyway. I'm sure I would've abandoned the attempt if I had tried it on my own. We got it done without any lawsuits. In any case, given how steep and tall the staircase was, it would never be a particularly safe lift for a 5x3ft 120lb object.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
For the record I don't think any countries/nation-states are great. Given the sheer amount of economic, geopolitical, and cultural power/influence the US enjoys, I'd say others can be forgiven for being concerned what happens here.

I guess it depends on what you think "great" means. Why is it that we garner so much influence in the world? I think the philosophical ideal of America is great. Clearly we don't generally live up to the ideal, as individuals or collectively. But if you take it in historical context, the culture of liberty, if you will, has spurred on some of the greatest advancements in civilization ever seen.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Basically, the only people you will hear say that are American..And they are typically pretty ignorant to the rest of the world